AR15Armory.com

People Freak Out After Oregon Strikes Law Banning Self-Service Gas Stations

Zephyr One/Zero

We have several stations that have one pump dedicated to "full service".

Those people who want their gas pumped and other things checked for whatever reason

can do so as long as they are willing to pay the higher price. Since many of our young people

are intelligently leaving the State for better job prospects and freedom, it concentrates the elderly population,

and a number the local stations offer the service. We even have a couple of stations (just a couple) in the area that still do some repairs along

with selling gas. In my day, many times the place you got gas is where you took your car for service.

It was good way to get to know the guy who owned the shop, and how he ran his business.

However, every self service gas station must pump the gas of any disabled person

who wants their gas pumped at no additional charge. They don't do the fluid checks, though,

just pump the gas. It may be a State law or fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act, I'm

not sure which.

The Oregon Law does not prohibit stations from offering some full service pumps, does it ?

We have several stations that have one pump dedicated to "full service".

Those people who want their gas pumped and other things checked for whatever reason

can do so as long as they are willing to pay the higher price. Since many of our young people

are intelligently leaving the State for better job prospects and freedom, it concentrates the elderly population,

and a number the local stations offer the service. We even have a couple of stations (just a couple) in the area that still do some repairs along

with selling gas. In my day, many times the place you got gas is where you took your car for service.

It was good way to get to know the guy who owned the shop, and how he ran his business.

However, every self service gas station must pump the gas of any disabled person

who wants their gas pumped at no additional charge. They don't do the fluid checks, though,

just pump the gas. It may be a State law or fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act, I'm

not sure which.

The Oregon Law does not prohibit stations from offering some full service pumps, does it ?

Yes, all of our stations must have a way to notify the cashier inside to aid the handicapped at the pumps. Also today's cars don't burn much oil so the oil check at every fill up is not required anymore.

Yup...we have a lot of first world problems in this here great state.

I think this backlash is more about not knowing what the hell you are doing vs. any fuel cost issues or unemployment rates.

If ya do it right you won't smell like gasoline.

What's weird is that us diesel owners can pump our own diesel fuel and always have been allowed to do so regardless of area or population limits.

Edited by SRT8Driver

I think it's funny that non-residents can run their yaps about our laws, without knowing a damned thing about it. Our gas prices are lower than Idaho, Washington, and California, despite not having a single refinery in-state. Does anyone think that the gas stations are going to magically lower prices if they dismiss the attendants? Please.

If this had gone to the voters of Oregon, they'd have killed it, as they have quite literally, dozens of times. The people behind pushing self service is the gasoline retailers, they're not going to lower their prices a penny if we were to allow self-serve, they'll just have slightly less overhead.

• Like 3

It reminds me of the doom and gloom predicted as states resisted CCW even though all the other states with it demonstrated that was not the apocalypse. Oregon won't burn down and competition will moderate gas prices as employees are usually the largest costs for businesses.

Edited by gmor

I think it's funny that non-residents can run their yaps about our laws, without knowing a damned thing about it. Our gas prices are lower than Idaho, Washington, and California, despite not having a single refinery in-state. Does anyone think that the gas stations are going to magically lower prices if they dismiss the attendants? Please.

If this had gone to the voters of Oregon, they'd have killed it, as they have quite literally, dozens of times. The people behind pushing self service is the gasoline retailers, they're not going to lower their prices a penny if we were to allow self-serve, they'll just have slightly less overhead.

Although I did not (IMO) "run my yap" (give an opinion?) on Oregon's gas station law, I did talk about how we do it in Southern Illinois,

and indulged in a little nostalgia for the days when you picked the place you bought gas locally on whether or not the owner was a good and honest mechanic. It was great having your mechanic

keeping an eye on your car, and I would bet it helped prevent many small problems turning into big problems. This was at a time when all cars needed more regular maintenance by far than they do now. On the other hand, especially before he had to do more traveling, my Dad and I did tuneups, brake jobs, wheel bearing maintenance, etc. Ever clean and re-pack the grease in a car wheel bearing. I bet most young mechanics have not, they have been expensive sealed units for quite some time.

Another thing that came to mind was friendly good customers like my Dad who could get away with starting pumping the gas themselves. Like the "Cheers"

bar of the gas station world, everyone got to know your name. In fact, in one place we lived, our family became lifelong friends with the owner of the gas station/garage we patronized,and his family. I still remember going to his wedding. I know these were experiences that gave me great respect for small business owners, and also made me realize the long hours and hard work it involved.

My Dad was a comptroller and auditor, and I remember him helping with "the books" and filing taxes.

If you would be so kind, I am curious as to if the new Oregon law prohibits a gas station from operating any full service pumps for the

non-handicapped, as long as they have some self service pumps too.

If I remember correctly in Illinois, they changed the law to allow self service gas stations.

Before the change, the gas had to be pumped by an attendant.

Would you be willing to honor my request for information, please ?

Thanks,

John

This thread gave me a chance to stroll down a memory lane I have not taken in quite some time.

Maybe a little odd, but fun nonetheless.

I still remember when every gas station had a little hut on the island the attendant would sit in waiting for customers and the change machines they wore on their belts.

We have 1 station in town that does full service. It is hugely popular with older folks and we have tons of them.

It is a job creator and I like it. My only gripe about not being able to fill my own tank when I travel in Oregon is I have to carry enough cash to pay for my gas the entire time I travel in state. I have had an attendant see my out of state plates and skim my debit card before. That card was then used in Canada to the tune of 1200 bucks. I only pay with cash now when I travel up there. I also hauled gasoline into Oregon for ten years and yes the prices were lower than anywhere else.

We have two stations in town that offer full service. One is a full service station, no food, toys, chips, beer or drinks other than a machine. But they have 3 full service bays, tires and a parts store next door. The other sells actually LEADED gasoline.

Actually three, I forgot about the Co Op, they will if you need them too.

This is ridiculous. I grew up in SoCal and got my license right when I turned 16. I moved to Oregon 4 years ago... From 2008 until now, I have never once deliberately sprayed myself with gasoline while filling my tank. I think it's pretty easy to figure out...

I do like that one comment though. Someone stated that they were disabled and needed help. My opinion... if you're disabled to the point where you cannot pump your own gas, my guess is that you probably should not be operating a 1/2 ton+ motor vehicle.

. My opinion... if you're disabled to the point where you cannot pump your own gas, my guess is that you probably should not be operating a 1/2 ton+ motor vehicle.

Better hope you never break an arm or a leg then......or maybe all the folks in wheel chairs and specially outfitted cars should just stay home too. I delivered fuel to every gas station in that town you currently live in...saw more people drive off with nozzles in the tank than anywhere else I went.

While I prefer to pump my own fuel it is sure handy to have an attendant when on crutches.

Better hope you never break an arm or a leg then......or maybe all the folks in wheel chairs and specially outfitted cars should just stay home too. I delivered fuel to every gas station in that town you currently live in...saw more people drive off with nozzles in the tank than anywhere else I went.

While I prefer to pump my own fuel it is sure handy to have an attendant when on crutches.

I'm not denying that it would be helpful if injured, but I also feel like people are becoming overly upset about all this as well and looking for reasons to justify their disapproval. There's always a rare circumstance where people would beed extra help. But again, if someone has a broken arm and cannot pump his/ her own gas, consider how simple of a movement that is to do. This same individual most likely cannot operate a moving vehicle safely with all the various movements and biomechanics involved in turning the steering wheel, shifting, etc. I'm more so arguing the safety stand point to this.

I'm not denying that it would be helpful if injured, but I also feel like people are becoming overly upset about all this as well and looking for reasons to justify their disapproval. There's always a rare circumstance where people would beed extra help. But again, if someone has a broken arm and cannot pump his/ her own gas, consider how simple of a movement that is to do. This same individual most likely cannot operate a moving vehicle safely with all the various movements and biomechanics involved in turning the steering wheel, shifting, etc. I'm more so arguing the safety stand point to this.

My brother drove accident free for may years using hand controls in his '56 Chevy convertible and '70 BMW 2002.

Edited by gmor

It's more often than rare to need assistance to pump fuel. I guess it depends on how much time you have spent watching people fuel up. Myself, I delivered 50 millions gallons of fuel over ten years and saw it everyday.

My brother drove accident free for may years using hand controls in his '56 Chevy convertible and '70 BMW 2002.

There are more people driving special cars than most realize.