Sign in to follow this  
Jaeger48

Cabelas Rain Shell

So, I got some more recognition points at work and picked up a http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Space-Rain-Full-Zip-Jacket-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS/1618370.uts?slotId=0rain jacket since I need one and a box of Barnes TX for the blackout. I have a pet load for these already that works great in my BO but wanted some factory stuff just to be sure.

Should be nice I've had a lot of great experiences with Cabella stuff. Dry Lok is their version of Gortex. I haven't used that myself. I do have a Cabellas Gortex shell that I've used for years and it is my go to rain shell. MInes a little more than a shell though, its probably the equivalent of the current "Rainy River". I used it like shell though, micro fleece under layer etc. Even did a winter camp with it, rain as a front came through and temps slightly below freezing, and stayed quite comfortable. Mostly, I just use it as a rain shell.

Now you want to talk down Parka's. My Cabellas is the cats meow. If you can find the equivalent, they're like $400 now. Can't believe how expensive those things are. Hell I thought I was paying too much ten years ago. Anyway, they make good stuff.

Tj

I plan on hunting more on the west side of the state next year. I got soaked several times and that gets cold quick. A better she'll should help.

I plan on hunting more on the west side of the state next year. I got soaked several times and that gets cold quick. A better she'll should help.

Well that I can assure you, there's no comparison between a cheap shell and a better one especially if you are active. I bought a German surplus Gortex to hunt and camp in many years ago and went "Holy Hell no more nylon for me." It doesn't do you a bit of good to keep the rain off and still be soaking wet from perspiration. Cabellas Dry-Plus which use to be Dry Lok sp? is just their version of Gortex except a lot less expensive They do it with three bonded layers instead of five of Gortex in which the Gortex inner layer isn't bonded at all. It's a comfort liner.

Another take off of Gortex is Frogg Togg. They use a three layer approach. On a shell, they are quite noticeably thinner but its the same thing, breathable rain gear. A Frogg Toog shell feels strange its so light and stiff but it works fairly well, not as well as Dry Plus or Gortex but a lot better than a thin Nylon single or double layer Nylone Polyester. I have a set of Frogg Toggs shell tops and bottoms (they call their Ultra LIghts) I keep in my motorcycles saddlebag for my wife because they fold down so small into a tote bag. She's behind me so not so much in the wind. I use a full set of double ply thick Nylon/Polyester, don't really know who's. You don't sweat much in a rain not moving about at 60 mph and what I want there is dry and not feeling like I'm being hit by a million BBs. The passenger in summer on the other hand needs something that breathes.

Tj