srjdsmith

Non-indexing barrel nut

Got my latest lower built. Phase 5 B.A.D., RRA Varmint trigger, FAB Defense GL-Shock Recoil-Reducing Stock with Adjustable Cheekpiece, enlarged pivot & takedown pins... so far pretty happy with it. Now saving for an 18” or 20” stainless barrel in 450 Bushmaster to start the upper build.

I need advice on two things; handguard and sights. This will be a hunting rifle- deer.

I want a trim free-float handguard, Maybe M-Lok, round or hex (not quad- I don’t want the catch-points of all that picatinny and don’t need the accessories) with a proprietary non-indexing barrel nut. Long, like 15”

Also, what sighting system for deer? I’ll want backup iron sights, maybe at a 45, but what main sight for deer? On my 30-06 I have a 1 3/4 - 5 power scope with duplex reticle. Something like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think either the Vortex StikeEagle or the PA 1-8x would be great for that application.

• Like 1

i use vx2 or x3 leupolds 3x9 or 3.5x10 i like their low light gathering and they are not a heavy scope. plus in VT we have a point restriction and the higher power helps.

• Like 1

This is what I have bought the last three times. All you need to do is buy 1 3/16 crowfoot wrench for the non indexing barrel nut and a 9/64 Allen key wrench. They are not flimsy and work great and you can't beat the price. For a 15" is $62.95. They also have a slim profile.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Matrix-Arms-AR-15-Foxtrot-M-LOK-Handguard-p/ma-foxtrot-mlok.htm#ReviewHeader

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 2

I usually buy a Black Hole barrel but towtruck amember built one of these with a BHW barrel and didn't like the barrel profile. .As for a barrel I like this as they are thick and meaty not thinner walled at the flash suppressor end for the bigger calibers. The Satern takes a 3/4-24 threaded muzzle. it takes a .875 gas block.It costs $320.00 but comes with a matched bolt which helps out on the price

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/18-450-bushmaster

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

gshayd gave you the exact forearm / front rail I have found to be the best ,I have several that are 2 and 3 times as expensive but none as good . The Matrix is light slim and strong and you can put Magpul rail sections where you want them for light / sling / grip if need be . As far as sights I have found the Cabela's 3x prism circle dot to be the best for speed and the only illuminated rectical that is clear and acctuly benefitual .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Edited by ozarkpugs
  • Like 1

This is what I have bought the last three times. All you need to do is buy 1 3/16 crowfoot wrench for the non indexing barrel nut and a 9/64 Allen key wrench. They are not flimsy and work great and you can't beat the price. For a 15" is $62.95. They also have a slim profile.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Matrix-Arms-AR-15-Foxtrot-M-LOK-Handguard-p/ma-foxtrot-mlok.htm#ReviewHeader

I saw these and I was a little worried about the price. Don’t get me wrong- a sixth grade public school teacher really can’t afford a $350 handguard. But I wondered if the one I can afford was worth having. On your recommendation I’ll go with a Matrix.

I have Mlock and my son has Keymod currently. Advice on this this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw these and I was a little worried about the price. Don’t get me wrong- a sixth grade public school teacher really can’t afford a $350 handguard. But I wondered if the one I can afford was worth having. On your recommendation I’ll go with a Matrix.

They have the Keymod in the Matrix Handguards also at Joe Bobs. I own some Midwest and Troy Forearms on my AR-15s . The Matrix to me is just as good and it is pretty thick material. I was skeptical also till I got the first one. I would buy either one because I don't hang any stuff on it The most I put on handguards is a rail under the bottom for a bipod and I have both types and they work well for that. Hopefully, somebody will chime in here about there experience with keymod and Mlock.

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1

Keymod is dead.

• Like 1

The first I ordered was for my wife's 16 "6.8 and accidentally got a keymode it is fine but I had to modify the Magpul fasteners a little to fit them mine is m lock and they fit perfectly .Joe Bob carries both .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Purchased a 9" (actually 9 9/16") Matrix M-LOK about a month ago. Matrix lists it as 9.56" in length. Seems good quality to me and a heck of a value / quality ratio. Believe I purchased it after having read reviews posted by gshayd. Got it for 53.95 from JBO and they now have same for 49.95 and they offer leo/military/veteran/etc discount. Made in USA. Hard to beat.

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

Keymod is dead.

I was at Midwest Industries a few weeks back, zero Keymod on the shop floor. Talking to the super helpful dude there, they sell 10:1 Mlock to Keymod and none of their new designs will be offered in Keymod.

Betamax is better than VHS

VHS is dead. So are CD’s. And iPods- dead as doornails. ...the day the music died.

So I’ll get Mlock and make my own “music”.

VHS is dead. So are CD’s. And iPods- dead as doornails. ...the day the music died.

So I’ll get Mlock and make my own “music”.

And Betas tape are still used daily in news room all around the country :segrin:

Betamax won

:hysterical3: