Hey, guys, I'm thinking about getting into 3 gun and I'd like to know what equipment is suggested.

So 1st off the only gun I have right now is an AR-15 because my collection is all hunting rifles and wheel guns/low cap compact pistols.

Before I get into anything else I want to say I'm not looking to get into 3 gun to be pro I just want to do it for the experience and to see how I do, so I'm not looking for top dollar stuff, I'm just looking for stuff that can do the job and get me through a match.

Alright now that that's out of the way lets talk pistols. I'm thinking a Glock 17 just because of the reliability and 17 rd mag. But if you guys have any better ideas I'm open to listen, but I don't want to hear anybody who hates Glocks just because everybody has one. Also, I don't know about the sights and all that other snazzy stuff that competition pistols have.

For my AR I'm running a Blackhawk lower and a $300 somethin dollar upper I bought off Palmetto State Armory. I'll be running MBUS irons and not sure what scope I want yet.

As for the shotgun I am almost clueless. I don't know if I want a semi or a pump (for clearing extra rounds I didn't need). Forget that I'm thinking semi because I'll be able to shoot faster and if I load extra I can just rack the bolt to clear them, but I'll leave that idea

out there in case you guys have some better ideas. Now for the brand, I have no idea. Like I said before not looking for top dollar just looking for something to get me through the match.

Oh yeah also would like any info you guys have on accessories and gear too... Thanks!!

A good rem 1100/11-87 with extended tube with rds or a mossberg 930 with extended tube and rds seems to be popular. I know Glshooter is into 3 gun so expect hell come through here soon

Alright :snicker: :snicker:

And thanks for the shotgun advice.

Smokey check out the club I told you about over in Sparta IL. They have what is called a tactical 2 gun match that everyone swears is a blast to shoot. You could do it with just a pistol and rifle if you dont have the shotgun stuff yet.

As far as pistol goes I compete with a G19MOS and a vortex red dot. I run 15 round factory mags and its been ok so far. G17 or 34 would be nice though.

Their 2 gun match has some cool stuff like stee targets that are set super tight and might take 3-4 shots to push down. And any mag you drop is gone for the rest of the match. You have to retain them all. Just some cool fun stuff.

• Like 1

Alright man thanks a bunch! It sounds fun!

Also would the benefit of a G19 be the size for maneuverability? Or would it be worse because of muzzle rise and target acquisition? Again I don't know just wondering.

Alright man thanks a bunch! It sounds fun!

Also would the benefit of a G19 be the size for maneuverability? Or would it be worse because of muzzle rise and target acquisition? Again I don't know just wondering.

Benefit of the 19 for me was that I could use it as a carry gun as well and I didnt know if I was gonna like competitions.

Now that I know I do like it I will probably get a G34

Is there anyone who'll let you try out their gear for one match?

I'd hate to see you invest several hundred dollars in equipment just to find out you're not that into it.

Realistically you're going to need a semi auto handgun that'll hold at least 10 rounds in each magazine (possibly more) a holster for the gun and magazine holders for your spare magazines. You'll want a minimum of three mags.

As far as a shotgun, use a pump to start. You can upgrade later if you so desire.

Ear pro and eye pro are required as well, especially if you're shooting at steel targets.

Find out who runs the local match and pick their brain as to what they'd recommend as far as gear and round count is concerned. Round counts can vary depending on who and how they set up the course.

Good luck, and be sure to report back to us to let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

If you have a AR15, semi-auto pistol and a shotgun + extension tube for shotgun shells I would say you are in business. In my experience, most of the folks are pretty friendly at matches and as long as you listen you will pick up some good tips.

Edited by gshayd

If you have a AR15, semi-auto pistol and a shotgun + extension tube for shotgun shells I would say you are in business. In my experience, most of the folks are pretty friendly at matches and as long as you listen you will pick up some good tips.

Agreed. The shooters are always more than willing to give advice and help.

Yeah, the only thing I'm missing is the shotgun w an extension tube. I'm hoping I can get one around $500 but I won't be able to get one until I get back to work because I broke my wrist on vacation. Still got like 2 weeks and I'm super impatient... :tap:

Alright what's up with this price? I was looking for a G19 on gunbroker and came across one with minimal use, 3 extra mags(15 rds), speed loader, backstraps, manual, and original plastic case. The price is at $225 right now w no reserve. But I'm scared about it because it's so cheap.

Alright what's up with this price? I was looking for a G19 on gunbroker and came across one with minimal use, 3 extra mags(15 rds), speed loader, backstraps, manual, and original plastic case. The price is at $225 right now w no reserve. But I'm scared about it because it's so cheap.

How long has it been on the auction? How many days till it ends?

a lot of the gun start off as a penny, and will go crazy towards end of auction. Just warch it

How long has it been on the auction? How many days till it ends?

5 days till it ends, idk when it started but there have been 11 bids on it.