meh77gmc

BHW 224 Valkyrie barrel?

I'm entertaining thoughts on building an upper in 224 Valkyrie using a BHW tube (because I love my .223 barrel from them) and I dont know what would be the optimal barrel length to get.

The purpose would be sending heavy pills to the 1k berm. Would the 22 inch tube do it, or would the extra 2" be worth getting the 24 inch barrel?

Right now, I'm just in the researching phase, and I don't know the burn rates, ballistics, etc... of the 224 Valk round.

Thanks,

Mike

They have closed their doors and are relocating. I wouldn't expect any new products from them for at least 5-6 months.

Never give up velocity for long range. 24" would be my choice. If it runs in the 22 Nosler or 22X6.8 it will run in the VALK. 22 PPC data can also be used for powder choices.

There are some other manufacturers that I have used if the itch is too strong to wait until next year.

Greg

If you want the most out of the .224 Valkyrie, go 24"

The 22" should be good for 1000 yard berm.

It appears there have been some reamers sent out for the .224 Valkyrie that were not made to spec.

It would not be a bad idea to call Columbia River Arms (BHW) to make sure they have good reamers.

Thanks,

Glenn

There is no hurry with the way my finances are at the moment. Waiting until next year is not a problem.

If I had the choice, I'd go 24" to squeeze as much velocity out of it as possible. You're losing a certain amount just due to it being a gas gun.

I still haven't had the chance to take my 24" .223 out to 600yards, like I built it to do. I guess I should do that before I put together another upper.

I have a 24" .223 I need to take out to the range and wring out.

It's aterrible illnesses we have when we buy stuff to try and haven't even tried out what we have.

Greg 9

It's aterrible illnesses we have when we buy stuff to try and haven't even tried out what we have.

Greg 9

That is the absolute truth right there Greg. :laugh:

They have closed their doors and are relocating. I wouldn't expect any new products from them for at least 5-6 months.

Never give up velocity for long range. 24" would be my choice. If it runs in the 22 Nosler or 22X6.8 it will run in the VALK. 22 PPC data can also be used for powder choices.

There are some other manufacturers that I have used if the itch is too strong to wait until next year.

Greg

Did True Sporting Arms close as well for the move? and how many people can wait till next year ? :screwloose:

Dan

I wouldn't think they were shipping would be my guess but I'm not certain.

Very few will wait that long.

Greg

White Oak has barrels. They sell out extremely fast though.

White Oak has barrels. They sell out extremely fast though.

They make good stuff but I'm hooked on companies that make my barrels to order rather than having to take what few offerings they have at others.

Greg

They make good stuff but I'm hooked on companies that make my barrels to order rather than having to take what few offerings they have at others.

Greg

They make some of their own and also have some high dollar ones made from Shilen blanks.

They make some of their own and also have some high dollar ones made from Shilen blanks.

Yep and they shoot. They were very limited in their chamberings for a long time.

Greg