Zephyr One/Zero

Sheriff 'devastated' after student finds his forgotten gun in middle school locker room

Wow. A police administrator that accepts responsibility for his own mistakes. Watch that guy, he's a rare one.

What Pepper said.

This is a serious mistake, and I am relieved no one was injured, and that the gun was not stolen, with the potential to end up in some very wrong hands.

I am not about to offer any excuses, but I can offer a possible explanation.

For me, and for the cops I knew, everyone had a ritual of their own when suiting up.

Everything is done the same way in the same order every time, and checked and rechecked.

I believe it is possible that the Sheriff, being out of his normal routine, made the potentially deadly mistake.

The failure came in not recognizing he was out of his normal routine and environment, and in a school locker room, and thus did not double or triple

check the status of his 2 weapons. As I said, not an excuse, but I can understand the process that potentially

got him to the point of making such an error.

When I visit my grandkids in TN, my kids do not want my sidearm storedored away without a round

in the chamber. Since I never do this at home, I am willing to admit this new process took some getting used to,'and

A mistake that should never had happen. Before leaving any bathroom other than my own, I always do a "pat down" so I know that all my "arms" are where they are supposed to be. In decades of carrying I have never left a "stall" without knowing just where my arms are. You must train yourself to be vigilant.

We're all human.

Terry

Certainly debatable ,especially the other side of the aisle given their NON Logical solutions of Errors and Ignorance !!!...

Certainly debatable ,especially the other side of the aisle given their NON Logical solutions of Errors and Ignorance !!!...

They're human..... just incredibly stupid humans.

Terry

I'm not going to say much. Although its never happened before, I lost a gun I was carrying last week.

Its pretty much like you would suspect. I was carrying in a position I wasn't use to and my constant sitting and standing that night worked it loose off my belt. It fell out when I raised my coat to pee outdoors so fell silently in the dark for once. I back tracked my steps and found it but before that had searched my truck and even called a restaurant. Lesson learned, don't carry in that position anymore. Because of a medical condition, I don't feel it there like I do a traditional side carry and being able to feel it has gotten me way out of constantly checking.

Man did I feel dumb. I had just done what I swore I'd never do, carry a gun so much I take it for granted.

So no, I won't call that guy a dumbass, dumbass move yes. You have no idea how relieved I was not only I recovered my gun but I realized I didn't have it in just a very few minutes.

Tj

I'm not going to say much. Although its never happened before, I lost a gun I was carrying last week.

Its pretty much like you would suspect. I was carrying in a position I wasn't use to and my constant sitting and standing that night worked it loose off my belt. It fell out when I raised my coat to pee outdoors so fell silently in the dark for once. I back tracked my steps and found it but before that had searched my truck and even called a restaurant. Lesson learned, don't carry in that position anymore. Because of a medical condition, I don't feel it there like I do a traditional side carry and being able to feel it has gotten me way out of constantly checking.

Man did I feel dumb. I had just done what I swore I'd never do, carry a gun so much I take it for granted.

So no, I won't call that guy a dumbass, dumbass move yes. You have no idea how relieved I was not only I recovered my gun but I realized I didn't have it in just a very few minutes.

Tj

Was it your Kimber Micro? What holster we're you using? That's a great feeling when you go back and lay eyes on your lost item. Edited by gmor

They're human..... just incredibly stupid humans.

Terry

I want a DNA confirmation on Clinton and Pelosi ,just for Starters :segrin: ...

Was it your Kimber Micro? What holster we're you using? That's a great feeling when you go back and lay eyes on your lost item.

Yep the micro, worse Micro with camo grips (Tiger stripe actually very nice looking), a Bianci snap holster with belt clip. Had it in front to one side instead of fully to the side. Obviously not good for sitting down and getting up a lot. The bending was against the spring tension so when I raised my coat, it pulled it out.

My Sig 938 would have been easier to find. Its sights would have glowed in the dark. :hysterical3: I did get to use my Moto flashlight.

In all fairness, I was really distracted. It was like the world was trying to watch me pee behind that tree and I noticed it was gone as soon as I went back in and sat down. I just couldn't remember when or where.

Tj