Sign in to follow this  
scotto

Upgrades to the old scooter

Last fall, after getting back from Sturgis, I decided to treat my bike to a few upgrades. Got a new set of tires, replaced the motor mount and engine alinement turn buckle, installed a new Pingel fuel value, NOS lighted fender tips, NOS turn down mufflers and a tinted 10” windshield.

515A7CE6-A273-49C0-AD39-9C63A859C8C6.thu

Right after deer season I brought it to a guy I know that’s set up for engine rebuilding and had the top-end rebuilt, pistons, valves, guides, lifters, the works.

B602917C-318E-4ABA-B7D4-77FBA3B6C624.thu

82BC757B-BC00-4D99-92F4-A36140AA8296.thu

Got a call last week that it was ready and since we were between cold snaps I figured I better get it home. It was a snowy 27 above when I drove her home and was a good thing I did as the next day the temp dropped to -27 below..

1ABEB187-192A-4B7A-AA38-434F0580E83D.thu

02673731-6BF4-466F-A54F-93834B77699F.thu

Come Spring I plan on adding a lower Mustang seat and a lowering kit that will drop the back about 3” and the front about 2”.

I tell ya, Spring can’t get here soon enough!!

• Like 3

She looks sweet!

I'm really liking those turn downs on that style with bags. Have you been able to tell if the top end work breathed new life into her?

O, that windshield looks very cool also. I'm a fan of Mustang seats, I replaced my Springer seat with one, night and day difference.

Edited by devil duck

She looks sweet!

I'm really liking those turn downs on that style with bags. Have you been able to tell if the top end work breathed new life into her?

Oh yeah, only drove it about a mile or so through town but could really tell the difference. I shut it off and started it a few time and all I had to do is just tap the starter and she fired right up.. I'm liking the turndowns too I was a bit hesitant because I was going to get fish tails but found these NOS turndowns and got a great deal on them. The only downside to them, well for me anyway, they are quieter then I would like, quieter then the stock ones I took off.

• Like 1

Looking good..I'm not man enough for 27 degrees anymore..if you have any trouble with your tailbone I highly recommend a Saddlemen seat..it has made a more than significant difference in the duration I can keep riding..

Looking good..I'm not man enough for 27 degrees anymore..if you have any trouble with your tailbone I highly recommend a Saddlemen seat..it has made a more than significant difference in the duration I can keep riding..

The bike is 37 years old so I'm kind of limited in what's available for this year and model. The only aftermarket seat I can find is the Mustang seat unless I had one custom made.

The seat that's on there now is a Harley stock "comfort flex" seat The kind with a scissors suspension.. Just sits to high even in the down position. I need a lower frame mounted seat..

I like the looks of that exhaust. I think it fits the bike.

• Like 1

The bike is 37 years old so I'm kind of limited in what's available for this year and model. The only aftermarket seat I can find is the Mustang seat unless I had one custom made.

The seat that's on there now is a Harley stock "comfort flex" seat The kind with a scissors suspension.. Just sits to high even in the down position. I need a lower frame mounted seat..

The ONLY issue I had with the seat I got was it being much thicker. The thickness (primary for the wife) made a huge difference in comfort but at a stop I was on my toes.

Can you remove the baffles from the mufflers?

No but they do have a nice sound to them. I think they don’t sound as loud to me because of the turn downs and most of the sound is directed downward .

I like the looks of that exhaust. I think it fits the bike.

Thanks I like them too, not what I was originally looking for but your right they fit the bike.

The ONLY issue I had with the seat I got was it being much thicker. The thickness (primary for the wife) made a huge difference in comfort but at a stop I was on my toes.

What type of seat are you using?

What type of seat are you using?

I do not see the exact model but this one is extremely close. The only real difference is mine dosen't have that increase in height where the rear and front connect. The transition is much smoother.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/800-301/mustang-one-piece-wide-regal-touring-seat

See the other post, almost identical.

Edited by devil duck

The main reason for the upgrade was the wife. The first time we rode to mom's (150 miles) she was almost in tears from the pain using the stock seat. The Mustang is wider and much more supportive for the passenger.

I also add a better set of foot boards and a short sissy bar/pad.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/passenger-footboard-brackets?source_cd=SEM_Shop_PLA&_cr=pla%7cGoogle%7c53070-00A_10698&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIHTBRAVEiwA6TgJw58qRipIhXGrZYzlzjbq4w0wju2AgUpDcUWHKw9OlAk6sAPrY5UIRRoCVkYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by devil duck
  • Like 1