AR15Armory.com

Locking up your guns.

youngod

You will be ok since you raised your kids the right way. The best thing to do is maintain a dialogue with the kids. That way you know if they are having problems. I grew up in a house with no gun safes. Wild Horses could not have dragged me to the unlocked gun cabinet unless there was an emergency. Seems he was rejected and publicly humiliated by the shooter. She was in the class where he went. One thing I would do is monitor my kid's public media postings online.

This is HUGE.

I think many parents feel like they have no reason to go through their kids stuff, including their on line stuff.

Parents have to figure out they were not given that child to have a new friend, they have that child so they can shepherd into being a good adult.

What you said is huge, gshayd, because so many parents don't have the courage to snoop around their kids lives, and to understand what is really going on.

The flip side of the coin is that you have a dialogue with your kids and a REAL and LOVING parent-child relationship.

But parents have to do whatever they need to to be in the know, especially at that awkward time of puberty and beyond, when thinks can get so turned

upside down for the kid.

I once found a pic of something very nasty on one daughter's phone. We had several long talks over time about that sort of subject matter.

It was sent as a joke, a closeup of a certain part that people call a a name of someone they don't like, an AH. We discussed the site that the young man got that picture from,

and I even put a slice of a website up with the blackouts to show her were this guy was going.on line. I believe she learned a lot about picking boys/men and how nasty that online world is. She was honestly disgusted. You gotta check your kids.

Great point, my friend.

• Like 1

Ummm...dude, Gen Xr's are the parents of the snowflake millennial. No generalization at all, generationally speaking this is fact. Baby Boomers didn't raise them..Gen X'rs did. Does that mean I think Gen X parents couldn't have possibly raised anything other than a snowflake child? Hardly. I think you are the one who is actually doing the "generalizing."

Your statement is exactly what you accused mine of being, myopic. So in your reality because you didn't, no Gen X parent could have possibly raised "snowflakes."? Sorry bud, the vast majority of these leftist nutball snowflake millennial children were in fact raised by Gen X.

I am thrilled to hear your personal experiences and to know you as a parent broke from the majority failings of our generation. That does not negate the statistical fact that our generation is in fact responsible for the menace of the millennial snowflake.

Children that are raised by parents like yourself can certainly be taught right and wrong, responsibility and accountability at a very early age. That negates the need to bury our guns behind 20 layers of security to prevent the next Sandy Hook. That being said, our firearms, for any other reason than to prevent them from being stolen in a burglary, most certainly should be secured.

Then say what you mean. "My generation is to blame..." is an inclusive statement. "Some of my generation may is to blame..." is an exclusive statement. FACT: Some members of the law enforcement community believe that no one, except for military or law enforcement should have access to an AR-15 rifle. This is an exclusive fact because it excludes other members of the LE community. I think some people here would object to an inclusive statement like "The law enforcement community believes that no one, except for military or law enforcement should have access to an AR-15 rifle" because this implies ALL LEO harbor that belief.

Here is the bottom line, IMO.

We as human beings can not predict with certainty which person is going nuts and when.

The obvious and quickest way to save lives is for our schools to no longer be soft targets.

Job 2 is to stop filling up our young people on 2,3,4, different psychotropic meds. Often these are prescribed by a GP !

We give them antidepressants when an hour of exercise a day would actually help their depression better with no side effects.

(Too hard for the parents to supervise, apparently) Take a pill.

So many off these kids are actually on illicit drugs (including other kid's prescriptions) but won't tell doc or Mom and Dad

because they will be in big trouble. So we give them more meds to party with. Smoking this extra strong weed is a factor on young brains.

Many little boys have trouble sitting still in their school seats. They are little boys. The teacher does not want to deal with it so the next thing you know the kid is getting a referral to a psychologist and put on ADHD meds. If I had a buck for every kid that was on ADHD and other psych medicines that is now hooked on dope and in the criminal justice system, I could retire. Then these normal little boys are stigmatized for the rest of their school time, and are more likely to be pumped with more drugs whenever there is a problem. The parents are not paying attention, They either don't want to be bothered, or they think docs are a god.

I'm not insulting anyone's kid who actually needs meds. But the pills are an easy fix, and insurance does not want to pay for Cognitive Behavior Mod, it takes longer and costs more. IMHO, many times there is nothing wrong with the kid except lack of parental love and discipline.

One of the first things we should look at is to stop tampering with kids brain chemicals with psychotropics and ADHD meds as the first choice of TX.

Let's face it, these shootings are a symptom of a sick society. We are going to have to dig very deep and face a lot of uncomfortable truths as to why our society is sick.

What it will take to fix it is going to be very difficult and take a long time.

In the meantime, protect our children in our schools.

Edited by Retcop
  • Like 3

This is HUGE.

I think many parents feel like they have no reason to go through their kids stuff, including their on line stuff.

Parents have to figure out they were not given that child to have a new friend, they have that child so they can shepherd into being a good adult.

What you said is huge, gshayd, because so many parents don't have the courage to snoop around their kids lives, and to understand what is really going on.

The flip side of the coin is that you have a dialogue with your kids and a REAL and LOVING parent-child relationship.

But parents have to do whatever they need to to be in the know, especially at that awkward time of puberty and beyond, when thinks can get so turned

upside down for the kid.

I once found a pic of something very nasty on one daughter's phone. We had several long talks over time about that sort of subject matter.

It was sent as a joke, a closeup of a certain part that people call a a name of someone they don't like, an AH. We discussed the site that the young man got that picture from,

and I even put a slice of a website up with the blackouts to show her were this guy was going.on line. I believe she learned a lot about picking boys/men and how nasty that online world is. She was honestly disgusted. You gotta check your kids.

Great point, my friend.

Parenting is the key here I think. I cannot say this with certainty as I do not have children.

However observations lead me to this conclusion.

Among all the assaults to our society one of the biggest travesties is mothers no longer raising their children. Now before anyone gets all medieval on me I am not suggesting women need to be "barefoot and pregnant". The sad truth is we now have such a decline in purchasing power that in many cases both parents need to work. I cannot tell you how many women I know or have heard in commentary on talk shows and podcasts that would love to be able to be a stay home mom.

When I was a child in the 60's and 70's my mother stayed home until both my brother and I were old enough to care for ourselves part of the day. We were not allowed to run rampant. We did not run rampant.

My father worked his butt off to take care of us. He was an Owner-Operator trucker. We had a modest home and were never hungry. I know some times were tight but we made it. Even when mom was a homemaker. (when did homemaker become a bad word?)

Anyhow, enough from me. The above is not *the* problem but it's one more brick in the wall of disfunction and social decay we've been slowing building in the last 40 or 50 years.

Here is the bottom line, IMO.

We as human beings can not predict with certainty which person is going nuts and when.

The obvious and quickest way to save lives is for our schools to no longer be soft targets.

Job 2 is to stop filling up our young people on 2,3,4, different psychotropic meds. Often these are prescribed by a GP !

We give them antidepressants when an hour of exercise a day would actually help their depression better with no side effects.

(Too hard for the parents to supervise, apparently) Take a pill.

So many off these kids are actually on illicit drugs (including other kid's prescriptions) but won't tell doc or Mom and Dad

because they will be in big trouble. So we give them more meds to party with. Smoking this extra strong weed is a factor on young brains.

Many little boys have trouble sitting still in their school seats. They are little boys. The teacher does not want to deal with it so the next thing you know the kid is getting a referral to a psychologist and put on ADHD meds. If I had a buck for every kid that was on ADHD and other psych medicines that is now hooked on dope and in the criminal justice system, I could retire.

I'm not insulting anyone's kid who actually needs meds. But the pills are an easy fix, and insurance does not want to pay for Cognitive Behavior Mod, it takes longer and costs more. IMHO, many times there is nothing wrong with the kid except lack of parental love and discipline.

One of the first things we should look at is to stop tampering with kids brain chemicals with psychotropics and ADHD meds as the first choice of TX.

Let's face it, these shootings are a symptom of a sick society. We are going to have to dig very deep and face a lot of uncomfortable truths as to why our society is sick.

What it will take to fix it is going to be very difficult and take a long time.

In the meantime, protect our children in our schools.

Spot on brother! Just like the comedian Sinbad said! "My dad cured me of my ADD with no drugs... so I could exist in society."

Dang, it won't post to the correct time. Jump to 40m53s.

Edited by kneedraggin636

Parenting is the key here I think. I cannot say this with certainty as I do not have children.

However observations lead me to this conclusion.

Among all the assaults to our society one of the biggest travesties is mothers no longer raising their children. Now before anyone gets all medieval on me I am not suggesting women need to be "barefoot and pregnant". The sad truth is we now have such a decline in purchasing power that in many cases both parents need to work. I cannot tell you how many women I know or have heard in commentary on talk shows and podcasts that would love to be able to be a stay home mom.

When I was a child in the 60's and 70's my mother stayed home until both my brother and I were old enough to care for ourselves part of the day. We were not allowed to run rampant. We did not run rampant.

My father worked his butt off to take care of us. He was an Owner-Operator trucker. We had a modest home and were never hungry. I know some times were tight but we made it. Even when mom was a homemaker. (when did homemaker become a bad word?)

Anyhow, enough from me. The above is not *the* problem but it's one more brick in the wall of disfunction and social decay we've been slowing building in the last 40 or 50 years.

FW,

Both sets of my "good for nothing" Gen X kids are both college educated homemakers.

Home all day. It can be done. It is being done.

And my grand kids are the furthest thing from "snowflakes" you can imagine.

IMHO, many parents could do just fine on one income, at least until the kids get into full time school.

At that point Momma can get a part time job, that still allows her time and energy to be a homemaker.

Most people who say it can't be done have never crunched the numbers, or want the fancy house and all the best toys,

instead of having Mom (or Dad) at home for their kids. It does often take some sacrifice in lifestyle, but everyone has to have their

own priorities. My wife and I did it, and my kids are doing it even better with their kids. So saying it can't be done is just not correct,

or second income must be had is just not correct. It's all about priorities.

Edited by Retcop

No!

More gun control isn't the answer and neither is pushing a religious agenda. A belief is subjective and should not be mandated under any circumstances, religion has zero place in public school other than an academic study of theology in Social Studies. I had no "God or godliness" in my education, I don't believe in God, don't go to church, don't want to go to church, think the bible is pure fiction...yet...I've never committed a crime other than a traffic infraction, never been arrested, I'm not violent, I pay my taxes, I vote Conservative, believe in the COTUS, think America and Americans should come first for our citizens and I make more money as a responsible citizen than 80% of the population...It vexes me that some of you think God is the answer to everything...It, he, she or whatever you call God isn't.

So how exactly did that happen? GOOD PARENTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That IS the answer. If that includes a religious upbringing or not then fantastic but God, belief in or religion does not guarantee morality. In fact, there is a hell of lot of historical fact that states the contrary.

Children need to be taught accountability, responsibility and a firm sense of right and wrong. Religion can be an avenue for some but it's far from the only one.

No!

More gun control isn't the answer and neither is pushing a religious agenda. A belief is subjective and should not be mandated under any circumstances, religion has zero place in public school other than an academic study of theology in Social Studies. I had no "God or godliness" in my education, I don't believe in God, don't go to church, don't want to go to church, think the bible is pure fiction...yet...I've never committed a crime other than a traffic infraction, never been arrested, I'm not violent, I pay my taxes, I vote Conservative, believe in the COTUS, think America and Americans should come first for our citizens and I make more money as a responsible citizen than 80% of the population...It vexes me that some of you think God is the answer to everything...It, he, she or whatever you call God isn't.

So how exactly did that happen? GOOD PARENTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That IS the answer. If that includes a religious upbringing or not then fantastic but God, belief in or religion does not guarantee morality. In fact, there is a hell of lot of historical fact that states the contrary.

Children need to be taught accountability, responsibility and a firm sense of right and wrong. Religion can be an avenue for some but it's far from the only one.

oops

Although I have my own beliefs(and thats what they are) you are spot on. its parenting...

One thing is certain in the current political climate. If a child has access to firearms and makes a foolish decision that causes death or injury the parents will likely be sued into oblivion. Make no mistake about the litigious society in which we live.

Someone has finally been (almost) able to render me speechless.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the mind of a Liberal !

Only their Freedom is allowed.

:facepalm: :nono:

So when the majority of this country is Muslim, and those folks use their voting mass to pass laws to impose their will on Christians like they currently do in places like Egypt; you will be OK with that and support it because that is religion. Pay your jizya tax and hope they don't kill you for daring to believe different than they do.

The First Amendment is intended to (among other things) protect us ALL from the state imposing ANY mandatory religious practices. The right to pray, and the right NOT to pray. The right to practice your religion right up until you impose your religion or lack of it on others. If you want to bring your God into school, then you open the door for EVERY God to come in along with them. Christianity alongside Islam, Buddhism, Scientology and Satanism would all get their prayer day of the week.

If you want Christianity in schools, but not any of these other religions, please close the shutters on your glass house before casting more stones.

So when the majority of this country is Muslim, and those folks use their voting mass to pass laws to impose their will on Christians like they currently do in places like Egypt; you will be OK with that and support it because that is religion. Pay your jizya tax and hope they don't kill you for daring to believe different than they do.

The First Amendment is intended to (among other things) protect us ALL from the state imposing ANY mandatory religious practices. The right to pray, and the right NOT to pray. The right to practice your religion right up until you impose your religion or lack of it on others. If you want to bring your God into school, then you open the door for EVERY God to come in along with them. Christianity alongside Islam, Buddhism, Scientology and Satanism would all get their prayer day of the week.

If you want Christianity in schools, but not any of these other religions, please close the shutters on your glass house before casting more stones.

There is a huge difference between mandating that Christianity be taught in schools, and suspending some kid reading a bible during a break and

getting sent home, or kids not being able to form an after school Bible Study Club, or the kids on a sports team who WANT to say a prayer before the big game.

So the Che Guevara or the Planned Parenthood T-shirt is OK at school but the T-shirt with the bible verse is not ?

No one is being forced to participate. I did not realize the free exercise of religion did not apply to young people, or that your personal Faith had to be

left at the schoolhouse door. What's next? Forbidding teachers and students from wearing a Cross around their necks if they want to ?

No glass house here brother, I am a sinner.

Edit: I have never advocated State mandated anything regarding religion.

Where would you get that idea, my friend?

Edited by Retcop

One thing is certain in the current political climate. If a child has access to firearms and makes a foolish decision that causes death or injury the parents will likely be sued into oblivion. Make no mistake about the litigious society in which we live.

One thing is certain in the current climate of this forum. If someone continues to beat a horse when they've been told multiple times that their opinion was heard, and disagreed with, eventually that someone will be called a troll. Make no mistake about the forum we share, they've put up with about as much as they're going to from you.

What do they do, go door to door to check your home ?

Did the gun safe makers push for that law ? One safe for every room ?

Looks like everyone is going to have to buy at lease one to protect against that God Forbid moment.

I lock up stuff before I leave the house. That's why I bought that good safe, to protect my things from fire and theft.

But while somebody is home? That's insane.

"Yes, Officer, I heard something at the door and retrieved my ___________ from my State certified gun safe."

I presume you guys have jury trials ?

What's next, requiring you pay for security cameras and a recorder in the home to make sure you are following that stupid law?*

*Not that I would ever advocate not following the law...

actually, they can just knock on your door for inspection. no joke.

firearms are not for defensive roles in canada. in fact, there are many stories of people defending their lives and or property with a firearm, only to be put through the courts. even if the defense is successful, the defendant is usually so broke from the proceedings, they're done financially speaking.

a few years back there was a man from outside Hamilton, Ontario. he woke in the middle of the night to some idiots throwing molotov cocktails at his house. he grabbed his only defense, a pistol, and went outside to engage. he fired 2 warning shots in the air to scare the pos's off. guess who spent the next 5 years defending himself. that is just one story, there are many many others.

Edited by j-dub

Canada's love affair with gun control has never made sense to me,

as it was another very wild and rugged country that was settled by some very tough and independent people.

Including the Native Peoples, of course.