towtruck

Safariland Comp 1 speed loaders.

Anyone here use them? I am wanting to switch over from my HKS twist tops to these as they look more user friendly and faster.

I will be using them in a SP101 five shot 357 magnum.

Yep, I use them. I much prefer them to the HKS ( even though they are made in Kentucky ~at least they were~ ) they are more user-friendly and faster. The Comp I is more compact also. I use them in my Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum.

I also use the Comp II in my Ruger GP 100 .357 Magnum.

I also use the Comp III in my Ruger GP 100 and Smith and Wesson model 10 when I play games, and also carry them in colder weather as the much larger size doesn't matter to much in concealing them, plus the larger size helps in handling them with cold hands. Plus the Comp III spring loaded and "eject" the rounds into the cylinder, which speeds up reloads some.

After using the Comp l,II, and III I will never buy more HKS speedloaders, I still have my old ones and use them some but the Safariland Comps are far superior.

Plus I have never had the Safariland Comps accidentally drop rounds because the knob got turned, the Safariland Comps don't work like that, the cylinder is what releases the rounds, so there is no accidentally turning the knob.

Like I said, I much prefer the Safariland Comps to the HKS speedloaders.

Yep, I use them. I much prefer them to the HKS ( even though they are made in Kentucky ~at least they were~ ) they are more user-friendly and faster. The Comp I is more compact also. I use them in my Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum.

I also use the Comp II in my Ruger GP 100 .357 Magnum.

I also use the Comp III in my Ruger GP 100 and Smith and Wesson model 10 when I play games, and also carry them in colder weather as the much larger size doesn't matter to much in concealing them, plus the larger size helps in handling them with cold hands. Plus the Comp III spring loaded and "eject" the rounds into the cylinder, which speeds up reloads some.

After using the Comp l,II, and III I will never buy more HKS speedloaders, I still have my old ones and use them some but the Safariland Comps are far superior.

Plus I have never had the Safariland Comps accidentally drop rounds because the knob got turned, the Safariland Comps don't work like that, the cylinder is what releases the rounds, so there is no accidentally turning the knob.

Like I said, I much prefer the Safariland Comps to the HKS speedloaders.

Thanks for the write up. My biggest issue with the HKS are the dropping of rounds. That knob gets turned too easily. I have two HKS that I have been using and have two of the Comp 1's coming so I can make the switch.

I have a little more de-horning to do on my pistol on some surfaces that are smooth when the crane is closed but turn razor sharp when open. My unloading procedure has been cutting up my hand pretty good and after yesterdays practice session my left hand is shredded.

I got my loaders today. I sure hope I can get them out of the pouches fast as there is nothing on top to hold on to with these. I should have the pouches next week so I can work on how everything is going to work together. I do like the way they work...just push then in and they eject the rounds...no twisting the knobs.

I have been practicing with the Comp 1's and boy howdy I like them so far. My biggest concern now is how well they will come out of the pouches I ordered. The knob on top is not big enough to grab like the HKS brand. My hope is the front of the pouch is cut low enough to get your fingers under the speed loader to lift it out.

1tNXaGr.jpg

Man, you're harshing my mellow. I just bought a bunch of HKS speedloaders for my new SP101. I was happy enough with a speed strip for my J-frame, decided to move into the speedloader world again. Now this thread, and I need to spend even MORE money for MORE speedloaders. When Mrs. Pepper complains, I'll give her your number and tell her you convinced me I had to do it, for the children and stuff...

• Like 1

http://www.andrewsleather.com/magazine.htm

It's more like this, but I know that it isn't from Andrews Leather.

I like it a lot, I have them for my Ruger SP 101, GP 100 and Smith and Wesson model 10.

Compact, light and simple. You unsnap the snap and the speedloaders is free to come out. Very fast.

I really like the Safariland speedloaders and the "split six" pouches for concealed carry. I have carried two infront of the holster and two behind the holster playing games, and had good amount of ammo "firepower".

I use the 3's matches along with HKS and Dades. I've never had any Comp 1's to carry with as I always just grab the HKS. The Dades are worthless for street carry. I went to the 3's because of being able to slam those rounds in on a dirty chamber in matches. The Dades are fast but they do lack that little feature and if you drop one the rounds are going to leave the building.

When the HKS came out and you carried them in your pocket you looked like a potato smuggler. When I got the 3's I felt like Sargent Schultz going to war... I'd use those 1's in a heart beat if I were in the buying mode. Of course a full moon clip is GTG to and my 586 has been cut for those.

Greg

http://www.andrewsleather.com/magazine.htm

It's more like this, but I know that it isn't from Andrews Leather.

I like it a lot, I have them for my Ruger SP 101, GP 100 and Smith and Wesson model 10.

Compact, light and simple. You unsnap the snap and the speedloaders is free to come out. Very fast.

I really like the Safariland speedloaders and the "split six" pouches for concealed carry. I have carried two infront of the holster and two behind the holster playing games, and had good amount of ammo "firepower".

I figure if the pouches I ordered don't work I will have to get a split six style to make it work......that was my plan. Like gun holsters...you have to try several before you find one you like.

Man, you're harshing my mellow. I just bought a bunch of HKS speedloaders for my new SP101. I was happy enough with a speed strip for my J-frame, decided to move into the speedloader world again. Now this thread, and I need to spend even MORE money for MORE speedloaders. When Mrs. Pepper complains, I'll give her your number and tell her you convinced me I had to do it, for the children and stuff...

I had one HKS that I had played with for years and thought it was time to go big and get another and a pouch......then after I order them I find the Safariland stuff......another order went in. Now I will have two of each. The pouches I ordered will work for the HKS brand and I may have to order a different pouch for the Comp 1's. Who knows I may carry four loaders at once when it's all done :laugh:

You can tell Mrs. Pepper that the HKS are for the range and the Comp 1's are for life and death situations.....that should fix that issue.....it's what I told my wife anyway.

Oh yea....don't go to a web site called Speed Bees either :bellylaf: :bellylaf: the competition stuff there will make you cry.

I sue the 3's matches along with HKS and Dades. I've never had any Comp 1's to carry with as I always just grab the HKS. The Dades are worthless for street carry. I went to the 3's because of being able to slam those rounds in on a dirty chamber in matches. The Dades are fast but they do lack that little feature and if you drop one the rounds are going to leave the building.

When the HKS came out and you carried them in your pocket you looked like a potato smuggler. When I got the 3's I felt like Sargent Schultz going to war... I'd use those 1's in a heart beat if I were in the buying mode. Of course a full moon clip is GTG to and my 586 has been cut for those.

Greg

I have been eyeballing the Speed bees stuff......must resist $30 speed loaders though for everyday carry :laugh:

I have been eyeballing the Speed bees stuff......must resist $30 speed loaders though for everyday carry :laugh:

Go buy a half dozen. It only hurts a little while..I know. I think I have 30 Dades. Enough to load before a PPC match at one time.In USPSA I use thhe spring clips to hold any of the three. I only carry six in a match so it's not bad.

Greg

Go buy a half dozen. It only hurts a little while..I know. I think I have 30 Dades. Enough to load before a PPC match at one time.In USPSA I use thhe spring clips to hold any of the three. I only carry six in a match so it's not bad.

Greg

I want to carry two on my belt at all times. I just want them user friendly and fast. I don't want to fumble around getting them out and they have to stay put when on the belt. If I had Flesh wounds 3d printer I would be making new knobs for the Safarilands so they mimicked the HKS knobs.

I really never had an issue with the HKS. I feel they are pretty secure for any use I was going to need them for when I carried them in the real world. Six loaded and 12 on a belt will USUALLY get it done. I know you can throw them pretty well and not have them fall out. Sure beats trying to throw that old belt slide the USBP made us start with in 1979. They were EVALUATING speed loaders in 1985 BTW. My old BP firearms instructor was tasked with that at FLETC. The BP moved slowly..LOL I'm surprised they weren't still wearing the brown shoes.

Greg

I am going to practice with both but I have twisted that knob when it was not ready and dumped rounds. With the Comp 1's I finally figured out the trick to them as far as the release.... Drop them in, push down and just let go of the thing and close the cylinder. Trying to take the loader away slows things down.....let go as soon as you hear the click and let it do it's thing.

When my pouch gets here I will be able move on from just loading them to doing the full Monty. As I said earlier I expect to have to change pouch type at least once. I did get past dumping rounds out of the HKS too soon by correctly holding them by the loader and not the knob.

I still have some time to dedicate to this before I will be proficient. I only wished I would have started this years ago. Not shooting in any competitions I never really had a need to get fast......I want to be fast now.

I am going to practice with both but I have twisted that knob when it was not ready and dumped rounds. With the Comp 1's I finally figured out the trick to them as far as the release.... Drop them in, push down and just let go of the thing and close the cylinder. Trying to take the loader away slows things down.....let go as soon as you hear the click and let it do it's thing.

When my pouch gets here I will be able move on from just loading them to doing the full Monty. As I said earlier I expect to have to change pouch type at least once. I did get past dumping rounds out of the HKS too soon by correctly holding them by the loader and not the knob.

I still have some time to dedicate to this before I will be proficient. I only wished I would have started this years ago. Not shooting in any competitions I never really had a need to get fast......I want to be fast now.

Fast is not fast. Smooth is fast.

Greg

Fast is not fast. Smooth is fast.

Greg

True.....and right now I'm neither.

At my desk I can dry fire five, eject, load and dry fire five, eject and load and dry fire five......all inside 15 seconds. The first unload is using cases that wont fall out of the cylinder and must be ejected. Once I go to the belt pouch I know that will slow me down.....my goal is the same 15 seconds for 15 rounds from the pouches with live fire.

That's a good goal. The best I've done was a shade under 9 seconds for 18 rounds. I can coast at 12 in 6 and the best I've done is 4.35 for twelve shooting 357 equivalent loads.

Grrg

Back when I worked security, I carried a 686 (in a Nelson break front holster no less) and HKS speedloaders. Come qualification time, the revolver shooters got an extra six seconds over the autoloader guys. The drill was fire two, reload, fire six. Something like 12 seconds for the auto guys, and 18 seconds for the revolver guys. This was done at the 10 yard line IIRC. I almost always beat the auto guys, and none of them were all that slow.

Got to the range today and put a few rounds down the pipe. Used the loaders off the bench and they work pretty darn good. My only issue is the rounds would not drop into the dirty cylinder and needed a push with your fingers. I am going to have to figure out what to do there as there is no speed to speed loaders if you have to help the rounds along.

The SP101 functioned 100% with the 9# hammer spring and the 8# trigger return spring. Double action was smooth as butter. I developed a training scar with this revolver when I first got it years ago and was using full house 158g 357 magnum loads. I can get one hell of a push anticipating recoil. I tried a new two handed grip on the gun that returns the gun to the target after each shot much better than my old grip would. I got brave and shot a bunch of full house 357's and was amazed at how well this new grip hold works for me. I was shooting my 6" bouncy ball at 50 feet and doing pretty good on it and had it back to 60 feet by the end of the shooting the mud kept it from rolling too far.

My new Safariland speed loader belt clips arrived and like the reviews said the little rubber pads were all missing except for one. They won't hold for squat without those little rubber pads. I reached out into my shop and found some older red pink inner tube repair material and a little blue RTV (because I could not find my black RTV) silicone and made four new pads to grip the speed loaders. The blue RTV made a mess but I don't care right now. Once these things prove themselves I will clean off the excess blue and make them look better. No sense wasting time now if they don't work out. They now hold the 38's and 357's very well and I will be putting them on my belt today to give them a test run. I do like the way when you pull the loader out you are holding the loader the way you need to in order to load the gun. I am hoping the slimmer profile makes them better for ccw....here are the pics and I will update with how they do later...

ybCJPoH.jpg5xrjOcx.jpg

That sounds like a really ingenious solution, the rubber pats with RTV. Looks like something I would do. But just one question, and maybe it's me, or maybe it's your lighting, or your camera, but is that "red" a little closer to "pink"? :tongue:

I hope they work out for you. I've used mine a tad in athletic movement stuff in my matches and don't recall dropping any loaders. That spring steel is pretty strong across the surfaces of the loader body. This is part of what I use in matches. The top ones are used on my 29 Smith and some of my K frame guns that I use to shoot in the Laramie Shoot For Lot when I first started movement style pistol matches. The bottom batch is my L-Frame stuff for USPSA a hodgepodge of holders and loaders. I have one L-Frame cut for full moon clips that's kind of cool. The holders are over-engineered for them. My bucket full of K-Frame goodies I use for PPC is tucked away right now. It too is a mix of Dades, Comp 3's and the HKS's. I use the Comp 3's on the seven and fifteen yard line when time is of essence.

One thing I will recommend is that should you start getting loaders for various revolvers that you paint the tops and color code them. It is embarrassing to try to stick a K-Frame loader in an L-frame. No biggy playing games on Sunday but when it comes to a two way range it could be more than just an inconvenience.

5jJDjoc.jpg

Keep us posted ad I think the rubber will be fine. I have about two dozen of them and the never failed to have them on delivery.

Greg

• Like 1

That sounds like a really ingenious solution, the rubber pats with RTV. Looks like something I would do. But just one question, and maybe it's me, or maybe it's your lighting, or your camera, but is that "red" a little closer to "pink"? :tongue:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that :laugh:

I put them on and went four wheeling in the Jeep and moved some firewood then pulled the spark plugs out of the Jeep and these loaders stayed put and you forget they are there. These are going to work perfectly. When you reach to pull them out of the clip you naturally grab them right where you need to to drop them in the gun.

I clip them on ahead of the last belt loop and they leave room for me to get my hand in the front pocket and when you undo the belt to use the rest room the clips hold the belt right there so nothing moves. They hold on to the belt tight but are easy to remove. Here is the layout on my belt......

FZXXa4V.jpg?1