AR15Armory.com

Thoughts on the Sig P238 and ammo options for 380

Let me start by saying I have never been a big fan of pocket pistols. I get that they serve a purpose especially when lightly dressed in hot weather but I have always just dressed around a larger firearm. The upside to them is the ability to conceal, and comfort of carry. The down side is accuracy (short sight radius), lacking knockdown power beause of the shorter barrel and magazine capacity.

Now all of that being said I am wanting to get something that I can tuck into the pouch of my kneeboard for flying the border. A 380 while not ideal, is still better than nothing. When not flying it may be used as a traditional pocket pistol so I am also looking at carry options but I will still roll more of a full sized when not required to be in uniform.

I know there are a couple of folks here that have the Sig. I really dont have a lot of time with pocket pistols in my hand and the ones I am most familure with are the most popular like the LCP and such. So while at Academy yesterday I was looking at other options, and saw the Sig. I has a 1911 look and feel that I am very used to as my choice for normal carry. Obviously much smaller and light weight but all of the controls are where my body knows they should be. Because of the trigger lock I could not get a feel for that. How is it? The sights looked ok but on the one Academy had there was a gap between the front sight base and the slide. Very small gap but enough to make me wonder about snagging.

This carries on of course to ammo selection. I know 380s are not known for man stopping ability but like I said, they are still better than a stick. There have been a lot of ammo advances in the past couple of decades and I would venture to say that some of the 380 of today might give the 9mm of 1990 a run for its money as far as effectiveness on target. While I would l love to up the caliber to at least 9mm the space available to stash the pistol isnt there. I know there is no such thing as best in the firearm world but there is certainly better than others. For you guys that do tote 380s regularly what is your choice of pills and why?

Looking forward to the education. Please dont evolve this into a 380 bashing fest. I got what I got and I am looking for something to fit it and from what I have seen 380 will at least fit the footprint and I dont want to drop down to a 32 Auto or 22.

I know you need to be careful on ammo selection for your gun. Some of the rounds that are good in other calibers do not perform the same out of a small 380. I don't know if it has been corrected but one of the high end Hornady loads (I think critical defense, but not sure) would consistently fail to expand when fired from actual 380 pocket guns.

Make sure you test whatever you end up with for both reliability and performance as advertised before you count on that cool little blaster.

I know you need to be careful on ammo selection for your gun. Some of the rounds that are good in other calibers do not perform the same out of a small 380. I don't know if it has been corrected but one of the high end Hornady loads (I think critical defense, but not sure) would consistently fail to expand when fired from actual 380 pocket guns.

Make sure you test whatever you end up with for both reliability and performance as advertised before you count on that cool little blaster.

That’s kinda why I’m posted up here to see what others have expierenced

I love my Sig P238 it is buttery smooth and it is good from 7 to 15 Yards. It operates just like a 1911. The trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly. I carry it the most here in hot and humid SE TX under a T-shirt that is not tucked in. It has had zero malfunctions and you hardly notice any recoil at all.

gallery_24285_275_46397.jpg

Edited by gshayd

The 1911 feel is what I am really liking about it so far, but a Llama had that too but that dont make it a good gun. Glad to hear there have been no issues with it at all. Are you toting it IWB or OWB and what type of holster?

I want making an attempt to compare the 2 other than the 1911 feel.

I compared it directly to the Colt .380 which they had. It was a big difference to me between them I chose the Sig P238.

I have a 238 that I picked up right around christmas and still haven't gotten to the range with it. I have the rosewood grip version. It's much smoother to operate than my P3AT which I have no business shooting as well as I do.

Edited by Jaeger48

You qualify for Sig's LEO/Mil discount program and can get a Sig as the price of a Glock (or that's where it was when I used the program)

How big is the pouch on the kneeboard, I remember seeing them, but never paid any attention.

Would a J frame revolver fit, or is that to thick?

How about the Sig 240rs, it's a 9mm single action with a long trigger pull and the same size as most of there 380's......

Ive rented several Sig 380's at the range, do not like the controls, they are so small and hard to hit, under stress so stupid easy to miss and miss and miss again. SHooting the 380;s on the timer I've missed them & my hands are large to X large.

Go somewhere and finger freak the different pistols, see what fits you and then see if you can rent em to go bang with....

Ammo....the 380 has penetration issues and expansion issues, JH's do not penetrate deep enough and ball will, but it's like a ice pick and the body will tampanade itself off....

Look at ball ammo that's heavy and fast, not light and fast, get the heaviest weight bullet in the fmj line of ammo, buffalo bore is said to have some stupid hot ammo, check them out. You want to penetrate and chance hitting vitals....

I'd also get a Spyderco Matriarch knife as a backup, the blade wont take much abuse, but nothing cuts human flesh like this thing.....