AR15Armory.com

Thinking it is time to go home to Montana

MontanaLon

It has been 20 years almost since I left. I've been back 3 times. Once a year after I left. The next on my honeymoon and the last when the wife and I decided to start a family.

Friends who still live there tell me I won't recognize it any more.

Have to think of a reason to go and not take the whole family with.

Not take the family, hummm, that requires some thought. From what I have seen of Montana in pictures and movies (a river runs through it) it looks great.

When the wife and you decided to start a family? Is there something in Montana that helps with the "family starting"

Something in the water maybe? Fresh night time air?

Edited by devil duck

Anywhere is better than Illinois.

Certain states deserve to be abandoned, so entrenched is their corruption.

NY, IL, MA, NJ, CT, CA and probably others.

Yes, there are good areas in all states, but ultimately you're under the rule of tyrants in Chicago, or Albany and so on. Why support them with taxes on your labor?

Any state with severe firearms restrictions is a no-go. The only reasons for such laws are tyranny.

Montana may have an influx of newbs, but doubt they'd do well in winter without power. Move back and keep thw state free, if you can manage it.

AHHH, MONTANA! THEN I WILL LIVE IN MONTANA AND WILL MARRY A ROUND AMERICAN GIRL AND WE WILL RAISE RABBITS AND SHE WILL COOK THEM FOR ME.

There's a running joke at my office, if Dr. Young doesn't show up for 3 or 4 days and no one can find him, he is in Montana and you won't be able to find him

I love that state!

• Like 1

Not take the family, hummm, that requires some thought. From what I have seen of Montana in pictures and movies (a river runs through it) it looks great.

When the wife and you decided to start a family? Is there something in Montana that helps with the "family starting"

Something in the water maybe? Fresh night time air?

I need to visit alone or at minimum get a day to myself to do something I need to do. I'd really like to move back and live there but 3 kids and all that, I am probably stuck here until they are all done with school. And since I won't ever retire it's not like I can go when I retire.

As far as the starting a family thing, it just happened to coincide with the Montana trip that we decided it was time. Wife tossed the bc and since it was a second honeymoon things happened quick.

AHHH, MONTANA! THEN I WILL LIVE IN MONTANA AND WILL MARRY A ROUND AMERICAN GIRL AND WE WILL RAISE RABBITS AND SHE WILL COOK THEM FOR ME.

There's a running joke at my office, if Dr. Young doesn't show up for 3 or 4 days and no one can find him, he is in Montana and you won't be able to find him

I love that state!

Hunt for Red October quote?

I love that state!

Hunt for Red October quote?

Yes on the Red October quote

I don't know it this will help or not. You may like it or you may not.

Having lived in seven states, I've experienced the "Go Home' thing many times. Being as old as I am, I've had friends now for over 50 years.

What I can tell you is other than a new building here and a new store there, it doesn't change. That's because people who stay put in life, don't change. They may get kids, rid of a wife, or whatever but they're really no different. Their experience level is very focused, a very narrow range so to say. Those of us who leave, we change.

Here's the kicker, those of us who left can't really tell just by visiting. Its all happy to see you because they know we'll be gone soon. Its worse than vacationers who visit the vacation spots and think they know the area.

Now if that's what you are looking for, there you go. Having lived where you live now, I can see the attraction. Hell when I lived in the Chicago area, I could have moved back to my hometown which is an armpit that's lost half its population since I've been gone and been happy the improvement. The bad part though is if you are truly expecting it to be different then you will most likely be disappointed. You can't really tell until you have been there awhile.

I tell folks when I got out the Army, I went home to discover all the reasons why i left are still there. The next move, we moved 1,500 miles away, never knew a soul, picked the place out for economy, weather, and liked the people. I consider it one of the best moves in my life second to moving here which is kind of like where I grew up less the armpit.

Not much I can say about the tell the family thing. If you are moving away from them semi-permanently no matter what you say its not going to be good enough. If its just for a visit, I usually just use an old friend needs me and don't want you all involved.

Tj

I sense trouble in the waters.

What was your first clue? :bellylaf:

Grasshopper is perceptive.

It isn't trouble, it's closure. It has been almost 18 years and I have yet to visit the grave of my wife and child. I don't think my current wife would understand seeing my name on a headstone with another woman.

Just tell the kids you are moving and go. The longer you wait the less likely you are to make the move.

Hope you make it soon and everything works out.

Thanks

I don't know it this will help or not. You may like it or you may not.

Having lived in seven states, I've experienced the "Go Home' thing many times. Being as old as I am, I've had friends now for over 50 years.

What I can tell you is other than a new building here and a new store there, it doesn't change. That's because people who stay put in life, don't change. They may get kids, rid of a wife, or whatever but they're really no different. Their experience level is very focused, a very narrow range so to say. Those of us who leave, we change.

Here's the kicker, those of us who left can't really tell just by visiting. Its all happy to see you because they know we'll be gone soon. Its worse than vacationers who visit the vacation spots and think they know the area.

Now if that's what you are looking for, there you go. Having lived where you live now, I can see the attraction. Hell when I lived in the Chicago area, I could have moved back to my hometown which is an armpit that's lost half its population since I've been gone and been happy the improvement. The bad part though is if you are truly expecting it to be different then you will most likely be disappointed.

I tell folks when I got out the Army, I went home to discover all the reasons why i left are still there. The next move, we moved 1,500 miles away, never knew a soul, picked the place out for economy, weather, and liked the people. I consider it one of the bet moves in my life second to moving here which is kind of like where I grew up less the armpit.

Not much I can say about the tell the family thing. If you are moving away from them semi-permanently no matter what you say its not going to be good enough. If its just for a visit, I usually just use an old friend needs me and don't want you all involved.

Tj

I'm not leaving my family even temporarily. I just need to visit them and maybe her parents. A day is all I need.

As for moving back there, I don't know how I could make it happen. It isn't really an option and that sort of sucks but not much I can do about it. But it would be a better place for my kids to grow up.

It isn't trouble, it's closure. It has been almost 18 years and I have yet to visit the grave of my wife and child. I don't think my current wife would understand seeing my name on a headstone with another woman.

Thanks

I'm not leaving my family even temporarily. I just need to visit them and maybe her parents. A day is all I need.

As for moving back there, I don't know how I could make it happen. It isn't really an option and that sort of sucks but not much I can do about it. But it would be a better place for my kids to grow up.

Take your family. Don't take them to the cemetery or the parents. Explain what you are there to do and do it. Line out a fun day for them while you take care of your end. Then go have fun with the family.