towtruck

New to me pew pew stick came in today.....

I could not pass this old guy up when I held it in my hands. Remington Model 12A with Lyman hooded front sight and a serial number that dates it to early 1912. I took it apart today and cleaned it all up and the internals look really good. Everything is there and it cycles just fine. The bore is not the best and has some pitting about six inches from the muzzle. The rifling looks good except right at the muzzle it's faint. The butt plate is cracked and other than that it's in pretty good shape.

I will take it to the range next trip an see if it will pattern or group :laugh: .

If it patterns I may consider having the barrel lined as I really want to shoot this guy.

LhpFh4B.jpg

• Like 4

That's a beauty !

If only it could talk...

That's a beauty !

If only it could talk...

Oh, and it came with it's original soft case. It's pretty ragged but usable. The old owner lives around the block from me and is getting up there in age and he sold off all his guns in one lot just to get them gone. I found out about them and was able to score this one from the dealer before he cleaned them up and upped the costs.

8hz8LJm.jpg

Very pretty. That one is worth relining if necessary.

That is too sweet!

Good score! :thumb: There's just something about that old steel that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Good score! :thumb: There's just something about that old steel that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The really cool thing about this one is it's a take down model. One thumb screw is all that is needed to break it in half. I will be able to break it down and store it in the Jeep. I want to make a case for it that will hold it while split apart. I want it to lay right in front of the gas tank under the drivers seat. I will make that happen later.

The really cool thing about this one is it's a take down model. One thumb screw is all that is needed to break it in half. I will be able to break it down and store it in the Jeep. I want to make a case for it that will hold it while split apart. I want it to lay right in front of the gas tank under the drivers seat. I will make that happen later.

That looks a lot like my dads old pump .22

His broke down with one screw like that too if I remember correctly.

That is the perfect weapon for sage rats.......Here's the plan....

Pull your trailer out to your normal shooting distance.

Have a guy lift the old Remington 12A rifle up Red Dawn style and tell them sage rats they are in trouble now!

Sage rats all come out to look and start rolling on the ground laughing at the old Remington 12A rifle.

You and a coupie of other guys pop up and blowed-up them sage rats with the 20 Practical AR's.

The old bait and switch plan... Works every time!!! :bye:

Oh, and congratulations on the new acquisition.

Beautiful classic you have there.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

That is the perfect weapon for sage rats.......Here's the plan....

Pull your trailer out to your normal shooting distance.

Have a guy lift the old Remington 12A rifle up Red Dawn style and tell them sage rats they are in trouble now!

Sage rats all come out to look and start rolling on the ground laughing at the old Remington 12A rifle.

You and a coupie of other guys pop up and blowed-up them sage rats with the 20 Practical AR's.

The old bait and switch plan... Works every time!!! :bye:

Oh, and congratulations on the new acquisition.

Beautiful classic you have there.

Thanks,

Glenn

It will have to get in on some pot gut action this year for sure. I did find new butt plates at Midway...I will have to order one with my next order as I want to get rid of the broken one I have.

• Like 1

Congrats on the rifle. Nice old rifle.

Everybody is getting a new gun but me.

One should not let me have a few extra minutes to play around at the bench........I had this old scope off of my Marlin/Glenfield 22lr from way back in the day before I replaced it with a little better glass. I just could not toss this old thing out and today while messing with my old Remington I wondered if the ring grooves would line up.....and yes they do. I think I will tighten it up and leave it on until I see how it shoots. That way I can get a better idea of how well it groups. Once I do that I will take it off and use the irons and dial them in if needed.

May the gun gods give me a pass on this please....just until I know it shoots :laugh:

aG6rQ50.jpg

What great pics guys. I grew up shooting those. That was the gun used in all the amusement parks. Way fun too.

Tj

What great pics guys. I grew up shooting those. That was the gun used in all the amusement parks. Way fun too.

Tj

Amazing they used live ammo back then too.