Sign in to follow this  
youngod

Did I fall asleep and miss something? Colion Noir

I like this guy! I think he is a great spokesman for the NRA and guns in general. I like the video. I like the gun! But, did I fall asleep and miss something. Is it now legal to shoulder a pistol? IF NOT, as a spokesperson, he really shouldn't be doing it. If I remember correctly it was bunch of idiots posting and bragging about shouldering a pistol stock which started the problem years ago.

Wake me up if Im wrong, but I sure don't remember the laws changing.

The ATF said it was ok to shoulder it last year.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/04/foghorn/atf-its-legal-to-shoulder-an-ar-15-pistol-equipped-with-an-sb-tactical-arm-brace/

Sooo...yep, I guess it happened while you were napping. :laugh:

Edited by Srgt. Hulka
  • Like 3

Wow! I did miss it. Sorry.

I guess I will be buying some more braces

Then can I ask, what is the point of the SBR tax?

• Like 1

The problem was more so due to hordes of people sending letters to the ATF asking if it was "okay" to shoulder a brace, not some Youtube videos.

If you build a pistol using a brace with the sole "intent" of shouldering it, then it is an SBR according to the ATF. But, if you just so happen to find it ends up being shouldered here and there, it's still a pistol. Then, of course, if you use a stock it's an SBR. Don't gun laws make perfect sense?

• Like 1

I think there is still some ambiguity to it.

That right there.

The ATF said it was ok to shoulder it last year.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/04/foghorn/atf-its-legal-to-shoulder-an-ar-15-pistol-equipped-with-an-sb-tactical-arm-brace/

Sooo...yep, I guess it happened while you were napping. :laugh:

The issue is not so much shouldering as it is configuring it for shoulder-firing only. The ATF made a disclaimer about this in the memo they issued in March 2017. This means that extended tubes and/or affixing the brace so that it is at an extended length to accommodate shoulder-firing only is to be construed as the intent to create a SBR. They also said that shoulder firing is fine on occasion as the brace is not intended for shoulder firing, but for use as a forearm support/brace.

I make sure I use a pistol tube without any slots on it for adjusting length. I also put the stock on enough so that it is a shorter length of pull. The stock is exactly the way it came from the factory. I think that meets the criteria for it being legal under the ATF rules. I sold my braces I had just to eliminate anything I would have to worry about being in conflict since I was a government employee and needed to keep a security clearance to keep my job. I am retired now.

I was under the impression that the brace had to be fixed....

I think there is still some ambiguity to it.

They are biding their time and sometime early next year they will announce that the braces must be permanently attached.

A year after that, they will announce the weapons are contraband and must be surrendered. :segrin:

I was under the impression that the brace had to be fixed....

Most Pistol Brace buffer tubes are smooth so it is not adjustable like a carbine stock that can readily be adjusted. My brace is so tight on the smooth buffer tube there is no adjustment. The KAK shockwave has Allen screw to tighten down on the pistol tube. If you have an excessive amount of pistol buffer tube showing and a long length of tube showing a case might be made that you intended to shoulder it?

Edited by gshayd
  • Like 1