Joel74

SR-71 Blackbird Pilot Trolls Arrogant Fighter Pilot with Ground Speed Check.

Too damned funny. It's worth reading the whole story, but here's the punch line.

http://tribunist.com/technology/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-trolls-arrogant-fighter-pilot-with-ground-speed-check/

Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

Image-168.jpg

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: “Ah, Center, much thanks, we’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.”

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with, “Roger that Aspen, Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

Edited by Joel74
  • Like 1

Always loved the Blackbird..cool story..

This has been around for years, have listened to it dozens of times and I still listen to it everytime it gets posted.

Love it.

Sexiest plane ever created.

Darrell

I was in aerial photography in the Air Force. Flightline troop........didn't get to fly. I was fortunate enough to get to download the film from the SR-71 one dark, ominous night in Austin, TX. Also had the opportunity to download the film in the U-2 toward the end of it's career. Never made it into the cockpits of either, but my typical day was spent in the cockpits of the RF-101 Voodo and the RF-4C Phantom or the RB-66. I still think the SR-71 was the sexiest bird ever built and it's a shame it's not still in the air doing the fantastic job it was designed to do. Incredible aircraft.

• Like 1

Hearing Major Shul tell the story is great.

• Like 1