Sign in to follow this  
towtruck

The carnage has begun early this year.....**gratuitous pot gut photos**

...sage rat season is early this year with the milder weather. I went up today on word they were out already and yes, indeed they are out. Not full force by any means but the start of the games have begun. It was a tad foggy in the morning but it cleared off by 9 am and the squeaks came out. I started at my old ranch and shot a few there before heading over to a better ranch. I hit the first field and stopped, set up, and stayed for four hours. It was not real busy but enough for one shooter. My shots ranged from a few at 75-100 yards to a bunch at 200-300+ yards. I did most of my work in the 200-230 range.

I shot all three 20 practical barrels with two different bullets, the 40g v-max and the 39g Speer TNT. The 40g v-max are the bomb. They are laser beams out to 300 yards and make the critters fly. The TNT's are good to about 200 yards before they start to open up. They are not explosive either. You have to wait for a second after the shot before the critter realizes 39g of smoking lead and copper just went through him before he dies.

I started off with 17 for 17 kills before I missed with the first barrel, 10 for 10 with the second barrel before I missed, and the new barrel made a clean kill it's first shot and the next 12 or 13. It also smoked many at 200 yards with it. I killed about 75% today at the distances I was shooting.

And now for the carnage...........There is nothing better to see than a sage rat taking flight at 250 yards...it just warms the soul.

ed4o2wj.jpgz48PR47.jpg3RErpN6.jpgxXkR1nb.jpgCBssuSH.jpgVltZqQi.jpgPf8NoFn.jpgXgYTnFJ.jpgAfsLFUT.jpg704WXMy.jpgPosJ2ni.jpgNhqewoY.jpgDwf8MKa.jpg

• Like 1

You need a scope camera set-up for video of this action.

You need a scope camera set-up for video of this action.

It would be pretty cool to have that set up.......wanna sponsor me one? :yukyuk: I'll put your company name on my trailer :laugh:

If I could sponser you one, I would. However it would be me, not my company name you'd be putting on the trailer. That is a bucket list type shooting trip for me.

It would be pretty cool to have that set up.......wanna sponsor me one? :yukyuk: I'll put your company name on my trailer :laugh:

He would also want it on the doors of your Blazer in big letters. :laugh:

He would also want it on the doors of your Blazer in big letters. :laugh:

Magnetic only :laugh:

That 20 practical splits them in half, pretty impressive at that distance.

Nice job TT, man I would love to spend the day spraying some varmint blood.

Looks like a great start to the season.

Nice that the new barrel got its first victim on the first try.

Need to load more of those 40 gr. V-MAX... We want them critters to blowed up real good!

Thanks,

Glenn

Looks like a great start to the season.

Nice that the new barrel got its first victim on the first try.

Need to load more of those 40 gr. V-MAX... We want them critters to blowed up real good!

Thanks,

Glenn

I would do 100% 40g v-max if I could.....but this will be the last year for leaded rounds while hunting. By far it is the best all around pill for sage rats. Blows them up real good and is a laser beam out to 300 yards. With the sight in I have imagine a soda can at 100-200-and 300 yards......at 100 you aim at the bottom 1/4 of the can.....at 200 you aim dead center can and at 300 you hold centered on the top half of the can......nothing escapes that bullet. The critters get split, gutted, and take flight.

The little 24g NTX lead free from Hornady is the funnest to shoot out to 150 yards.It's moving at 4100 fps and the critters take flight in two halves every time. The spread can be 40 feet or more.

The 26g BVG's and the 39g Speer TNT are accurate but not spectacular at all. The 39's knife right through and there is a delay in the critter even knowing it's hit sometimes. You get a lot of zombies with the 26 and 39's......the 40's and 24's are dead right there, and over there, and a piece over there too :hysterical3:

• Like 1

That 20 practical splits them in half, pretty impressive at that distance.

Nice job TT, man I would love to spend the day spraying some varmint blood.

There is nothing better than seeing a critter take flight and get gutted at 300 plus yards.....it's unbelievable to look out into the field and see nothing with your naked eye and be able to hit that little, smaller than a soda canned size, critter and make them blow up. The one picture above of the head shot was at 200 yards. All he gave me was his head and I took it...pulled him right out of the hole.

I did get a sex shot double today as well..Two of them were rolling around getting it on and I took them out at 230 yards.....at least they died happy.

TT,

It is obvious these animals are suffering terribly

with your underpowered and ineffective caliber.

Please remedy the situation.

I can still recognize them as mammals ! ! :segrin:

• Like 1

TT,

It is obvious these animals are suffering terribly

with your underpowered and ineffective caliber.

Please remedy the situation.

I can still recognize them as mammals ! ! :segrin:

Yesterday I had a hawk that landed on one kill....he picked it up, dropped it, and flew to a better kill before eating it. It's bad when you don't leave enough for the birds to eat :bellylaf:

The birds had 150 to pick from and found enough to eat. When things pick up as the weather gets better there will be 5-600 to choose from.

Yesterday I had a hawk that landed on one kill....he picked it up, dropped it, and flew to a better kill before eating it. It's bad when you don't leave enough for the birds to eat :bellylaf:

The birds had 150 to pick from and found enough to eat. When things pick up as the weather gets better there will be 5-600 to choose from.

That is a battlefield I am really having trouble imagining...

I can't believe there are so many per square foot.

You would think there would be a high predator population to go along with them,

fox, coyote, bobcat, birds of prey, feral cats, and I would think that these Pdog towns would also be thick with snakes.

That's good eating for all those guys.

I take it there's not much chance of lead staying in the Pdog's body for when they are being scavenged.

That's cool..

Happy hunting !