2 meke

How to Catfish.

My daughters class is studying conservation and in particular, the catfish. Some knucklehead released them a few years ago into a lake thats about 20 x 20 miles big and now they have become a pest.

Whats the best way of trapping these things.? They are on the goverments noxious weed list so its kill on site,no size ,or bag limit 24/7 365 days a year.

So...how do we get these suckers.

Stink bait and a fishing pole. That night get a deep fat fryer, fries, hush puppys and a crowd.

eww i don't want to eat them, want to wipe them out. :D: Ugly little beasts. I've never seen one in real life but the photos make me feel like stomping them into goo.

They are great eating. The catfish market is huge in the US and growing.

The cooked catfish looks okay. Do you think a set net would work okay on them? They kinda look smooth with no jaggy fins to snag up with.

Fish traps baited with perferated dog food can is the best.

Cheapest is trot lines.

There's a lot of different catfish, Most are bottom feeders. Blue channels are not. The bottom feeders thrive when there is crap in the water. They're actually desirable in aquariums because they clean the tanks without doing that much harm on the other fish. Its the same in lakes. Don't be surprised you do manage to wipe them out in a lake, you create an unintended consequence that is worse than the original problem.

I actually fish for channel cats. Its one of the best eating fish and puts up a hell of a fight. Bass will bite on anything and taste like crap. If it wasn't for impress my buddy, nobody would fish for them.

Tj

The cooked catfish looks okay. Do you think a set net would work okay on them? They kinda look smooth with no jaggy fins to snag up with.

No, same thing. They are bottom feeders so nets would have a real issue. Its why lobsters are trapped not net.

Nets are also nondiscriminatory and where cats are one of the toughest fish in the water, other fish aren't. Even if it did work, you'd kill more other fish than cats. Might as well use poison and then repopulate like a fish farm.

Tj

The only large scale way i have seen it to drain the lake or turn the lake over.

21552403_10212832299578956_1441355538_n.

Thats a trap there what the ranger - dude on the right is showing the kids, These the sort of traps you guys use in usa. We use these for eels.

21469468_10212832296378876_730309779_n.j

Investigating what they are eating and it looks like fresh water crayfish. They are becoming a real pain in the butt fish.

Brother Catfishing is a huge deal in America. They taste fantastic and are a blast to catch. The really big ones are not as tasty but still good. Please do not go on looks alone, think "PIG" They are not the best looking animal in the kingdom but man do they taste good. Catfish is kinda like that, little ugly but taste great.

Catfish have three "spines" bones that you have to be careful of. One at the top fin and one at each side fin. These are very sharp.

http://www.catfishedge.com/how-to-hold-catfish/

eww i don't want to eat them, want to wipe them out. :D: Ugly little beasts. I've never seen one in real life but the photos make me feel like stomping them into goo.

Fried catfish is some of the tastiest stuff ever made........you let folks taste this and soon they will be an endangered species....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-fried-catfish-recipe-1918997

http://www.wikihow.com/Skin-and-Clean-Catfish

Edited by gshayd

Couple of 747s of southern fishermen would take care of the problem.

We have some at the farm that if you drop them head first in a 5gal bucket, 1/4 full of water, the bucket will fall over. We don't eat that size so we just through them on the bank and shoot them. Helps control the population.