AR15Armory.com

When starting a new rifle build....

One of the things I have found is how easy it is to Duracoat the parts during the build process.

It is the perfect time, its not dirty yet, so all you have to do is de-grease it. A lot. Do it more. Still more. Spend 3-4 times as much time on de-greasing as you would painting it.

Then go to MidwayUSA and get the two part rattle cans of Duracoat. Then take your time spraying the parts. Duracoat stands up a LOT better than normal rattle cans and allows you to make your rifle any color you want.

Once done spraying, let it sit. The longer the better, It will adhere better if you let it cure a longer time. Weeks is best, if you can wait that long. When you put it together if you mar the paint job, just give it a light touch up.

Just sitting here having random thoughts.

I'm always afraid to mess something up. Especially the brand new something!

But I do have some spare parts here and there collecting dust. I may have to look into this customizing stuff one day. You guys seem to have fun, so why not?

I'm always afraid to mess something up. Especially the brand new something!

But I do have some spare parts here and there collecting dust. I may have to look into this customizing stuff one day. You guys seem to have fun, so why not?

A bit of preplanning and forethought tends to lower the messing up quotient.

Greg

• Like 1

The trick is to try it out on something before you do it on your rifle for the first time. Try duracoating a wrench, or anything. Go through all the steps needed to prep it, then do it. Its easier than you would think. Then see how to not make the mistakes you may have made.

Then do it.

Prep is 99% of the battle when painting something. I like Aluma -Hyde II. The other thing you have to do is come up with a way to suspend the item so you don't have to touch it. The last is patience to let it properly dry before you mess with it. The Aluma Hyde II dries pretty fast on the outside and cures in week. I thought I had chipped my Ruger 10-22 finish one time. It chipped the finish of what it fell against.

• Like 1