AR15Armory.com

New 18" American 30 Barrel

bj139

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because if you tried to seat heavy bullets in the cases the ogive will be back in the case neck. Also based on where the bullets ride in the magazine this is the longest that can be used and still allow reliable feeding from a magazine due to the location of the ribs.

Greg

I did see that the case just misses the front rib in the magazine. Otherwise it would be a tighter fit.

I meaured 10 of them with a new 357 mag case which measured 1.285".

They were either 2.635"(2), 2.636"(4) or 2.637"(4).

I loaded them backwards in the magazine so I could keep them in order if I remember to remove them one by one from the brass catcher.

They should probably blow forward by more than .002", don't you think?

I will try to shoot them tomorrow and post some results. The weather forecast says snow and rain so I may delay till Thursday.

I have decided to concentrate on the American 30 for now and will get to the 6x6.8 after.

I was getting confused trying to keep all the different dies and sizing procedures straight in my head.

American 30 = 30 Herrett dies, expand neck, don't touch shoulder, check chambering and extraction, prime, charge, seat bullet with 30 Herrett seating die.

6x6.8 = Wilson 6.8 spc bushing size die, .285 bushing, .267 bushing, check chambering and extraction, prime, charge, seat bullet with 6.5 Grendel seating die.

6.5 Grendel seater is the closest diameter, shortest die I have so I will use it for now. Maybe buy a 6PPC die later.

Edited by bj139

Please zero your calipers with the 38 case. Those lengths do not equate to anything repeatable on my end.My 38 case on a fired A-30 is 2.508. Subtracting the case my number is 1.359. Now we could compare. Your case could be long or short compared to mine.

Greg

I am using a manual dial caliper so subtraction will be necessary.

2.636 - 1.285 = 1.351"

I provided both numbers in my last post.

So you are saying my case may blow forward to 1.359"?

Maybe this would be expected with new brass.

Edited by bj139

I am using a manual dial caliper so subtraction will be necessary.

2.636 - 1.285 = 1.351"

I provided both numbers in my last post.

So you are saying my case may blow forward to 1.359"?

Maybe this would be expected with new brass.

It's hard to tell what your number will be. New brass given different chambers might move 0.002 to as much as 0.012.

Once you shoot it we'll see.

Greg

Today snow and rain. One of the main highways here is closed due to an accident.

Will try to get to the range tomorrow.

The headspace gauge idea is a dandy. The 357 mag case was even long enough to clear the bullet.

"Use what you got".

Edited by bj139

Today snow and rain. One of the main highways here is closed due to an accident.

Will try to get to the range tomorrow.

The headspace gauge idea is a dandy. The 357 mag case was even long enough to clear the bullet.

"Use what you got".

I use a 9 MM most of the time but I've been known to use a 358 Norma Mag as it was at hand one time. ..lol

Yeah, crappy weather, I hear ya'. I was going to shoot today but the wind is up. I may well defer until next week as I ned to get my BE pistol up to speed and two days should get me peaked for the match.At least it's cooling off down to 78 or so.

Greg

Greg,

Whatever happened to the American 35? I know about the 358 MGP.

I was searching around about Herrett dies and was wondering about it.

I guess an AR could be chambered in 357 Herret rimless.

There are several 35's out and about but the demand is pretty low. The states are starting to be more liberal in cartridge choices now and the 358 MGP will lose it's interest in some of those.

You could do a 357 Herrett but the reamer throat will have to be completely redesigned as it was on the 30 HRT and the American 30. The throat is designed for long single loaded bullets and it will never work in a rifle for accuracy unless this area is addressed.

Remember that doing onesey twosey is cool but commercial sales at an affordable level dictate choices to some extent. The one we are working on will be unreal but it will be a low sales item with only guys that understand the full ramifications of cartridge massage and require custom ordered parts that will never be common. This will cost Ritch and me around $1500.00 to get going figuring reamers; HS gauges; probably four barrels, two bolt and two AR's, two complete uppers; a set of custom forming tools for me, an additional $250 as he has his, along with some custom loading dies and last but maybe most important about two months of load development and running genuine pressure testing. . We already have the top reamer manufacturer in the US on board and a barrel maker with a lathe ready to turn them for us along with the reamer design so it's merely a matter of $$'s before it's done. If we started the ball in play it would be finished right before deer season this year. Time will tel.

A 357 Herrett could be brought to market for under $500.00 and it would be an easy one to do but with the existence of the MGP and others it just isn't worth the bucks to do it. There is a 223 based case out there that would be merely a matter of ordering up a reamer that has OTC dies available right now that has been ignored by the shooting public for decades. I predict we will put a couple together as a side project this year. We know that commercially it would be a success for the barrel guys.

Greg