wmn2

Suppressor help

Thinking about getting a suppressor and have some questions. Probably going to pick up a 30 cal to use with my 300blk and 6.5 creedmoor. What do you guys recommend? Would like to keep the price at around $850.

Also, with the form 4. If I get one suppressor, can I continue to buy more on the same form or do I have to have a new form for every suppressor. I won't be going the trust route either. Also, with the tax stamp, is that a yearly fee or one time only?

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, each suppressor will be on a separate Form 4. I strongly advise you to make a copy of the approved form to carry with you and keep the original in a safe place. The tax, $200 is one time only. As for the device itself, opinions will vary. I have a Silencerco Saker 7.62 that I use with my .308 rifle and the .300BO. With the Saker mounted on a Sig MCX, the noise you will hear will be mostly from the rifles action. Also be advised, it is another sickness, I'm up to three cans to cover .30cal, 5.56 and 9mm. Nothing like firing a subsonic round from a weapon and not even waking the dogs.

I forgot to mention that SIlencerco has a spec program for persons that meet the requirements, that will save you some bucks.

Edited by andy2205

First, each suppressor will be on a separate Form 4. I strongly advise you to make a copy of the approved form to carry with you and keep the original in a safe place. The tax, $200 is one time only. As for the device itself, opinions will vary. I have a Silencerco Saker 7.62 that I use with my .308 rifle and the .300BO. With the Saker mounted on a Sig MCX, the noise you will hear will be mostly from the rifles action. Also be advised, it is another sickness, I'm up to three cans to cover .30cal, 5.56 and 9mm. Nothing like firing a subsonic round from a weapon and not even waking the dogs.

I forgot to mention that SIlencerco has a spec program for persons that meet the requirements, that will save you some bucks.

Thank you. Silencerco is who I was looking at going through. I'm really looking at a few specific ones so I can continue to use my hellfire adapter if I'm not using a suppressor and just mount my brake. Thanks for the info

Firing my suppressor sounds like wearing ear plugs except when shooting subsonic 300 blk out. From Silencer Co.'s website the 308 at muzzle is 133.9 db. Hollywood would have you think you wouldn't wake the dogs. My experience differs.

I have a 30 cal YHM Titanium that I shoot on 5.56, 300 blk out, 6.8 SPC and 308 Win.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/omega/

OMEGA 300

5.7 MM TO .300 WM

CALIBER

SKU

SU1286

MUZZLE AVERAGE

.300 BLK: 119.5 DB

5.56 MM: 130.1 DB

.308 WIN: 133.9 DB

The downrange impact of the .300BO passing through a wooden pallet is a lot louder than any noise the MCX makes going off. As of the other .308 stuff, you won't need plugs, but it's not silent. With subsonic .308, you still don't hear much. Only thing is, subsonic .308 rounds aren't cheap.

Edited by andy2205

Just know others read these posts. Fighting the misconceptions of what a suppressor actually does, versus Hollywood's portrayal, is one of my pet peeves.

I never said they were silent. With the right subsonic ammo, they are very, very quiet. The 220grn .300 BO makes barely any sound other than the action. The .308 from Beck ammo or Detroit ammo are very quiet. Any super sonic round leaving the tube is going to make a report. Forget about making a 5.56 quiet.

• Like 2

If you aren't doing at on of mag dumps, the Silencerco Omega is a great can.

If you have not shot silenced firearms before, you will be amazed at the difference the weight of the suppressor makes to your shooting enjoyment. Lighter cans are much nicer to handle on a gun, particularly a gun with a longer barrel.

Purchasing a suppressor (or other NFA controlled item)

There are several ways to purchase one of these. The most common are: as an individual, or with an NFA Trust.

Each of these methods have benefits and drawbacks. The short version of these are:

Trust: longer transfer time on the form 4, transfer can be more of a pain in the butt, more flexibility if you are married or have kids

Individual: quicker transfer, nobody else can access this without you present. No letting the wife or kids take it to the range or shooting it on the back 40 without you there.

You can have multiple items on one trust, or multiple items as an individual. Trust or individual both require photos and fingerprints to be submitted with the Form 4.

There are 4 common ATF forms that people use in regards to transferring these items.

Form 1: if you want to make your own thing. You file this form and pay the tax, when you get the stamp back you can then build your item. This is very common for making a short barreled rifle (SBR)

Form 3: this is to transfer from a dealer to another dealer, or wholesaler to dealer. This is used if you were to buy a suppressor from a dealer in another state to transfer it to your local dealer who then does the Form 4. There is no tax paid for the form 3, but dealers charge a bit of a fee to transfer for you, similar to buying firearms from out of state.

Form 4: this is what is used to transfer your item from your in-state dealer to you, or if you sell your item to another individual. You send in the form and fee, wait for 6-12 months, then get the stamp back and can take possession of you item.

From 5: is used to transfer an item to your beneficiary on your death. There is no fee for this form.

Each single item you acquire requires one of these forms. A form 1 or form 4 is once per item, unless you sell it in the future. You don't have to renew every year, you don't have to renew if you move (though if you move from state to state some items, not suppressors, require a different form to the ATF to update their records, no fee though), and the BS about the ATF coming to your door to inspect your stamps is BS and does not happen.

You should keep a copy of your form with your item if you can. You have no legal requirement to do so, but it can save you headaches from idiots that don't know the rules. Especially local yokel anti-gun cop idiots on a power trip. A shrunk and laminated copy is a good way to do this. DO NOT bring your originals around with you, keep them safe from things like coffee spills and rain damage!

Thanks for the help. I think I’m probably going to go with the SilencerCo harvester or saker. Anyone have any firsthand experience with either of these?

I ended up going with the omega. It was showing backorder on the silencer shop website so I called and they said they should have their shipment in the next week or so. I went ahead and ordered and stopped at the ffl to use their kiosk to do my fingerprints and all the other info for the form 4. Now the waiting begins.

Edited by wmn2

I know its too early to ask but i'm curious to see how long this takes.

I know its too early to ask but i'm curious to see how long this takes.

Been a while since I bought mine. Looks like you in for a wait.

http://www.nfatracker.com/

My check was cashed March 12 and form 3 approved March 15. I’m hoping around August/September, but in reality I’m thinking December.

• Like 1

Got it in. September 17th my tax stamp was at the dealer. I have it picked up, but have yet to fire it. Been working a lot and it’s been very cold. I’m hoping to get out around Christmas to test it out.