AR15Armory.com

New 18" American 30 Barrel

bj139

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with greg, shouldn't really be needed. all i've ever done with my designated am30 cases was to neck up, check length, load and go shoot( kill deer)

next time bump the shoulder and go

I didn't even touch the shoulder with the die. My chamber was obviously cut deeper than yours.

I am using new Starline brass if that makes a difference. I don't mind as long as I can get a procedure to produce brass.

I didn't even touch the shoulder with the die. My chamber was obviously cut deeper than yours.

I am using new Starline brass if that makes a difference. I don't mind as long as I can get a procedure to produce brass.

I have some nosler/ssa brass that is 10 to 11 thou short at the shoulder compared to my 6x6.8 fired brass. This is a none issue because I size the neck down and with the die set. It automatically gives me a false shoulder. IMO, if that's what it takes for you to get the right headspace then that's what you should do. After all you will only need to do it on virgin brass. Edited by midwestpredator

I have some nosler/ssa brass that is 10 to 11 thou short at the shoulder compared to my 6x6.8 fired brass. This is a none issue because I size the neck down and with the die set. It automatically gives me a false shoulder. IMO, if that's what it takes for you to get the right headspace then that's what you should do. After all you will only need to do it on virgin brass.

Yes. I can't wait to try it on Monday. I guess this is part of the fun of wildcatting.

I have a 6x6.8 that I want to start loading for next. How is the 6x6.8 custom die buy going?

I bought a Wilson bushing die and two bushings or I would definitely be in for this buy. Maybe once I get going I will get interested.

Edited by bj139

Yes. I can't wait to try it on Monday. I guess this is part of the fun of wildcatting.

I have a 6x6.8 that I want to start loading for next. How is the 6x6.8 custom die buy going?

I bought a Wilson bushing die and two bushings or I would definitely be in for this buy. Maybe once I get going I will get interested.

Getting real close and Greg is correct, there probably won't be enough interest for another run in a good long while so if you think you might want a set you could be kicking yourself later if you wait.

Greg, I'm closer to 7 now. I need 10 but can go more. That said due to several folks who have been waiting on my list for a minute already I won't be waiting long after I hit 10 to place the order.

Edited by midwestpredator

I loaded some last night.

I included all my mistakes so someone reading this would know it's not always smooth sailing.

American 30, expand with 357 Herrett die and form shoulder with 30 Herrett die adjusted to just chamber round.

6x6.8, form with .285 and then .267 bushings. On the setback shoulder round, I expanded with 6.5mm expander and then formed with the bushings.

I don't know why there are 2 steps in some of the American 30 brass since I did not touch the shoulder with the die for my first loading.

On the deformed 6x6.8, the mistake was I seated a bullet with a 6.5 Grendel die and didn't realize it would push the shoulder back.

They all chamber and they all extract so I think headspace is OK with some of the headspacing off the false shoulder..

I loaded American 30, some at 1.8cc(27.4gr) and 1.9cc(29.0gr) of AA1680 with the Lee dippers.

In the 6x6.8, I loaded 1.9cc(29.4gr) of H335.

They all fit in the extended width metal magazine(Ar-Stoner 6.8 SPC).

26350953398_1db9c51c58_c.jpg

40190569362_9807179fe2_c.jpg

Edited by bj139

Does the custom order 6x6.8 Hornady dies have a 6mm seater?

I am about to go to the range to shoot the AM30 and 6x6.8. I will post some photos later.

Yep it comes with all the goodies just like a standard Hornady New Dimension line. You can even add a micrometer top to it. 95% of all my ammunition is loaded with them I have one each and I just spin 'em in on a cse, back them off the crimp and adjust with the top to set my depth. Fast, accurate and cheap.

Greg

American 30 necks after firing, left three 27.4 gr, right three 29.0gr AA1680.

40195882192_1901e349d7_c.jpg

American 30 primers. 29.0gr shows a bit of cratering. Is this too high?

28449764419_47c879d3c3_c.jpg

6x6.8 , 29.4gr H335. The second round clicked two times. I inserted it and extracted it and reseated gently and it went boom. I single loaded the next 4 this way.

Last 5 rounds fed from a mag manually (no gas block) and all fired. I should resize a bit less.

40195882342_3da8ff4b16_c.jpg

6x6.8 is going to be boring with bullets going exactly where intended.segrin.gif

First round was way high and left and I adjusted the scope 4 MRAD down and 3 MRAD right resulting in these groups.

The last .75MOA group I adjusted 1 MRAD left from the 4 holer and shot the last 5 rounds.

6x6.8 necks after firing.

40195882492_f787d08415_c.jpg

I guess the false shoulder was the trick for getting these headspaced correctly.

Edited by bj139

The primers cannot be read well when you are doing the false shoulder activity. Too much case movement creating potentially false pressure signs. You will have to evaluate on the real deal though you are seeing some changes on the load level. My FF load would be 28.5 based on what I'm seeing here. 27.5 is not making them sharp enough. Make sure you use a 450 or 7 1/2 primer.

The 6X6.8 will do those wonderful groups all day long with the right load and the right shooter. Congratulations.

Greg