Shadow106

Lets talk a little "10mm" today!

I see that this site isn't real active, which surprises me a little 'cause the 10mm is becoming very popular in the circles I hang with up here in Boise. People carrying them for hunting or back packing in our area. I had a chance last year to pick up a 10mm Tanfoglio all steel pistol at a very good price, just to see if I liked the caliber before committing to a more expensive model. Or not.

Well, I'm quite pleased with the results, and with the pistol actually, which I wasn't sure about. Its accurate, relatively easy to handle, and I've never had a pistol that throws brass that far away. LOL! Like, in the next county?

But I'm a 1911 person and I'm kinda out there, wondering which 1911 10mm would be best for regular use. I obviously have gear that will accommodate the 1911 platform, but there are some basics I'm not sure about. Hope you can help?

First of all, what is with this shooting .40 in a 10mm barreled pistol? Is it safe? What will that do to my pistol? 55 years of hand gunning has taught me about multiple calibers in wheel guns, but in a Pistol?

Do most 1911 10mm pistols interchange parts with .45 1911's? Not the barrels, bushing, etc, but the pins, internals, guide rods, etc.?

I'm looking at the SR1911 model after some really good reviews, and I've owned four different models of this gun in .45acp since they first came out. While my normal 1911 carry is a steel Colt Commander, the Delta is also in view, but Colt is doing some strange things lately, so I'm not sure I'd want a new model.

I realize that I've asked a lot, but I hope I get some good intel from people with first hand experience with the 10mm round. Thanks in advance for your help.

J.

I love my Kimber Stainless II Target 10mm. Looks just like a 1911, because it is. I also have a blue Delta Elite which is a pretty cool 10mm.

I'm not sure how anyone is shooting 40 in a 10mm barreled pistol as the head space is different. I had a S+W revolver chambered for both 40 and 10mm but it used moon clips for both rounds and had no place to headspace off the mouth of either. My gun failed and was pulled off the market and I sold mine back to the dealer. I liked the 10mm and it shot incredibly accurate. It was a short barrel thing and it had way less punch than a 10mm should have. My 357 magnums hit twice as hard as that short 10mm revolver did.

The 1911 platform seems natural for the 10mm. I never looked back into the round as I tend to like revolvers and my 357's fit that bill much better. I am glad it is becoming popular again and it's nice to see the guns chambered in it today.

But I'm a 1911 person and I'm kinda out there, wondering which 1911 10mm would be best for regular use. I obviously have gear that will accommodate the 1911 platform, but there are some basics I'm not sure about. Hope you can help?

First of all, what is with this shooting .40 in a 10mm barreled pistol? Is it safe? What will that do to my pistol? 55 years of hand gunning has taught me about multiple calibers in wheel guns, but in a Pistol?

Do most 1911 10mm pistols interchange parts with .45 1911's? Not the barrels, bushing, etc, but the pins, internals, guide rods, etc.?

I'm looking at the SR1911 model after some really good reviews, and I've owned four different models of this gun in .45acp since they first came out. While my normal 1911 carry is a steel Colt Commander, the Delta is also in view, but Colt is doing some strange things lately, so I'm not sure I'd want a new model.

I realize that I've asked a lot, but I hope I get some good intel from people with first hand experience with the 10mm round. Thanks in advance for your help.

J.

.40 in a 10mm barrel can work because in some guns the extractor holds the case tight enough that the firing pin can hit the primer hard enough to go off. Problem is it is only most or even some of the time. So it may not go bang when you need it to. I would keep it as a last ditch apocalypse and you can't find 10mm anywhere but .40 is all over the place. Then use the 40 in the 10 to kill someone with a .40 and take their gun. No one will say it is safe who has any sort of brain because rule #1 is only use the ammo the gun is marked for.

As for the parts that are interchangeable between the 45 and 10mm, it is easier to list the parts that are not and then assume that the rest might. Barrel, slide and recoil spring are caliber specific. The frame may or may not work. Most of the 10mm barrels are ramped and most of the 45 barrels are not. If they have the same ramp setup though they should work. The rest of the parts may work in either one but would need to be tested.

For the money, the Rock Island guns are solidly built. The Ruger is nice also but a bit higher priced.

The 1911 based 10's should be mostly the same as a 45 1911. Other than the specifics for the caliber.

Also, I cannot see how you would shoot 40 in that. The cases headspace off the mouth. S&W, shorter and weaker than 10! :segrin:

I have a Glock 40 MOS in 10mm and a Rock Island Ultra MS 1911 in 10mm. Like them both. I changed out the OEM stock sights on the Glock for Silencer sight heights from Trijicon.

gallery_24285_275_379734.jpg

https://us.glock.com/g40mos

gallery_24285_275_249127.jpg

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-ms-10mm/

Here is an interesting article about shooting 40 S&W in a 10mm Glock. Please take the disclaimers as being serious. This might work in a Glock 10mm but it might not work in other brands of 10mm.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/

Edited by gshayd

Thanks for the good replies gang. Always good to know you are all out there to help.

J.

Thanks for the good replies gang. Always good to know you are all out there to help.

J.

Good to see you back here. I sold off all my 10mm leftovers to Intercooler. Good to see he is still into them.

I have three 10mm's, a Glock 40 MOS, Sig tacops 1911, and a kimber eclipse custom II, and I love them all. My favorite to shoot is the Glock 40 though, and I have shot some .40 Swishers & Welfare down it and it worked fine. Not something I would do regularly, but it can be done.

You are right that 10mm is getting popular in Boise Shadow, a little over a month ago I was in 5 guys and found a loaded underwood 10mm round on the floor under our table, which was a nice find.

My 10mm's -

cDabq00.jpg

4525238718_aae92bd9e8_z.jpg

Some nice looking 10mms in here fellas!

Well, I did some experimenting and some research, and ended up trading the Tanfoglio for a Springfield Micro Compact .45, which is now at my gunsmith because it put almost every round ejected in my face. Another story for another time. LOL

Then I went out and figured out a way to fire a Delta and an SR1911 10mm. For the money, and due to great experience with four previous SR's in .45, I ended up with the SR1911. The Delta is excellent, but not at $250 more than the SR. I carry a Colt Commander as my EDC as a rule, so the platform feels much better than the Tanfoglio. And I like the overall cosmetic presentation of the pistol. Looks good and shoots better than I do, outta the box. When my gunsmith bud does the action, just like he did on my Colt, it will be a dream, no doubt. He is a wizard.

I'll still carry my .45, and it will still be on the bedstead 'cause I don't want to shoot my neighbor's poodle two doors down the street (Not true!) if I have an intruder. But I'm looking forward to the 10mm now that I'm older and wiser (senile?). I hope it will fill the gap left from the two Bren's I ordered and never received years ago, and the Delta that I owned for three weeks and never got to shoot back in the early 90's. Same gap left by a real cutie that I met in college, but I can't tell ya that one.

Thanks for your thoughts. You're a damned valuable asset in the gun stuff!

Jerry

Well, I did some experimenting and some research, and ended up trading the Tanfoglio for a Springfield Micro Compact .45, which is now at my gunsmith because it put almost every round ejected in my face. Another story for another time. LOL

Then I went out and figured out a way to fire a Delta and an SR1911 10mm. For the money, and due to great experience with four previous SR's in .45, I ended up with the SR1911. The Delta is excellent, but not at $250 more than the SR. I carry a Colt Commander as my EDC as a rule, so the platform feels much better than the Tanfoglio. And I like the overall cosmetic presentation of the pistol. Looks good and shoots better than I do, outta the box. When my gunsmith bud does the action, just like he did on my Colt, it will be a dream, no doubt. He is a wizard.

I'll still carry my .45, and it will still be on the bedstead 'cause I don't want to shoot my neighbor's poodle two doors down the street (Not true!) if I have an intruder. But I'm looking forward to the 10mm now that I'm older and wiser (senile?). I hope it will fill the gap left from the two Bren's I ordered and never received years ago, and the Delta that I owned for three weeks and never got to shoot back in the early 90's. Same gap left by a real cutie that I met in college, but I can't tell ya that one.

Thanks for your thoughts. You're a damned valuable asset in the gun stuff!

Jerry

I have never seen or held a Tanfoglio pistol. I have read about all the issues with the slides on some older one's. Their advertising always put me off....I'm not sure what market they are after but every add in the gun rags was just weird to me.

Good luck with getting the brass to land where it's not an issue. I just with i could train my semi autos to toss the brass into a bucket so I don't have to go find it all.

I have never seen or held a Tanfoglio pistol. I have read about all the issues with the slides on some older one's. Their advertising always put me off....I'm not sure what market they are after but every add in the gun rags was just weird to me.

Good luck with getting the brass to land where it's not an issue. I just with i could train my semi autos to toss the brass into a bucket so I don't have to go find it all.

The ejector and or extractor should be able to be tuned to eliminate that.

I managed to solve the ejection situation by selling the Tanfoglio to a CZ fan, and picking up an SR1911 in 10mm. Had my gunsmith angel do an action job to bring it up to level with my Colt Commander and it is really amazingly smooth. Even my GS remarked that it is very accurate and he is a hardcore 1911 fan who shoots extremely well. I am pleased with my new toy.

I managed to solve the ejection situation by selling the Tanfoglio to a CZ fan, and picking up an SR1911 in 10mm. Had my gunsmith angel do an action job to bring it up to level with my Colt Commander and it is really amazingly smooth. Even my GS remarked that it is very accurate and he is a hardcore 1911 fan who shoots extremely well. I am pleased with my new toy.

Well that's one way to solve the ejection problem! :laugh:

The 1911 based 10's should be mostly the same as a 45 1911. Other than the specifics for the caliber.

Also, I cannot see how you would shoot 40 in that. The cases headspace off the mouth. S&W, shorter and weaker than 10! :segrin:

THIS.

Both rounds headspace of of the edge of the case mouth.

I understand what Lon is saying about the extractor possibly holding the .40 round tight enough,

but this here scaredy cat would not do it unless it was an absolute emergency.

And killing someone for their .40 when you are out of 10mm ammo, I would have to consider that a pretty sporty situation. :segrin:

I also agree with ML regarding not counting on any significant parts interchangeability with a 45.ACP 1911.

I would cross that off my list as a reason to get the 10mm in a 1911 style gun, but it still sounds like your

like the 1911 the best in any event. I would have to research it to be sure, but I would think that the operating pressures are so different, even

pin sizes might be larger on the 10mm.

You just need to get a parts list with dimensions and go over it. I would not get my hopes up.

It would be cool if you end up doing the research on the swap-able parts to let us know what you find. .

I have three 10mm's, a Glock 40 MOS, Sig tacops 1911, and a kimber eclipse custom II, and I love them all. My favorite to shoot is the Glock 40 though, and I have shot some .40 Swishers & Welfare down it and it worked fine. Not something I would do regularly, but it can be done.

You are right that 10mm is getting popular in Boise Shadow, a little over a month ago I was in 5 guys and found a loaded underwood 10mm round on the floor under our table, which was a nice find.

My 10mm's -

4525238718_aae92bd9e8_z.jpg

That Kimber is gorgeous !

Is the SIG ammo at 1250 fps for the 10mm 180 grain about standard for 10mm HP defensive ammo ?

I understand you can get them loaded a lot hotter, but is that about what the big players are loading their SD ammo to ?

I have never figured that out either.

Some of those ads would be more appropriate for High Times than a gun mag. :laugh:

I have never figured that out either.

Some of those ads would be more appropriate for High Times than a gun mag. :laugh:

They seem to target the gamer crowd...but the geeky gamer crowd.

I'm just loving how every gun magazine I pick up now seems to have new model 10mm reviews, or articles about 10mm pistols lately.

Wonder what changed?

I'm just loving how every gun magazine I pick up now seems to have new model 10mm reviews, or articles about 10mm pistols lately.

Wonder what changed?

Things cycle in the gun world.