edteach

Storing powder and primers

That's one reason they tell you to store it in the original containers besides the identification aspect. Just like primers should always be stored in the original sleeves. I've seen some after action pics of explosions after guys put them in glass jars and dropped them. The original IED. :bignono:

Greg

That, and I believe UV light can break down the powder components, which is why it's usually in a black plastic or (used to be) cardboard bottle.

That's one reason they tell you to store it in the original containers besides the identification aspect. Just like primers should always be stored in the original sleeves. I've seen some after action pics of explosions after guys put them in glass jars and dropped them. The original IED. :bignono:

Greg

It's also why it's supposed to be stored in a wooden storage container instead of a metal enclosure. Less of an issue in case of fire. Less "grenade" effect.

Good to know all of this. I hope to not have it for very long. I have 500 rounds to shoot then I can reload them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually powder primers in any real quantities , should be stored in a vault preferably in the ground within their original packaging !.

A simple make shift unit is an old fridge or freezer preferably NOT WORKING . Contents stays relatively even Temp and humidity is easily controlled .

Another make shift set up is a Wooden box , lined with Dbl layers of 5/8" drywall kept close either on the floor or very near the floor .

I've used all #3 and have NEVER had an issue . I would NOT use Glass Plastic or any Ferrous metal containers ,your just asking for PROBLEMS !!!...

FYI : Anytime powder is stored in anything less than an actual magazine or vault ,it's advisable too have weak sided or top cover which can VENT in case of a catastrophic event . I make a 6" hole in the back of the old Fridge up in the freezer section , then cover it with thin sheet metal 22-26 gauge .. .

Edited by BushXM15

I think desiccant humidifier would be best to store powder and primers instead of a electric dehumidifier you can read this blog for more details review

I agree. I didn't see anyone advocating to use a dehumidifier for this purpose. It is not a real usable method in most situations. Far better to keep them in a cabinet IMHO. 

Welcome to the board. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Greg

Welcome Jonas879

On 2/12/2020 at 2:43 PM, jonas879 said:

I think desiccant humidifier would be best to store powder and primers instead of a electric dehumidifier you can read this blog for more details review

Yes, I agree with you on this

3 hours ago, ChristopherThornberry said:

Yes, I agree with you on this

Welcome to teh board.  

The very best way is to move to Arizona and store your components indoors...LOL

Greg

What is considered to be the maximum room temperature where smokeless gun powder is stored?

From ADI out of Australia.

An average storage temperature below 25 ºC is recommended to obtain a safe shelf life of at least 10 years from the date of packing. Increased storage temperature will reduce the safe shelf life significantly – by approximately one-third for every 10 ºC above 25 ºC.

Greg

25 C is 77 F.

• Like 1