BushXM15

So How Many Rounds out of a New Bore before You begin

OK : So everyone's got an opinion ,lets hear them . Breaking in a NEW barrel what do YOU do ?.

I start by Polishing MY bore not excessively but thoroughly then Clean the dog snot out of it !.

Followed by fouling shots shoot one ,then clean bore repeat around 8-12 times generally .

I then begin too shoot either #2 or #3 rounds and clean , I might do this 4-6 times .

I then begin load development ,I'll shoot #3 and swab for copper and adjust depending on copper left behind .

By Adjusting I might scrub bore with compound paste or shoot more foulers and clean the Dog Snot out of the bore again .

Generally by #50-60 rounds I'm either happy or disappointed with load or barrel accuracy and investigate as too which is the culprit !...

My barrel break in?

Initial clean :(bore snake), then load and shoot.

I've yet to see proof "break in" does anything personally.

A really rough bore may take a few more shots to smooth out, still I don't do anything special.

YMMV.

Well, I have tried to break in my Black Hole barrel and got 1 patch of black powder fouling and then no copper fouling at all. Did that for a few shots and then switched to 5 rounds between cleaning. Still no copper. Stopped messing with it, fired 150 or so over the course of 3 months and then tried again and got the very faintest of blue on the patch.

I am sure some barrels could benefit from break in but it doesn't seem that BHW barrels need it at all.

And I have to say the BHW barrel is the smoothest barrel I have ever driven a patch through. It almost feels like the jag is undersized.

For the last four years all I do is run a wet patch through them and a dry patch. I then go shoot. I haven't seen a thing that helps these poly barrels on break in. I'm as likely to get a sub- 0.5 MOA group with the first five on target as not if not then within four groups. I clean the barrel after the first 75-100 rounds or so.

Greg

ARP warns against excessive cleaning ,I just clean once and shoot until accuracy drops off .Out of my 5 most accurate guns 3 are ARP 6.8s so who am I to argue .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

More barrels have been worn out or damaged by cleaning than ever have been shot out. A quick wet patch to clean any dust/dirt/grease leftover from the rifling process, a dry patch to ensure it's clean, then go shoot for groups.

• Like 1

Old Gail wrote that years ago. Smart man. BTW the BHW barrels have special wax in them that is best left in place during the first shots It seems to help longevity on the barrel. Something about a bare bullet in a dry bore causes issues.

Greg

Initial clean with a bore snake, I fill the magazine, I shoot the magazine.

Clean it once you see a drop in accuracy. For me once a year on some rifles, followed by a range session.

Greg, need you to have a class for armory members so I can get my money out of a 6.5 bergara hmr b14.

Greg, need you to have a class for armory members so I can get my money out of a 6.5 bergara hmr b14.

He'd definitely give you some good advice.

You going to the Armory get together? NRA Whittington center with lots of long rang shooting going on!

He'd definitely give you somehow advice.

You going to the Armory get together? NRA Whittington center with lots of long rang shooting going on!

Not with my work schedule. Would love to go but everytime I think I'm going to be able to shoot I end up going to a different part of the country lol.

Before Gale McMillion died he told me barrel break in was desigend by barrel makers to sell more barrels as all they did was to accelerate wear and was totally useless...........

OK : So everyone's got an opinion ,lets hear them . Breaking in a NEW barrel what do YOU do ?.

I start by Polishing MY bore not excessively but thoroughly then Clean the dog snot out of it !.

Followed by fouling shots shoot one ,then clean bore repeat around 8-12 times generally .

I then begin too shoot either #2 or #3 rounds and clean , I might do this 4-6 times .

I then begin load development ,I'll shoot #3 and swab for copper and adjust depending on copper left behind .

By Adjusting I might scrub bore with compound paste or shoot more foulers and clean the Dog Snot out of the bore again .

Generally by #50-60 rounds I'm either happy or disappointed with load or barrel accuracy and investigate as too which is the culprit !...

Not with my work schedule. Would love to go but everytime I think I'm going to be able to shoot I end up going to a different part of the country lol.

That sucks.

It's too bad my big trip this year is to my 50th high school reunion. I'd love to be there. As fro teaching a class ..I'm not anymore talented than you guys I just paint my self in a good light.

My specialty is MATH and how to apply it to the gun. Plain and simple if the math is right and the aim is true, along with maybe twenty other things, it'll be a hit. Mild dots are one of my big things and how they are used to range targets or establish target sizes. Throw in a dose of trigonometry and you have most of my secrets.

My approach to shooting is also quite mental, in a good way BTW, in that prep of he brain really pays off. A bit of self esteem/ego that can be pulled up and not be bruised too badly when things don't go perfectly well. I sure didn't develop it but I've found that over time lots of things can be improved with the right set of thoughts. I learned it early on bowling for money. I don't always get solidly into the mind set as much as I should but it's in there.If you read the little vignette on my shooting the groups with the 6X6.8 the other day when the SWAT boys started to watch I can tell you I dug deep that day and buzzers get me into hyper-drive. It's there when you develop and have success with it over time.

This is a little clip that only takes a bit of substitution to apply to us. If I could teach you all one thing this would be it. It was a huge changeling teaching my classes for M/o's, snipers, over the years with younger guys with some experience but no real foundation in precision shooting. They rarely had the mind set when they got to class and other than the dry math I tried to get them to transcend to that level. Those testosterone charged young studs had to be gentled down to produce on demand and I like to think that they left with the wisdom and experience of the Gene Wilder looking guy who was just a nurse.

Just some thoughts that are a tad of topic. Now if you'll excuse me I have 300 cases that need filling.

Greg

• Like 1

To quote my millennial rookie, "You do you"

More barrels have been worn out or damaged by cleaning than ever have been shot out. A quick wet patch to clean any dust/dirt/grease leftover from the rifling process, a dry patch to ensure it's clean, then go shoot for groups.

So according to You .More Barrels have been worn out by cleaning rather than by Throating ?. ( erosion caused by direct impingement of gas and solid particles traveling across the bore surface.)

With Precision barrels such as Lija and Schnieder break in isn't as crucial as with other barrels IMO . The a fore mentioned are pretty much hand lapped at factory but other off the shelf barrel and Rifle manufacturers aren't as demanding or picky , their production orientated not precision driven !.

As with any other subject there are fiction and tales then there are Facts with proven results , I shall stick with the latter ...

So according to You .More Barrels have been worn out by cleaning rather than by Throating ?. ( erosion caused by direct impingement of gas and solid particles traveling across the bore surface.)

With Precision barrels such as Lija and Schnieder break in isn't as crucial as with other barrels IMO . The a fore mentioned are pretty much hand lapped at factory but other off the shelf barrel and Rifle manufacturers aren't as demanding or picky , their production orientated not precision driven !.

As with any other subject there are fiction and tales then there are Facts with proven results , I shall stick with the latter ...

You're kind of being a jerk here. You asked what we (other members) do, I offered an opinion. You countered that and offered up opinions supporting your argument. I decided not to argue, and simply said you do your thing, I'll do mine. Now you suggest my opinion is "fiction and tales", and yours is obviously "facts with proven results"? This is the kind of crap that made gmor almost a pariah around here. His opinion is the only correct one based in "fact", everyone else is simply spewing lies and hate.

Don't be a gmor.

Don't be a gmor.

That’s great can I use that?

To the OPs question. I do not break a barrel in but rather more technicially speaking I build it up. With my brand new GA Presicsion FBI HRT rifle I followed in instructions presented in the Sniper 101 videos series. Basically what I am doing is building up a solid bearing of copper in the barrel so the the bullet is gliding on as much copper as possible during its trip down the tube. What I noticed was that my MV increased and my groups decreased as the copper bearing surface was built. I did this with standard ammo off the shelf while getting my scope in the general vicinity of the bulls eye. After about 60 rounds I had gained about 50 FPS and the size of the groups had halved. I then switched over to the ammo I was intending to shoot for the LD course I was going to attend. I noticed right away that while my scope was still close, the groups opened back up but as I continued to shoot the groups closed back up after about 15 rounds. Different manufacture of bullets so somewhat of a different recipie with the copper jacket but as the bearing surface built to match the copper I was sending down, the groups got better all the way down to less than 1/4 inch at 100 yards.

To this day I have yet to clean the copper out of that rifle and with almost 1000 rounds down through it I am still getting the same result. 8541 Tactical (former Marine Sniper and current LEO sniper) did a video of this a couple of years ago switching between Hornady and GMM. You can see an immediate increase in the group size from the same rifle but after 10-15 rounds it goes back to the size of the group with the previous ammo. I did however take another barrel that I had been using shot a test group, stripped the copper out and started shooting groups again with it. Same result and once again after about a dozen rounds the group came right back to where it was before the stripping.

Now if you want to call this barrel “break in” what ever but it isnt. First there is very little chance that anything other than erosion is happening when you shoot quality ammo down a quality barrel. Clean any preservative from it, shoot it a few times and clean the powder fowling but leaving the copper bearing surface will make better groups and higher MVs.

• Like 1

What's the military break in?

It's too bad my big trip this year is to my 50th high school reunion. I'd love to be there. As fro teaching a class ..I'm not anymore talented than you guys I just paint my self in a good light.

My specialty is MATH and how to apply it to the gun. Plain and simple if the math is right and the aim is true, along with maybe twenty other things, it'll be a hit. Mild dots are one of my big things and how they are used to range targets or establish target sizes. Throw in a dose of trigonometry and you have most of my secrets.

My approach to shooting is also quite mental, in a good way BTW, in that prep of he brain really pays off. A bit of self esteem/ego that can be pulled up and not be bruised too badly when things don't go perfectly well. I sure didn't develop it but I've found that over time lots of things can be improved with the right set of thoughts. I learned it early on bowling for money. I don't always get solidly into the mind set as much as I should but it's in there.If you read the little vignette on my shooting the groups with the 6X6.8 the other day when the SWAT boys started to watch I can tell you I dug deep that day and buzzers get me into hyper-drive. It's there when you develop and have success with it over time.

This is a little clip that only takes a bit of substitution to apply to us. If I could teach you all one thing this would be it. It was a huge changeling teaching my classes for M/o's, snipers, over the years with younger guys with some experience but no real foundation in precision shooting. They rarely had the mind set when they got to class and other than the dry math I tried to get them to transcend to that level. Those testosterone charged young studs had to be gentled down to produce on demand and I like to think that they left with the wisdom and experience of the Gene Wilder looking guy who was just a nurse.

Just some thoughts that are a tad of topic. Now if you'll excuse me I have 300 cases that need filling.

Greg

I paint with a crayon outside the lines.

My approach is also mental but in the mentally handicapped way.

But any who, I can read a book from front to back and recite the contents verbatim, wont really understand it until I can use it in real life application or go hands on. So I bumblefuck my way through it.

Yep. Hands on does wonders in generating Ah Ha moments. Contextual application is a heck of a learning tool. It's like drop tables are just math and many guys I taught just couldn't wrap their heads around MOA drops and turret adjustments until I got down on my belly and showed them. Five for five on an 8" plate at 650 with their rifle and their dope made a very convincing demonstration of application of theory.

Greg

Well I believe I'll stick with what's worked best for ME ,as others agree with the principles ...

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/shooting_tips_rs_barrelbreak_200809/

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/break-rifle-barrel/

The first article is written by a guy who is trying to sell you his own special bullet that has some kind of grit on it to

get all the "tool marks" out of your barrel.

He's trying to sell you something, brother.