AR15Armory.com

Kids and PTSD

devil duck

PTSD is a real problem. But it's an acronym that people need to remember. Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Traumatic. Meaning real trauma. The mind sometimes cannot cope with some of the things that it is forced to deal with that shock the individual's consciousness. A child too young to understand the concept of death will not be traumatized by reports of death. It's something they don't get, therefore, can't be traumatized. Once children understand it in an intellectual way, it's up to parents to explain the context. Trying to dumb it down too much cripples the children. They don't get it. Unfortunately, my kids are reminded of death on a regular basis. Every day, they watch me put on my vest, gunbelt, and grab my rifle. They asked questions, and by the time they were able to understand death, I had to explain it to them, why I carry what I carry, and why I do what I do. They aren't traumatized, they're able to process the world around them. Now, if you were to take them and throw them into a war zone like the streets if Iraq or Chicago, yeah. Those are scenes that most normal people aren't able to process properly, and seeing that sort of thing may leave some psychological scars requiring professional help.

Kids watching the news, reading current events, unless their parents won't speak to them, won't be traumatized. FFS, prior generations had "duck and cover" drills in schools because they were worried about the threat of nuclear war, and no one was traumatized by that.

• Like 1

Lots of different ways PTSD manifests itself also & treatment has sort of pulled away from drugs to CBT & other therapies, dogs, acupuncture all have viable methods to treat it.

You also have to meet the DSM criteria for PTSD, what Axis the person falls under & the GAF score among other things/tests and then if yore military they have a different percentage rating on the severity of your PTSD & how it's service connected...for what it's worth, I'm 50% service connected for PTSD-Combat. However, since I never filed a mental health C&P the VA never told me that and I had to file a separate C&P for mental health issues to find it out & when I went in for my exame what normally is a 2 hour block took less than 30 min, was in and out after taking the memory test and financial test....Was told by the Doc she had more than enough evadance and she just needed these 2 simple tests to show what my memory is like and that I can take care of my own finances. I still do not know what they found or what was used to justify that 50%, I've asked for my C-file almost a year ago and have yet to receive it...

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/understanding_PTSD.html

Edited by Rampy
  • Like 1

PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

So, what is trauma?

• a deeply distressing or disturbing experience
  • physical injury

Unless it happened to you, we can rule out the second definition. So, this boils down to how we perceive things. In the case of a child, particularly when they are in their formative years, they perceive things as their parents do, but tend to go overboard with this reaction. So if a parent shows fear of an event, the child may be afraid of it for life.

Hence the self perpetuating problem of snowflakes.

• Like 1

Do you not think it's possible some kid might be affected if his sister or friend were killed in the attack? How about if his or her sibling was killed or injured, and then it was endlessly repeated on Facebook? Do you think there might be any chance at all a kid might be affected?

PTSD is the biggest psychological scam since bi-polar.

I am not insulting anyone who has been diagnosed with same.

I am not saying you do not have a condition that needs attention.

It is on the psychologists side of the desk where the problem lays.

• Like 1

Severe trauma is real. PTSD is real. It's like having a dog shock collar around your neck and you never know when you're going to get hit.

Matt

No one saying it isn't real, just questioning the validity of the self diagnosis of the parents with kids who see terrorism on TV.

I have to laugh at the news sometimes. They will give the warning "The video we are about to show is EXTREMELY GRAPHIC and may not be suitable for all viewers" and then they run a clip with zero graphic violence or with the graphic parts blurred out.

Please, kids see more graphic stuff playing GTA and they can't even deal with that apparently.

• Like 1

No one saying it isn't real, just questioning the validity of the self diagnosis of the parents with kids who see terrorism on TV.

All the article was saying was that if parents see something unusual, they should maybe give their doctor a call to check it out. I don't see what the big deal is, or why that has anything to do with a leftist agenda.

Do you not think it's possible some kid might be affected if his sister or friend were killed in the attack? How about if his or her sibling was killed or injured, and then it was endlessly repeated on Facebook? Do you think there might be any chance at all a kid might be affected?

Yes. But we're not talking about kids whose close friends or relatives were killed. We're talking about kids who watch the news or hear about attacks. We're talking about parents who are too lazy to give context and explain things to their children. It's pretty simple to put in terms even a child can understand.

"There are bad people in the world that do bad things to good people, instead of trying to talk about their differences and work it out like all people should. Sometimes good people get hurt, and while we do everything we can to stop it, sometimes we can't. We just have to be careful, and not let bad people come around to hurt us. That's my job, to keep the bad people away from you. And since you're ok, that means I'm pretty good at my job, right?" In just a few sentences, I explained it in such a way that three year olds can get, and help them cope with things that they see or hear. And if they're of the age that they're on Facebook or watching the news regularly, they're of an age when they can understand what's going on too.

• Like 1

All the article was saying was that if parents see something unusual, they should maybe give their doctor a call to check it out. I don't see what the big deal is, or why that has anything to do with a leftist agenda.

Because then you have a mental health entry in your child's medical record that will follow them for the rest of their lives. If the kid is acting out, or doing something that suggests a mental illness, or that they need to talk to a counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist, great. Do that. But suggesting kids get serious mental disorders from hearing the evening news and need treatment, disability, and to be coddled by not only society but by extension, is part of the leftist agenda. The more people dependent upon the state for their very existence, the more people that are comfortable with the state making all their decisions for them.

• Like 1

Having grown up with my neighbors coming home in a box and Vietnam on nightly news, its not that it couldn't, its don't care. Its mom and dad's job to control the TV remove, not mine or society.

Tj

Having grown up with my neighbors coming home in a box and Vietnam on nightly news, its not that it couldn't, its don't care. Its mom and dad's job to control the TV remove, not mine or society.

Tj

Unfortunately, the TV remote is not the problem anymore.

It's also Mom and Dad's job to be aware of any issues concerning their children.

Because then you have a mental health entry in your child's medical record that will follow them for the rest of their lives. If the kid is acting out, or doing something that suggests a mental illness, or that they need to talk to a counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist, great. Do that. But suggesting kids get serious mental disorders from hearing the evening news and need treatment, disability, and to be coddled by not only society but by extension, is part of the leftist agenda. The more people dependent upon the state for their very existence, the more people that are comfortable with the state making all their decisions for them.

This is in England. And who are we (except Rasputin) to say it couldn't happen? Medical information advances. When we were kids, we didn't worry about brain injuries from playing football. No we know better. Should we just ignore that too?