MontanaLon

Gifted a 28 ft camper trailer today

My father in law got it free from a neighbor of his. It had a leaky roof so the inside had to be gutted and everything replaced.

Now illl need to buy something to tow it with.

Surprisingly everything in it works. A/C and fridge/freezer work great.

It would be cool to take the family out west on a vacation and not have to motels every night.

• Like 1

Are campers like boats?

The happiest two days in an owner's life are the day he bought it and the day he got rid of it? :segrin:

28 foot os a pretty good size. Make sure you sure self leveling lapping sealant on the roof, ask me how I know. They can be a lot of fun but they can be frustrating at time too. I have enjoyed my and the only plans I have to getting rid of it is when my youngest graduates and we no longer take her with us on the trips. Then it will be a bigger one that me and momma can have more space to relax in.

Roof and window maintenance is key. Mine gets it twice a year, spring and fall. Any cracked caulking gets covered up after a good cleaning with a brush and some soap. I let it dry a day then hit it with sealer. Any thick sealer gets removed and a new layer added. Screw heads are caulked as well. Windows get checked for soft putty and the top edges get a fresh coat of sealant. Any hard putty in them and the window gets pulled and new window putty is placed between window and siding.

My buddy bought a used toy hauler that had an old leak in the front corner. When it started leaking again after he hit a tree limb he decided to fix it right....that led to the entire roof coming off and the whole front of the trailer being rebuilt as it was all rotten......then the back door did not look right and it almost fell off once the roof was removed. He had to re-do the back as well. He did all the work himself except for the roof. The roof cost him $4500. He is into the trailer so much now he will never use it enough to get his money out of it. He wanted to scrap it from the start but he just paid $9000 for it the year before.

Life is too short for the headaches a crappy trailer will bring you. If the free camper works just maintain it an use the crap out of it. When it gets to much trouble sell it to the first person that shows interest and never look back.

My father in law got it free from a neighbor of his. It had a leaky roof so the inside had to be gutted and everything replaced.

Now illl need to buy something to tow it with.

Surprisingly everything in it works. A/C and fridge/freezer work great.

It would be cool to take the family out west on a vacation and not have to motels every night.

so it is refurbished when you got it.

Are campers like boats?

The happiest two days in an owner's life are the day he bought it and the day he got rid of it? :segrin:

Boat: Hole in the water you throw money into.

Do hope you enjoy the camper.

so it is refurbished when you got it.

Yes, FIL refurbed it and was nearly finished when he got an RV for free. The RV was in bad shape too but the mechanical portions were 100% working. I think someone let their cats live in it though.