AR15Armory.com

Gun shop guys

srjdsmith

So I can send you a box of guns to sell on consignment eh, you can even price them for your area & just send me a check :segrin: :segrin: :segrin:

2 gunshops here and 3 pawn shps, pawn shops give you 30% max for the gun and consignment is 15% for them, you tell them what you want & they add 15% & it can sit for months if not longer......

To be honest though, stocking AR parts is a pain in the ass. Lot of companies want huge buy ins and there are endless options so you end up have shat sitting on shelves that the prices are not consistant and you run the risk of loosing money on it. With that said, i rarely work on or have requests for parts as the platform is basicly marketed as a user modifiable platform. When i do work on them it is because on inferior part or the customer wants a muzzle device or gas block pinned.

The only thing I keep is detents, springs, gas rings and extractor parts. And, the only thing i have for sale are used guns on consignment, purchased or firearms built by me. Reason being, I had a gun store fit a wilson combat ambi safety to a para ordnace I had bought and the completely buggered it up. The safety worked, but they filed the tennin were the two halves met and were no longer a friction fit. I was very upset as I frequented the store a lot (asked for a deal on some primers one day, and the sales person said sure, you spent over 18k this year right in front of my wife. Had a deal with her that i could buy guns with the side money I was making painting cars and home renovations. Dick move in my book...) The install was so shatty i did not even want them to try to fix it. Because of the above, i have never and will never let a shop that is primarily retail work on anything.

We let our customer set the price and charge 10% and i worry about collecting sales tax. I dont believe in inflating the customers asking price as it makes a difference on how fast they want to move it.

Edited by hzhardy

Be adventuresome, it's what, 2.5 hours to Grinnell & then ya can swing in to Rubes in Montour on the way home for a steak :tiphat: :tiphat:

I've got 2 blue label Gen 5 Glock 19's on order.....it's a 6 hour drive to the only blue label dealer in the state.....will be spending the night in a hotel...all for 2 Glock 19's :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

• Like 1

The big issue with doing an out of state consignment is that the fed treats it like a pawn and you have to do a 4473 to get it back. It is not a big deal for my locals but an out of state dealer will charge a transfer fee...

Your a real shop, with a real gunsmith and not somebody wanting to make a easy/fast buck or 3 and trying to fill a void & then finding out how little you make and how hard you work......

Gun shops are built on reputation as are Gunsmiths & when the only real machinist/Gunsmith with a class 7 license folds up cuz people felt he was "expensive" vs the cheap assed I watch you tube videos "gun smith"

We let our customer set the price and charge 10% and i worry about collecting sales tax. I dont believe in inflating the customers asking price as it makes a difference on how fast they want to move it.

That really sounds good.....think when we cross IA this summer going to PA, will make a detour to the Amana Colonies, possible the Ronneburg Restaurant and some of the very best food you will ever have....but will have to stop in Haverhill for the best tenderloin in state....dang, I'm getting fatter and fatter..... :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

Be adventuresome, it's what, 2.5 hours to Grinnell & then ya can swing in to Rubes in Montour on the way home for a steak :tiphat: :tiphat:

I've got 2 blue label Gen 5 Glock 19's on order.....it's a 6 hour drive to the only blue label dealer in the state.....will be spending the night in a hotel...all for 2 Glock 19's :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

That really sounds good.....think when we cross IA this summer going to PA, will make a detour to the Amana Colonies, possible the Ronneburg Restaurant and some of the very best food you will ever have....but will have to stop in Haverhill for the best tenderloin in state....dang, I'm getting fatter and fatter..... :hysterical3: :hysterical3: :hysterical3:

the older we get the easier

My LGS is a good group of guys, and whomever said that the customers that wouldn't STFU were the problem, was spot-on. I walked in to look at a gun, hadn't been in there in a while. I usually buy 3-4 guns a year there, probably about $500-1000 worth of ammo a year, so more than a casual shopper. I stopped in to look at Sigs. I settled on my Legion, and it was the better part of $1200. This know-it-all customer was in there with his "spouse". Both of them had a negative tattoo to tooth ratio, and the wife was talking about pit bulls, and he was spouting something about shooting federal agents when they came to enforce a state law regarding assault weapons, that hadn't even been presented as a prospective ballot measure yet. It was every stereotype in the world, right there. I walked out shaking my head. I went back two weeks later and dropped a good chunk of money on gun, ammo, and other bits. I told them that I was sorry, but it was damned hard to pull out my debit card when the retard twins were in the shop running their mouths. They knew just what I meant, and I was given zero hassles getting my stuff.

I have "fired" two gun shops for employees running their mouths and trying to tell me things that I needed, or didn't need, or what I should REALLY be shopping for.

• Like 1

Was in a gunshop Sat looking for ammo, the guy I tried talking to was open carrying a Glock 42 in a serpa holster and told me nobody needed the kind of firepower a 357 mangum was and that all you needed was a Glock 380 like he carried....as he's a professional........

Looked at him and said a professional dumbass who lost his only clue in life and walked out.....

All I wanted was some cheap 357 magnum blasting ammo......but noooo, I get lectured on how great the 380 is and that wheelguns are for target shooting only & nobody need a 357 mag.....

freaking people.....

yeh freaking people :lol:

Was in a gunshop Sat looking for ammo, the guy I tried talking to was open carrying a Glock 42 in a serpa holster and told me nobody needed the kind of firepower a 357 mangum was and that all you needed was a Glock 380 like he carried....as he's a professional........

Looked at him and said a professional dumbass who lost his only clue in life and walked out.....

All I wanted was some cheap 357 magnum blasting ammo......but noooo, I get lectured on how great the 380 is and that wheelguns are for target shooting only & nobody need a 357 mag.....

freaking people.....

A smartass with an OC .380 ?!

I'm surprised you did not bust a cap in his ass !

Holding your pistol sideways, of course) :segrin:

• Like 1

I think I started the conversation with, By any chance, would you happen to stock...? I mean, I get it. I was taking a long shot, hoping they maybe had one basic model in stock. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just had a similar experience with one of the Armorys sponsors yesterday. They are a great LGS and internet retailer. Actually built a pistol for me a few years ago. Called, asked if they had what I needed, they did, and I picked it up without difficulty. A great experience! There are good shops out there. But Ive always said, a smile and a kind word goes a long way. I cannot imagine the stuff they hear from behind the counter. I always try to ask thoughtful questions and not take up their time if Im just window shopping. But, when a purchase is the reason Im there, I expect the proper amount of Customer Service. Not too much to ask or expect. Our sponsors shop is great that way!

Edited by ewallover

I guess Im just lucky. I live just outside a tiney town only three traffic lights downtown on the main drag. My LGS is on a corner at the second light. Its a true family shop which was started by the owner, a younger guy with aspirations of joining the miltary but unfortunatley lost an arm in motor vehicle accident that wasnt his fault. His mom handles the register while he does the gunsmithing and teaches ccw classes in the evenings and on Saturdays. The family dog wanders around making friends, and I would imagine sniffs out the dirtbags.

They have a decent inventory and can usually get me whatever I want quickly if they dont. They also dont mind talking to you even if your just browsing and even though the owner only has one arm you'd have a hard time believing hes handicapped. He even shoots competitively and really knows his stuff about firearms. This is actually the second one armed gunsmith Ive known and they were both fantastic. I still have the custom SA 1911 the other one built for me almost thirty years ago.

I try to pop in at least once a week even if I dont buy anything just to stay on good terms. I know theres some real duds out there but occassionally you do find a real gem like this one.

Can't reccomend them highly enough.

Edited by muzlblast

My LGS is a good group of guys, and whomever said that the customers that wouldn't STFU were the problem, was spot-on. I walked in to look at a gun, hadn't been in there in a while. I usually buy 3-4 guns a year there, probably about $500-1000 worth of ammo a year, so more than a casual shopper. I stopped in to look at Sigs. I settled on my Legion, and it was the better part of $1200. This know-it-all customer was in there with his "spouse". Both of them had a negative tattoo to tooth ratio, and the wife was talking about pit bulls, and he was spouting something about shooting federal agents when they came to enforce a state law regarding assault weapons, that hadn't even been presented as a prospective ballot measure yet. It was every stereotype in the world, right there. I walked out shaking my head. I went back two weeks later and dropped a good chunk of money on gun, ammo, and other bits. I told them that I was sorry, but it was damned hard to pull out my debit card when the retard twins were in the shop running their mouths. They knew just what I meant, and I was given zero hassles getting my stuff.

I have "fired" two gun shops for employees running their mouths and trying to tell me things that I needed, or didn't need, or what I should REALLY be shopping for.

I didn't fire the one I used in OKC for this exactly. I just talked to the owner and he fired the guy that was being a dick explaining how 'red dot" Aimpoints didn't really put a dot on the target and I really didn't need to know what the MOA was on the dot. Said it didn't matter..lol Back then I was spending thousands of dollars a year at that shop for guns and reloading supplies.

Greg

Well I didn't have the problem of some guy who doesn't know me telling me what I should do the last gun purchase I made. He was too busy telling the nice couple from out of state what they needed to the point I got frustrated, pointed at the forms, and said "Hand me one of those.". :hysterical3:

I had it filled out about the time he figured out that North Carolina hat meant they weren't buying a gun that day just in time for him to hand me the gun I came in to buy.

BTW, No need to dicker, the gun I was buying was on sale that day. After listening to him, I was fine with him not having time for someone actually buying a gun that day.

Tj