Zephyr One/Zero

Bad News, .40 S&W Lost Its Charm – Good News, This Means Bargains

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/27/bad-news-40-sw-lost-its-charm-good-news-this-means-bargains/

GM_40glck-e1524860191136.jpg

"In the last analysis, the .40 originally skyrocketed to popularity with cops for very good reasons: versatility, street-proven effectiveness, and solid elements of compromise. The way the .40 market is going now, traded-in .40’s may become the best handgun buy since the great wave of trade-in service revolvers."

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Own two: Smith & Wesson CS40 and H&K USP..still like 'em both..

Ive been watching the turn ins and they are indeed very tempting. The reasons for the development of the cartridge are still valid. I love my .45ACP's but the .40SW is getting some love from me. CDNN and Classic Firearms are both selling these turn ins at reasonable prices. Now if I could just stop building AR's long enough to get one.......

• Like 1

Everybody has a 40 but me......and Noneya of course.

Not a fan. I'll take 9mm or 45 over the 40 any day of the week.

• Like 2

Not a fan. I'll take 9mm or 45 over the 40 any day of the week.

I've got to agree. I've never met a .40 that I really liked. I've had everything from full sized G22's, 23's, and several pocket rockets that I tried so hard to like. None of them really lit a fire in me at all...

I've got to agree. I've never met a .40 that I really liked. I've had everything from full sized G22's, 23's, and several pocket rockets that I tried so hard to like. None of them really lit a fire in me at all...

Like what you shoot. Shoot what you like.

I have 3 CZs an oddball AMT Skipper and a 1911 Commander (under construction) in 40.

The CZs are all very nice shooters. The Skipper is even surprisingly nice and fairly soft shooting.

• Like 1

Like what you shoot. Shoot what you like.

I have 3 CZs an oddball AMT Skipper and a 1911 Commander (under construction) in 40.

The CZs are all very nice shooters. The Skipper is even surprisingly nice and fairly soft shooting.

You owe me a Dr. Pepper and a moon pie for using my copyrighted expression.

• Like 1

It's been tempting with some of the surplus sales but the compromised capacity compared to 9mm amd the bigger 45 bullets just make me pass. A new buyer would do very well to get a 40 though

A cheap .40 would make a great truck glove box gun, or RV drawer gun.

That Creed is a good gun. It's a revamp of the older PPX. I've shot the 9m PPX and cannot ding it on too much. Trigger mostly. It's not a PPQ but it's does not suck.

Or a new Walther Creed would be pretty tempting too.

This has been very tempting.

The Creed is on sale for $265.00 at a couple of places.

The Creed is on sale for $265.00 at a couple of places.

How does it compare to the ppq as far as quality and trigger are concerned?

How does it compare to the ppq as far as quality and trigger are concerned?

Post #14.

Post #14.

Musta breezed right over that! :laugh:

Musta breezed right over that! :laugh:

You did. I had to comb mah hair back in place!

You did. I had to comb mah hair back in place!

:bellylaf:

I used to own one .40 Swishers & Welfare, a p229, but I got rid of it years ago. I do own a few 10mm handguns though, and the glock will fire .40 out of the 10mm barrel without much trouble, but I usually stick to 10mm.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the .40, either in practical use, or in terminal ballistics.

The eternal caliber debate does help avoid those awkward silences when people get together and the conversation fizzles...

I read an artical,maybe here, about the fluctuation of caliber popularity. IIRC the point was popularity fluctuated as ammo performance changed. My .40 has worked for me for several years. I'll keep it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the .40, either in practical use, or in terminal ballistics.

The eternal caliber debate does help avoid those awkward silences when people get together and the conversation fizzles...

You're quite right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the caliber at all. However, like the great man-stopper the 125gr. .357 Magnum, it's been made less relevant than it once was. At one time it served to bridge the gap between 9mm and .45ACP, and now there is really no gap in terminal performance. It's lost it's advantage. It's not useless by any means, but like the .357Magnum, it's no longer the ideal defense cartridge that so many believed it to be.