Sign in to follow this  
adamwwiseman

New to AR's

I just bought MAG Tactical Systems MG-G4 and cant find much about them other than the company went out of business and I was wondering if they are good guns? Also I dont know who makes the upper or how to check so if anyone could let me know that would be great and if there are some major do's and don'ts with AR's in specific.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome. DO buy lots of ammo. DONT be afraid to ask questions. I'm not familiar with that manufacturer but some one here will be

• Like 1

Welcome to the best site on the web!

I don't know anything about the uppers, but that lower is Magnesium and not as durable as most aluminum lowers.

There's even a video on YouTube of one that broke the back end off.

I have one of those lowers, and it will most likely be relegated to a dedicated .22LR build at some point.

Edited by Longhair
  • Like 1

It seems to be a nice rifle so far and it's never been shot. I dont believe it's the stock upper but I'm not sure. I got the rifle with Pmag furniture all around and 3 30rnd Pmags with it for $650 does that seem like a decent deal?

Welcome to the board !

I think people are wanting to help, but there are hundreds if not thousands of companies assembling AR's today,

and apparently not too many folks are familiar with that brand.

Find a buddy who is into AR's and have hem check it out. It all depends on the quality of parts used, and the care taken in assembling the rifle.

If you are really concerned, take it to a gunsmith who is well versed in AR's.

As for the price, you don't gives any details in the parts used, or any extras, but for that price

I believe you could have had a new S&W AR-15 II with a lifetime warrenty.

What matters most is if you are happy with it. What lomg Hair is getting at is that as the round count on the gun goes up,

you may want to think about replacing the magnesium lower with an aluminum one, which witt not be exspensive,

or picking up a full lower , and using your magnesium lower for a .22long rifle upper, which is great for plinking and traing.

Shoot what you like, and like what you shoot.

John

Edited by Retcop
  • Like 1

What Longhair is getting at is that as the round count on the gun goes up, you may want to think about replacing the magnesium lower with an aluminum one, which will not be expensive, or picking up a full lower , and using your magnesium lower for a .22long rifle upper, which is great for plinking and training.

That's exactly where I was going with my post.

I guess I wasn't feeling too wordy at that moment, or I also would have stated that the one that broke had several thousand rounds downrange before failure. The problem with Magnesium is that it becomes brittle with vibration. It is enough harder than Aluminum that it's more prone to effectively work harden and then fracture at the weakest high stress point, which happens to be at the tail where the buffer tube receiver meets the top back of the grip. The softer that you can reliably make it cycle the longer it will hold up.

In my case, I have several AR's and several lowers to build, so my MAG will go straight to a .22LR and last forever. Once you're bitten by the bug, you'll find that it's not a big deal to swap out lowers for specific tasks, and that more are in your future. That will make designating that one to a different assignment easier to imagine. Until then, shoot it and have a blast!

........... Once you're bitten by the bug, you'll find that it's not a big deal to swap out lowers for specific tasks, and that more are in your future. That will make designating that one to a different assignment easier to imagine. Until then, shoot it and have a blast!

I can resist more after a couple more builds I have in mind.

I can resist more after a couple more builds I have in mind.

Ssshhhhsssh! Its better to ask forgiveness.............

Looking forward to the next build Bama. I see another BRD brother. I think we need to ask Tack what he said to his wife after number 45. "Thats the last one, I swear!"

• Like 2

Welcome to the Armory. :tiphat:

Stick around. Ask your questions. Join in the conversations. Post pictures. I was you 5 years ago, just joined to ask few questions and been here ever since. 5 years ago. Has it been that long? Wow!

• Like 2

Welcome to the Armory. :tiphat:

Stick around. Ask your questions. Join in the conversations. Post pictures. I was you 5 years ago, just joined to ask few questions and been here ever since. 5 years ago. Has it been that long? Wow!

How time flies when you are having a good time! I am a member of several firearm forums but the Armory is where I consider home. A bunch of great guys willing to help. The knowledge base is incredible with members having carried the original M16A1 defending freedom all the way to newcomers just starting to feel the first pulls of Black Rifle Disease. I was a hold out for a long time but after purchasing my first rifle a bit more than two years ago, The BRD has taken over completely.

Nothing wrong with a hobby as long as the money isnt needed elsewhere.

The lower is a magnesium alloy that is proprietary to the company.

MAG Tactical did not produce their own line of ARs. The produced magnesium lower receivers and assembled uppers from low value parts from other companies. From what I have read, the quality was lacking and there were some issues associated with the ARs they sold. My brother recently had a guy wanted to trade his MAG Tactical AR for a pistol he had. Fortunately, I was able to inform him about the MAG Tactical issue and prevent him from making a bad trade. It is never a bright idea to buy an AR, such as one from MAG Tactical, from a company that has gone out of business after a short while. The magnesium lower is a good candidate for a dedicated .22LR AR, but not much else. They are lightweight and brittle. Forged aluminum lowers are much stronger.

Thank you all for welcoming me aboard. I have done some research to figure out who made the barrel and some other parts and bits on the rifle. I found out the barrel Is made by FN and licensed under Palmetto State armory and made from "machine gun metal" its chrome lined and cold hammer forged which I hear are all good things. I wish I had done more research before my purchase but I have learned a lot along the way so in a way it was worth it. When money allows I will be buying a new lower but once again I'm not sure who are some good mid range companies to look into. If anyone knows some good reliable lower receivers for a decent price I'd love some ideas. Thank you all for your help and knowledge.

Thank you all for welcoming me aboard. I have done some research to figure out who made the barrel and some other parts and bits on the rifle. I found out the barrel Is made by FN and licensed under Palmetto State armory and made from "machine gun metal" its chrome lined and cold hammer forged which I hear are all good things. I wish I had done more research before my purchase but I have learned a lot along the way so in a way it was worth it. When money allows I will be buying a new lower but once again I'm not sure who are some good mid range companies to look into. If anyone knows some good reliable lower receivers for a decent price I'd love some ideas. Thank you all for your help and knowledge.

Palmetto State Armory has some good lowers and they are reasonably priced. They will often have a sale on them. Here is one on sale right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

• Like 1