Sign in to follow this  
shaehawkins

Ear muffs

I’ve been using these Field & Stream ear muffs with plugs also cause the range I go to has steel walls (basically inside a bunch of shipping containers) and it’s pretty loud when shooting my AR pistol with a brake and noice director cup if you will, and I’m wondering if getting the electronic muffs would be worth getting? and if so if I use plugs with the muffs will I still be able to hear people talking? I’ve watched a few reviews on YouTube of some but they don’t really explain what I’m wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double ear pro. Plugs inside of muffs is the only way to go

I've been using the TCI DEHP's for about two years now, and I'd recommend them to anybody. It would surprise me if you needed plugs while using these; when we're having a shooting day, I've been able to comfortably stand right next to anybody using a .17 to the .50 and anything in-between. A buddy of mine even tried messing with me once by putting an air horn next to my ear while wearing them, it sounded about as loud as a person talking. Now, they are no doubt pricey, but the way "I" personally looked at it was, over the years I have noticed a decent amount of hearing loss, so (to me) it was worth every penny to preserve what is left. Being as I am hard of hearing, one of the nice features about them is that they amplify ambient sounds, so they double as my hearing aids. That is, right up until it's at a damaging level, then they of course shut off. I'd recommend checking them out:

http://www.safariland.com/products/comms-and-hearing-protection/hearing-protection/electronic-hearing-protection/dehp---tcis-digital-electronic-hearing-protection-DEHP.html#sm.00018vfsxsqg9dytw1g2mu1so581p

One thing I would suggest if you do consider them, however, is getting the gel ear seals. Not only is it more comfortable (especially for those of us with 4 eyes), but I imagine that it also helps to keep it quieter than the foam.

Bought a set of electronic ear muffs from Brownells 6 months ago, 18 miles from me. They are super the sounds that the sensors catch are completely muffed. I walk on dry leaves and that is muffed. You can hear birds in the distance then bang and everything goes silent. I am a happy camper. :tiphat: