hzhardy

Form 2 (full auto) RPD build

As you guys may have seen, I traded my favorite Adams Arms complete rifle for a RPD kit with receiver and original barrel.

359fae3fe147cf2266dfed1ee544cb11.jpg

Even though some of you see me as gloater (I feel i am just show case-ing my business?) many of you asked me to document this build.

Either way, today I started the build. First I modified the bolt to fit the semi auto DSA receiver. By modifying the bolt to fit I am actually creating a registered bolt conversion kit. This is preferred in my opinion because if I give up my sot I can destroy or transfer to another dealer the kit and keep my rpd since it is a postie sample.

ef9febeda334610e6d02240d4de1bfdb.jpg4999f020fcb61a65e0f79aff091e0337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hzhardy

I also modified the lower receiver/grip frame to fit the DSA receiver. Many people will just lope off the front section, but i wanted to keep the serial number since it is a all matching kit.

4fcb2416f9d695cb13b0edcd94c833b4.jpg

c35ce537e82ae437467de7c64137eed9.jpg

This is just beginning but a huge step towards completing this build. Next I need to remove the barrel from the receiver stub and prepare it to have the shank turned down in my lathe.

5255f0b381f84612c7e32a096bccce68.jpgf44722f005aed9da8768e6125e4a0685.jpge992f7444ee070e116da1cc9f56e7dde.jpg

I really think if i wanted to rush on of these just to make it function, i could slap this mg together in about 3 hours. But, i plan on taking the time to refinish and make this thing look brand new off the line. Hell the kit looks unfired!

Thats pretty neat Homer. BTW, that serial # is fitting for you.

i knownright! It was ment to be!

No kidding! :laugh:

Well I pushed through today and got it into a firing condition. I have felt like crap with a cold, so photography was not on my mind while running a lathe with snot dripping off my face. It has turned out to be a shatty day as i found out i have no way to feed it tomorrow when I go out to the farm... freak!!! You have no idea how disappointing it is to get ready for a range trip and the freaking links I had in the safe that I thought were for a RPD are actually for a freaking mg42... Either way here is a picture of my useless damn MG. Ahhhhh!!!!!

e5b846f22d1e28c1b2390d4710818689.jpg

I am going to drink a couple beers and pass out. Good night I will post more specifics on what was done today later when I calm down.

Edited by hzhardy

Ok, well today, for the build I fit the charging handle to the reciever which was actually farely easy. It just took a few swipes of a file and it slipped into the channel. I then pressed the barrel pin out of the stub and cut the reciever section on the mill so I could just break it off. With that done I was able to clamp the muzzle end in my lathe with soft jaw and turn the shank on center on the tail stock to a few thousands over reciever dimension for a press fit. With the barrel pressed in I place the hole assembly back in the mill and drilled the barrel pin hole and drove in a new pin. I then finished up to were I currently fitting flapper lugs to reciever to set head space.

To finish this one off, I need to drill and install a detent for the rear take down pin, card and blue reciever and install drum mounting bracket then rivet top cover axis. Doesnt sound like to much left!!

That's really cool looking!

Shot it today, it is very ammo sensitive. It gates soft points and hollow points which would make since with such a violent action. But, i will say it is pretty damn accurate being what it is!

Shot it today, it is very ammo sensitive. It gates soft points and hollow points which would make since with such a violent action. But, i will say it is pretty damn accurate being what it is!

Good to know!

I know i forgot to lock charging handle back forward...

Edited by hzhardy

Finally got time to get it back out to run a belt of fmjs and it worked perfect!

Sorry about orientation..

Edited by hzhardy