AR15Armory.com

Official Photo Test Thread

bamashooter

I know I am a computer moron, but it sure would be nice to have an easier way to post pictures.

I can't remember if it was the coyote or the bobcat in the backyard, but that was the only

picture I have ever posted.

It took awhile for the wife to figure it out, :segrin:

and that was before the Imgur service had to be used.

I can attach photos to emails or to texts in a couple of clicks.

Since I am low tech, I don't understand why the same thing can't be done here.

Well, since you asked...

If you are able to attach a photo here, that would mean it was uploaded to our server. Now, photo hosting is a feature for patrons here, but if everyone could do it, we'd be buried in no time at all. I admit that the photo hosting portion of the site could be more user friendly, but it's an add-on to the actual forum software, which in and of itself, is kinda expensive to purchase. Also, if we allow files to be attached to posts instead of photos being hosted somewhere and just displayed here, then this could turn into virus central. We would have no idea if the files attached to posts contained viruses or not, and just one "infected" file would be enough to ground a few thousand computers in short order.

That's my understanding of how this stuff works. If we had an unlimited budget, then it might be an option, because everything could be run through our own anti-virus software, and our own screening for uploaded files. But since we don't, this is the easiest way to protect the membership.

Well, since you asked...

If you are able to attach a photo here, that would mean it was uploaded to our server. Now, photo hosting is a feature for patrons here, but if everyone could do it, we'd be buried in no time at all. I admit that the photo hosting portion of the site could be more user friendly, but it's an add-on to the actual forum software, which in and of itself, is kinda expensive to purchase. Also, if we allow files to be attached to posts instead of photos being hosted somewhere and just displayed here, then this could turn into virus central. We would have no idea if the files attached to posts contained viruses or not, and just one "infected" file would be enough to ground a few thousand computers in short order.

That's my understanding of how this stuff works. If we had an unlimited budget, then it might be an option, because everything could be run through our own anti-virus software, and our own screening for uploaded files. But since we don't, this is the easiest way to protect the membership.

I very much appreciate the bottom line.

It is always better to know the reasoning behind a situation than to be kept in the dark.

Thank you !

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...