Sign in to follow this  
tommypilot

PSA upper continuing issue

Hey guys,

PSA ar15 (sku 516445152 in case you want to see it). Ive been having an issue with the free float handguard moving forward off the barrel nut. Originally it was thought it was because the locking screws were coming loose, but turns out theyre staying tight. I think its just the vibration from each shot thats some how causing it to move forward. Any thoughts on how I could make it more secure? I thought about maybe a different shim? Or wrapping the barrel nut with something so the handguard fits tighter?

I saw a guy with a BCM at the range the other day. The handguard on that screwed to the barrel nut. Is an aftermarket one like that available?

Thanks!!

You can get an aftermarket in many types.

Sounds likes the handguard rear opening is missing something or is simply just to loose to get a good hold on the barrel nut.

Edited by gshayd

Assuming they're torqued well, do the mating surfaces easily touch (where the screws are)?

Is the barrel nut end of the guard (and exterior of nut) clean and free of any lube?

So that's the style (common) that simply clamps on. I've seen some that come with a small plate (shim) that fits in the "slot" where the attaching screws install. Might try making one or having one machined. Looking at that one it would be a very easy one to make with a couple of holes through it.

Went and looked at my ARs. Three are the style as yours which do only attach from one side to the other. No extra hardware or no attaching directly to the nut.

Two of those have a gap yet are very secure.

The third is a Centurion on my Colt. It has a similar gap but has the shim/spacer I referred to.

I'd probably first try a couple of washers and if they work, Grind the bottoms flat to conform to the handguard bottom.

Edited by bamashooter

I will make sure theres no oil on the barrel nut and handguard.

Yes, theres a shim, but maybe Ill try adding a couple washers too? To make it thicker, thus grip tighter?

Ive painted witness marks on the screw heads and am sure nothings coming loose. I really think its just the shock of each shot bouncing it loose.

Its a nice handguard and Id hate to replace it if I dont have to. Of course m lock would be nicer than the keymod it has.

I will make sure theres no oil on the barrel nut and handguard.

Yes, theres a shim, but maybe Ill try adding a couple washers too? To make it thicker, thus grip tighter?

Ive painted witness marks on the screw heads and am sure nothings coming loose. I really think its just the shock of each shot bouncing it loose.

Its a nice handguard and Id hate to replace it if I dont have to. Of course m lock would be nicer than the keymod it has.

perhaps they'd swap a m-lok. No skin off their nose. Is it centurion by chance?

Call psa might get a warranty call

This! Why mess with It? Make them fix it. That's what warranties are for.

• Like 2

If its new, send it back. They are good for it. Once you try to fix it, its yours.

Edited by hlhneast
  • Like 2

PSA is a good company I would call them up explain the issue and send it back for warranty work. Their QC might be slipping because of the amount of orders they're getting I think they're overwhelmed. There's bound to be a screw up here and there

You bought a new in box product with a warranty from a reputable company. Call them and get their help, this is exactly what warranties are for!

I had a problem like that with my homemade handguards.

They were secure until I installed a forward picatinny rail with a bipod.

The recoil pulled the handguard off a little bit at a time since the bipod was fixed to the ground.

I am still thinking about what to do to make this secure.

40785240902_ee632a0141_c.jpg

Edited by bj139

I had a problem like that with my homemade handguards.

They were secure until I installed a forward picatinny rail with a bipod.

The recoil pulled the handguard off a little bit at a time since the bipod was fixed to the ground.

I am still thinking about what to do to make this secure.

40785240902_ee632a0141_c.jpg

Self-tapping sheet metal screws, WITH the little rubber sealing washer would probably be your best bet. Gotta have the washer though or you may get some gas leakage.

Self-tapping sheet metal screws, WITH the little rubber sealing washer would probably be your best bet. Gotta have the washer though or you may get some gas leakage.

I was thinking that myself but I would like to install 4 screws at 90 degree angles from each other so i could switch handguards without making more holes in the barrel nut. No need for rubber washers since my barrel nut has holes from front to back all around the nut for the gas tube. I need to drill holes perpendicular through these other holes and tap to fit stainless steel screws. I already bought some 10-24 screws. I think this size will fit best. Too many jobs, not enough time.

Edited by bj139
  • Like 1