AR15Armory.com

Rotator Cuff Reconstruction!

gmor

Well I'm going in tomorrow at 9:30 to get my left shoulder fixed. Last December my right rotator cuff was fixed and now it is time for the left. I badly injured it in a bicycle wreck in front of the Capital Building in DC in the early 90s, and then reinjured it in a rafting accident in the Grand Canyon in 2011. The good news is that it is my left shoulder this time so life will be easier than learning to do everything left handed as was the case last year. The bad news is that the procedure will be more radical this time and require cadaver tissue in a reconstruction of the tendons. They tried regular rotator cuff surgery on it in 2013 but it was not successful. Anyway, I will be in a sling for several months. This will make 3 shoulder surgeries and 4 knee surgeries since 2009.

Edited by gmor

Best of luck man. Even though it's a more radical surgery, having the tendon reconstructed from a fresh/ frozen cadaver will hopefully be a great route for a long-term remedy. Just do all the rights things and do all your PT exercises as soon as you're able in order to minimize losing any range of motion.

Yes, prayers will go out for your speedy recovery. Incidently, I will be in a similar nonfunctional state sometime this month. I have to go tomorrow to pay for and schedule a total knee replacement surgery. It will be my 4th an (hopefully) final surgery on this knee.

Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

Mike

Yes, prayers will go out for your speedy recovery. Incidently, I will be in a similar nonfunctional state sometime this month. I have to go tomorrow to pay for and schedule a total knee replacement surgery. It will be my 4th an (hopefully) final surgery on this knee.

Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

Mike

Good luck with that new knee.....aren't you a tad young for that surgery? What is the life span of the new knee?

I have acquired bad knees from bad genes and working them too much. My fear is they will need more work in the future. I have already had one arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. It took a few years for it to feel the same as my left knee....now they both feel the same....weak as a baby..

Good luck with that new knee.....aren't you a tad young for that surgery? What is the life span of the new knee?

I have acquired bad knees from bad genes and working them too much. My fear is they will need more work in the future. I have already had one arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. It took a few years for it to feel the same as my left knee....now they both feel the same....weak as a baby..

I had both my knees totally replaced in January 2013 when I was 57 and they work great. Thier longevity is dependent on your weight and lifestyle, but in general they say about 20+ years with today's models. Bicycling is a great exercise as there is no pounding on the knees and I did 2063 miles last year. If you need knee replacements don't delay, end the suffering now. You won't regret it.