Sign in to follow this  
Retcop

Time for a Berm

Well, the 10 acres adjacent to me finally sold, and the newlyweds seem like really nice people and he is into guns.

He is going to have a lot of soil (clay) to get rid of, and he said I could have as much as I wanted.

BTW: Do to health reasons and no experience with heavy machinery, I am going to have to pay

to have the work done. If this is going to be out off reach I may just fill up some barrels with the dirt and put up some RR ties and call it a day.

I was not going to concentrate on distance, but rather have several backstops so one could take a pistol and AR and do some moving and shooting. A mini course where I could change around the targets to keep it fresh. I don't have a whole lot of space so this is going to take some creative thinking to make it work, and work with complete safety.

Anyone done this before and have some advice to steer me away from trouble ?

Thanks,

John

First thing to do is sit down with a map and an overhead view of your property and the surrounding couple miles and figure out what if anything your fire lanes could endanger if you miss or bounce over the berm. Make sure the project is at least viable on paper before stacking dirt.

As to the actual construction, the only guidance I could offer is piled dirt tends to collapse and settle over time. To keep a fairly vertical impact face to prevent ricochets will either require continued maintenance or non-ricochet material retaining walls like timber or tires.

• Like 1

John you work out the details and rent a skid steer and Ill come down and build it for you.

Shouldnt take but one Saturday.

John you work out the details and rent a skid steer and Ill come down and build it for you.

Shouldnt take but one Saturday.

Depending on where in South IL you are I could come and help if you needed an extra man.