morrcarr67

922r AR Compliance

I have a question about 922r compliance when it comes to the AR platform.

How many of the the 922r parts are in an AR?

To help with the counting here's the list:

For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15)*Butt stocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, hand guards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floor plates

To make it a little more interesting I'd like to see what you think about the "trigger housing". Does that mean the part that surrounds the exposed part of the trigger? If it does if you're using a new style billet lower with the "trigger guard" machined as a completely closed part of the frame does that mean it no longer has a separate "trigger housing"?

Here are a couple of pictures of milspec and billet lowers for review.

888781e968c60495d2e106badc01ac05.jpg

4a75f599396730c0a4f46fef0bdeef24.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

The "trigger housing" doesn't apply to an AR either way. Think more along the lines of an M1 rifle trigger group as a housing. There are other rifles with what would be considered a trigger housing. Many of the HK models as another. Technically, the lower receiver of an AR is the trigger housing.

The "trigger housing" doesn't apply to an AR either way. Think more along the lines of an M1 rifle trigger group as a housing. There are other rifles with what would be considered a trigger housing. Many of the HK models as another. Technically, the lower receiver of an AR is the trigger housing.

Okay, so how many 922r parts are in an AR?

Most of your ARs are built in the US. 922R is for import firearms.

• Like 1

Most of your ARs are built in the US. 922R is for import firearms.

All of the AR's sold here are made here because of 925(d)(3).

And 922r still applies to rifles made in the USA.

And you'd might be surprised how many of the parts in that budget LPK and upper parts are not made in the USA.

I have never seen a LPK part which said "Made anywhere" in my life. An AR has 17 of those parts. It doesn't have a trunion, gas piston (99% of them anyway) or a sear. So you can use only 7 parts made in the USA to make an AR "legally".

Now, having said that, I have never heard of the ATF doing metallurgical forensics to determine where a part was made to actually prosecute someone. But, they could do it that way if they really wanted to jam you up. Chances are they are not going to spend the time and effort to do it to a guy who puts together a gun in his shop at home.

It would actually be really hard to make an AR with too many foreign parts. There just are not a lot of foreign AR parts out there. It is an American gun and even those made by foreign companies are actually made in the USA from USA parts because military contracts require it.

I have never seen a LPK part which said "Made anywhere" in my life. An AR has 17 of those parts. It doesn't have a trunion, gas piston (99% of them anyway) or a sear. So you can use only 7 parts made in the USA to make an AR "legally".

Now, having said that, I have never heard of the ATF doing metallurgical forensics to determine where a part was made to actually prosecute someone. But, they could do it that way if they really wanted to jam you up. Chances are they are not going to spend the time and effort to do it to a guy who puts together a gun in his shop at home.

It would actually be really hard to make an AR with too many foreign parts. There just are not a lot of foreign AR parts out there. It is an American gun and even those made by foreign companies are actually made in the USA from USA parts because military contracts require it.

Thanks for your your response.

I agree with you on never seeing a made in stamp. But they do; or at least should, have a origin mark. I also agree with you that it is very doubtful that ATF would inspect your average Joe's gun but they probably do with the large manufacturer.

Just so you know why I was asking it's because I work for a company that manufactures several of those parts overseas for some large OEM customers and we're going to start manufacturing parts here in the US by the start of the fourth quarter this year.

The boss is thinking about getting an FFL down the road and building our own line of rifles but wasn't quite sure at how many parts we would need to make here.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk