edteach

Are 80% lowers legal in Cal. and other states if not milled out?

I was just wondering if any state banned an un-milled 80% receiver? I know you have to give a serial no in Cal. but if you don't make it is it OK to ship there? I ask this because anyone who wants to make an illegal gun is not going to do a serial no and will just mill it. Kind of like the no gun zone crap.

I can't think of any jurisdiction that bans an 80% lower. They're not a firearm, yet. They're just a block of aluminum.

What you have to be worried about with 80% lowers is "Intent" laws. That can even be a federally sticky wicket.

As long as you make them for yourself you should be okay. If you order a hundred and start selling them somebody may want to talk to you.

I don't know about kommieforna, as they have some stupid, unconstitutional laws.

But I would say yes, they are legal. 80% is not a firearm, so they can be shipped right to your house.

Now, if you want to make it a firearm, I'm sure that you are restrained by the laws in that it would have to be made to follow the laws. You know featureless.

As to making firearms in general, by Federal law it's perfectly legal, as long as you are not producing a restricted weapon as in a full auto/select fire weapon, SBS or SBR [ short barrel shotgun, short barrel rifle ] (unless you put in the NFA paperwork and pay the taxes and receive the stamp before hand).

Also, you can't be making said firearm for sale/profit. (You can sell it, but that is a sticky wickit and I don't want to go to long).

You do not have to by Federal law put a serial number on it, but it is advised.

Want to home brew a bolt action rifle? Go for it.

Want to home brew a semi auto rifle? Sure, just make sure it can't be easily converted it full auto.

Build a revolver you say? Yep. You can build anything else you want as long as you are not selling it, making it for profit. That it's not restricted (as in no full auto).

Want to make a suppressor? Go for it! Just file your paperwork and pay the taxes and you are good to go after approval. (I'm sure this doesn't apply to The People's Republic of Kommieforna, but in free American, you can Form 1 a suppressor).

Just look up the law and follow it.

So to recap, in Kommieforna, as far as I know it is legal. I believe that you have to (unlike Free American, Federal law) add a serial number. I believe that until July 1st it's whatever you want, after that you have to get assigned one by your Overlords.

It has to follow state law, whatever that is.

*****~~~~****I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, I have Form 1 a suppressor, SBR and been involved with a friend building a bolt action rifle from scratch. Contact the ATF and your state Overloads for applicable laws. ****~~~~****