edteach

Storing powder and primers

I just moved to NW Arkansas. Its cooler here in summer than Fla and less humid any day. I used to keep my powder in the laundry room. I had a lot more cabinets then I do now so its not an option. I was thinking of putting up a metal cabinet in the garage. How do you guys recommend storing your powders and primers?

Most of my reloading equipment, including my bench, is in the garage, which I hate because it’s a never ending battle to keep things from getting rusty. However, I keep my powder and primers, and most of my components, inside where it’s climate controlled and very little temperature change and a lot less humidity.

Any cool dry place. I keep mine in a cabinet in the reloading room in the finished basement. The basement is bone dry.

Darrell

Dry and cool place, temperature controlled. All of my primers and powder is stored indoors. No exceptions.

I have more powder and primers than most gun shops.... I keep mine on shelves in my main room. (I live in a very small apartment) Just keep them out of extremes and wet areas and you'll be fine.

An old freezer or Refrigerator with NOT working is what your looking for . It's insulated closable and can be made lockable . Place Desiccant packets inside or an electric dehumidifier !. It really depends on powder quantity and time usage /storage factor on which one works best for YOU ...

http://www.dehumidifierbuyersguide.com/desiccant-dehumidifier-reviews/

I don’t have a ton of powder right now so mine is in a Tupperware drink container and it’s stored in a toolbox with my primers in my master closet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have a ton of powder right now so mine is in a Tupperware drink container and its stored in a toolbox with my primers in my master closet

Any particular reason you don't store it in the original container?

Any particular reason you don't store it in the original container?

Yes. I was out and didn’t have enough empty brass to justify buying more powder so when I was at my Fathers house I helped myself to some of his.

It's in the fire resistant gun safe. About half my capacity is for ammo and reloading.

Yes. I was out and didnt have enough empty brass to justify buying more powder so when I was at my Fathers house I helped myself to some of his.

Fair enough! :laugh:

I'll go a little bolder than most, anyone who is into gun collecting period, should own a dehumidifier and control humidity levels. It doesn't matter what room you do it in. As for powder and primers, cooler the better.

I don’t have a ton of powder right now so mine is in a Tupperware drink container and it’s stored in a toolbox with my primers in my master closet

This could be problematic as the chemicals in the powder MAY interact with the plastic. This is why they tell us not to leave powder in the hopper for extended periods of time on our measures. Also the original containers are designed to split open in a fire and spill out without any real fanfare. A regular style plastic one may have issues.

Greg

This could be problematic as the chemicals in the powder MAY interact with the plastic. This is why they tell us not to leave powder in the hopper for extended periods of time on our measures. Also the original containers are designed to split open in a fire and spill out without any real fanfare. A regular style plastic one may have issues.

Greg

I did not know this.

I did not know this.

That's one reason they tell you to store it in the original containers besides the identification aspect. Just like primers should always be stored in the original sleeves. I've seen some after action pics of explosions after guys put them in glass jars and dropped them. The original IED. :bignono:

Greg