redbarron06

Started camper prep this weekend, bad news right away.

So I was going to go and get the camper from storage and bring it to the house and start prep last weekend but the hitch locking pin had frozen up. I would not come off to get the hitch plug out and put the big hitch in for the camper. After oiling and letting it sit for a while it sill almost tore the key apart just trying to unlock it. So some little research later and a trip to the local Lowes and I got a 1 inch pipe, tapped it on about a 1/2 inch and sheared the damn lock right off. I was surprised at how easy it was to completely defeat the system. Well by the time all of this was done the weather had updated and we were expeciting a couple of days of freezing temps so I put off getting the camper until yesterday.

So I didnt do much other than drag it up to the house and unpack the bulkier items yesterday. It is so much easier when you can park it 10 inches from the garage door and you have everything. At the old house it was 100 yards away and you needed a generator to do much in it. Anyway, this morning I started out by putting a little water in the fresh water tank with some bleach to sanitize the tank and lines. Last year I started having some leaks when the tank was full so I was only going to put in 10-15 gallons. Enough to flush the lines and fill the water heater and make sure it was working. Well according to the gage it was about 2/3rds of the way full when I shut the water off. No problems, yet. I turned on the water pump and started purging the air from the lines. Didnt seem to be any issues other than the pump did not shut off when preasuerized like normal. So I walk about the camper inside and out to make sure that all of the faucets and the water heater drain are all closed. There is water coming out at a pretty good rate under the camper. WTF?? So I cut the pump off and start trouble shooting. First I pull the tank cover under the master bed. Just a little trickle coming from the compartment next to it. So I pull that cover. Hey there is a water pump under there and worse there is water everywhere. Well hell. I turn the pump on to see if it is just a loose line and its spewing from the front of the pump where the switch connects. Damn it. One of the ears that holds the switch in is completely broken off.

So I pull the entire pump out and start looking for a replacement. Local place has one in stock, oh lucky me. $119. I check Home Depot online (did anybody know they sell quite a bit of camper stuff), and they have it for $60 but it will be a week before I get it. OK roll the dice on Amazon, $50 after tax and shipping and it will be here Monday. BAM beotches!!!

As far as everything else I could test, it all seemed to work except the power awning did not seem to fix itself over the winter. I didnt really expect it to but you never know. I wont test the water heater until I can get the pump going properly and know it is full of water before turning it on.

Well on to other things. I took some of the old cups and stuff out and put them in a donate pile. Replaced this with about half a dozen RTIC and Ozark Trail tumblers we have collected over the last couple of months. Add a couple of non stick skillets I got for Christmas and a pocket Yahtzee game I picked up last week. That will add some variety with the Phase 10 and a standard deck of cards we had in last year.

The good news is that we had some rain last night. Since the camper sits way nose high at storage its hard to tell of the roof is leaking there but level in the driveway there are no issues, I guess I put enough caulk on it last year when it started to leak. I also added a Ryobi 18V cordless lantern to the hand blower, drill and air compressor that I already keep in the camper. That will be nice for spaces to tight for a standard lantern or just for some quick light without dragging out the propane model. Eventually I want to get a dual fuel style lantern that will be able to use the same gas as my stove.

Also added were a couple of dutch oven/camp ovens. A 12 and a10 inch. I have found that I really enjoy cooking some meals in these at camp.

I have also added some ultra light weight gear to the camper. We want to go some places and do some day hikes so I have added a MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove and some GSI cooking gear for day hikes. Now I am looking at a pack for the dog, it will allow her to carry her own gear and help to burn some of her energy off while we are on hikes. We have already started looking at a couple of state parks that have trails from 2 to 20 miles.

The biggest thing I am looking forward to this year is the ability to simply pack the camper in the driveway rather than having to pack a bag to take to the camper and then unpack it and repack it. Clean up after camping will also be much easier because we can walk laundry and stuff right into the house.

I think next weekend, after I get the water pump replaced, I will drag it down to one of the campgrounds at Ft Campbell. It is the closest one with sewer hookups and finish the shake out with a overnighter. This will let me get the water lines flushed out real good without having to go somewhere to drain the grey water tank. This will also be a little relax time with just me and the Aussie. She loves to camp. Hopefully during the day it will get warm enough to run the AC for a bit and make sure it is up to the job for the hot TN summers.

Sorry for your troubles.

glad the new house is better for you,

but I got tired just reading that.

I hope the rest of the prep goes smoother.

John

Sorry for your troubles.

glad the new house is better for you,

but I got tired just reading that.

I hope the rest of the prep goes smoother.

John

Camper maintenance is not that different from house maintenance. Sometimes things go wrong and you just fix them. Last weekend we found a very slow leak on the kitchen sink in the new house. Nothing much a couple of drops an hour so I gave my wife about a week to pick out a new faucet, we didn’t like the other one any way. I changed that out today too and now one of the faucets in the master bath is dripping. Wife dont like that style so I told her to pick out a replacement and we can change it out to. The only thing is that it is a couple vanity so I will have to change 2 of them.

But back to the camper. We plan on doing several trips this year. Most will be within a couple of hours but we will do at least one major one, we are thinking the gulf coast beach for a week or at least a monday through Friday. I’d like to get in some fishing for crabbing on that trip. It makes it easier to plan longer trips like that with a truck that will pull the camper so much better.

The real sucky part of it is I just got back from being at school for a month in AZ, we have a major inspection at work in 3 weeks, 3 weeks after that I have to go to Ft Rucker AL for 6 weeks, get back from that and 2 weeks later we go to AT up in IN for 2 weeks. After that we will be doing a lot of camping.

Sounds like a full schedule.

I miss camping.

We took ours to the coast this week. I did a quickie scrub down and just filled everything up, and away we went. Had absolutely awful weather. 35 and hail, snow, and lightning/thunder. Sideways rain for a while too. Rained so hard at times that the splash was coming in the roof vents. We had a nice camp spot, with a view of the ocean out the back window, so that wasn't too bad. The reseal on the roof last year must have worked out, because we didn't leak a drop. Only issues I found were a piece of trim came loose inside of one slide, that needs to be fixed. The other, it needs a better bath. The roof didn't get completely clean when I did my quickie wash.

These things take up an amazing amount of time if you do it right. This year I'm pulling the windows and re-sealing, once the weather gets better. Might wait for June or July to do it, so I have a nice long stretch of good weather.

You guys are ahead of me. Mine is still in the yard, dry, and buttoned up. The weather got bad here and when I started to get it ready it started to rain so I stopped. I may not have time to wax it before I take it up to the property. Hell, I may not have time to take it up there before the pdog get together. If it stays wet I wont be able to get it in anyway. I'm hopeful that I will be able to get it up there but I have a busy month in April.

I need to fill it with water and check it out but it should be all ready to go. My water pump bleeds off if you leave the switch on but other than that and some furnace tape for the rattle in the heater it's ready. The generator is ready too. I'm just glad I did not drag it up on the property in February. We have had lots of snow since then.

I will get up top and make sure the caulking is good before I take it out. I always check it twice a year to prevent any leaks. My window seals are still soft so I have a few more years before I need to pull those and reseal. I did not fill my propane tanks as I still have a tank and a half. I need to pull both tanks and have them certified before they will fill them again as they are expired.

I do have it nice as mine can stay right here at home just feet away from the house. It's out of the way but close enough to be handy to load and use here.

I had no problems with the camper as I don't own one yet.

I got out this morning and opened mine up. I filled it with water, fired up the stove and water heater, put a little bleach in the tank and ran a bunch of water through all the lines and did some dishes. Padded the furnace housing so it won't vibrate, ran the AC unit, and flushed the toilet. I took the water pump apart and nosed around in it and decided there was nothing i could really do to it to make it stop leaking off pressure. It was leaking back through the intake and the pump would cycle on and off every 20 seconds. I put it all back together and it works just fine now...what ever I did fixed it for now.

I cleaned a little more, sprayed for critters again, and made up the bed. I still need to get some more pillow cases, dish towels, and salt and pepper in the trailer before we take it out. I opened up the awning and let it dry out too. Later I will climb up top and check the roof and caulking to make sure it all made it through the winter just fine. We have a week of good weather headed our way so hopefully things will dry out enough to get it up to the property once I get back from Vegas. I am only going to have one weekend to get it up there before the pdog hunting weekend. And the only chance I could get it up there before that would be next weekend.....and I know it won't be dry enough then.

Well I got th pump in today. Only took a few minutes to finish the change out. As soon as the system got pressure I noticed that the new pump takes a little longer to auto shut off. Walked around again made sure everything was shut down. There didn’t seem to be any issues then I see the stream of water coming from the bathroom. Did some checking and sure enough the toilet flush valve had also cracked. Looks like Amazon gets another $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H83NHB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks fairly simple to change, and then another check and hopefully it will be ready to go.

Guess I should be happy just having the topper over the bed of my truck. Sleeping bag couple jugs-o-water and propane stove and I am good to go.

Sorry for all your troubles. Once fixed you will at least be comfortable.

Guess I should be happy just having the topper over the bed of my truck. Sleeping bag couple jugs-o-water and propane stove and I am good to go.

Sorry for all your troubles. Once fixed you will at least be comfortable.

It’s nice to have a toilet, heat and AC, when they are working anyway.

It’s nice to have a toilet, heat and AC, when they are working anyway.

Totally get it. Hope you are able to get things fixed up cheaply and in a timely manner!

Well in the olden days we had a Jayco 1006 pop-up camper. In 1991 we had an awesome vacation. 4 1/2 weeks on the road. We drove 9,100 miles as we traveled across the northern US and back to western NY. Hit several national parks and monuments. Drove the Oregon coast etc. It was the wife and I and our 4 sons. Towed the camper with an Aerostar minivan. Total cost of the trip was $2,200 or what it would have cost me to take the family to Disney World for 4 days.

Did two more trips out west and one through New England. Plus some weekend camping here and there. We had that trailer for 18 years and sold it to a young couple. Hopefully it had many more epic adventures. We kept it up and it was still in very good shape when we sold it.