Zephyr One/Zero

New tool added to the stable

I pretty much have everything, that I needed in a 1/4" ratchet-set. I found a nice mid-length set of sockets by S&K. I try to buy 'contractor-grade' tools when I can afford them. Many years ago, I learned that buying cheap tools may work, but they can also fail at the most inopportune moments, as they say. At the quarter-inch drive level, 6-pt sockets are really the only way to go. You can see the difference between a regular short-socket, and a mid-socket. Especially, when a deepwell is too long.

8i59hfOl.jpg?1

S&K is a mid-level grade tool, not as expensive as Mac, MATCO, or Snap-On. They're pricey, but not Visa Gold Card insane like the wagon vendors sell.

pyV1Eswl.jpg?1

Yp4dYn4l.jpg?1

dyfbqAKl.jpg?1

You get ten metric, and equal number of SAE increments.

a95NHjUl.jpg

I've been using this brand since the early-70's, when they were featured at most Auto Parts stores. I bought a bag of combo wrenches in SAE to work on my brother-in-law's Chevy Nova back then, and they still look new. I'm currently looking at their set of 1/4" deep impact sockets, which I don't have. :laugh: Then a set of metric 'saltus wrenches'. For those not familiar with the term they are this pattern:

41R336PHNEL.jpg

Craftsman used to make a nice raised-panel set in this pattern USA-made, but discontinued them. So anyways: that's my tool of the week!

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero
  • Like 2

Nice!

I have pulled a many of S&k tool, never had a problem.

• Like 1

I like S&K, never had an issue with them. I enjoy working with good tools, but I don't enjoy the prices of the truck tools. S&K fills the niche pretty well.

• Like 1

S&K do make some good tools.

• Like 1

I grew up with S&K Tools in the truck shop. My dad loved them. I still have many SK ratchets, sockets and screw drivers. I also pick up any loose SK Tools I see in the bins at pawn shops.

• Like 1

I grew up with S&K Tools in the truck shop. My dad loved them. I still have many SK ratchets, sockets and screw drivers. I also pick up any loose SK Tools I see in the bins at pawn shops.

When young, I hated forking-over the few extra bucks I had for S&K's. But they have stood the test-of-time, and hard usage. They have changed hands over the years, but never lowered the quality factor. Currently, they are a subsidiary of electrical giant Ideal.

S&K is great quality!

• Like 1

Sears Craftsman...and now they are gone.......

I've had S&K, never knew anything about them......I'm a dork, those are nice....

• Like 1

Only thng that i would buy from snapon is their digital torque wrenches, they are the cats meow in my opinion. Other than that i have usually only bought craftsman.

• Like 1

Sweet ! S & K's have a very good reputation.

Most of mine are older Craftsman.

Some of my most prized possessions are hand tools from my father and grandfather,

so I can appreciate the attraction to quality hand tools.

I could tell you the story of some roof repairs my aged and ill father needed done to his house in Ohio

that I was unaware of, a young crooked "handyman" who had "befriended" my father,

and a large rolling tool chest jammed full of Craftsman hand tools, but it would make me cry.

I tried the entire time after my Mom died to get him to move here either with me or near me.

Especially after I found my sister and her husband, who lived close to him,

pretty much left him to to his own devices.

• Like 1

Only thng that i would buy from snapon is their digital torque wrenches, they are the cats meow in my opinion. Other than that i have usually only bought craftsman.

Hardy, you are right about Snap-On torque wrenches. Most accurate in the industry.

Proto is another brand, that's very comparable to S&K. I believe Stanley owns them. Used alot in the aerospace industry from what I understand.

Most of mine are older Craftsman.

Some of my most prized possessions are hand tools from my father and grandfather,

so I can appreciate the attraction to quality hand tools.

I could tell you the story of some roof repairs my aged and ill father needed done to his house in Ohio

that I was unaware of, a young crooked "handyman" who had "befriended" my father,

and a large rolling tool chest jammed full of Craftsman hand tools, but it would make me cry.

I tried the entire time after my Mom died to get him to move here either with me or near me.

Especially after I found my sister and her husband, who lived close to him,

pretty much left him to to his own devices.

Git a rope.

I'm glad some things stay the same. I remember, when you could buy a genuine 'hard-rubber' ACE comb made-in-America. Now they're just cheap plastic made-in-China, that bust in two when you drop them. I inherited most of my Dad's Craftsman tool's when he passed-away. Back in the sixties, Sears had tools made by Stanley, and Western Forge who made screwdrivers for just about everybody (100 million alone for Sears). I was surprised to learn that Ideal now owns Western Forge also. So I may pick-up a few S&K screwdrivers for kicks. :laugh:

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Git a rope.

It is too long ago.

To be frank, I was probably more upset with my sister and brother-in law

than I was with the con artist at the time. After all, it was his job to be a scumbag,

and he did it weel

it was their job since the lived 30 minutes away to help

All three family members have since assumed room temperature.

Probably time to let it go; eh ?

Edited by Retcop

Most of my tools are Craftsman circa 1979-1985.