MontanaLon

Remains discovered at Manassas Battlefield Park to be interred in Arlington

https://wtop.com/prince-william-county/2018/06/remains-of-civil-war-soldiers-and-field-hospital-found-at-virginia-battlefield/

In 2014 crews doing utility work uncovered bone fragments in the park. Subsequent testing determined them to be human in origin. Based on the identification as human the are was excavated and 2 nearly complete skeletons and 11 limb bones were discovered. Testing of the bones determined that the 2 nearly complete skeletons were likely died of wounds suffered in 1862 battle at the site of a field hospital. They were likely Union Army soldiers but identification is unlikely as records of deaths were frequently incomplete during battles particularly when the field was taken by opposing troops. Ironically, it is more likely that the limbs can be at least generally identified as surgeons typically kept better records of patients who lost limbs in surgery including names and the body part removed with a description of the procedure to remove the limb.

They will be interred later this year in the newest expansion of Arlington National Cemetery. The disposition of the limbs has not yet been determined.

:respect:

RIP soldiers.

Wow, 155 years later.

RIP soldiers.

https://wtop.com/prince-william-county/2018/06/remains-of-civil-war-soldiers-and-field-hospital-found-at-virginia-battlefield/

In 2014 crews doing utility work uncovered bone fragments in the park. Subsequent testing determined them to be human in origin. Based on the identification as human the are was excavated and 2 nearly complete skeletons and 11 limb bones were discovered. Testing of the bones determined that the 2 nearly complete skeletons were likely died of wounds suffered in 1862 battle at the site of a field hospital. They were likely Union Army soldiers but identification is unlikely as records of deaths were frequently incomplete during battles particularly when the field was taken by opposing troops. Ironically, it is more likely that the limbs can be at least generally identified as surgeons typically kept better records of patients who lost limbs in surgery including names and the body part removed with a description of the procedure to remove the limb.

They will be interred later this year in the newest expansion of Arlington National Cemetery. The disposition of the limbs has not yet been determined.

RIP soldiers.

I know I'll pay for this. But... They should send them back to the ARMy.

One of my ancestors from the Pennsylvania Militia was captured by the CSA and sent to Andersonville. He died there.

I am gratified that our government continues to treat the remains of our soldiers who died in battle with such respect. 

It should be no other way, and I pray that those brave men did not suffer long, and they are secure in the arms of the Lord. 

I must beg forgiveness though, but it ran through my mind that our government should show more respect for, and spend more 

treasure on our living Veterans who need and deserve the best care possible. Hopefully, this recovery of remains will have the same idea

run through the minds of our legislators, and the American people who can urge them on to treat our wounded or aging Veterans with the respect they deserve.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retcop said:

I am gratified that our government continues to treat the remains of our soldiers who died in battle with such respect. 

It should be no other way, and I pray that those brave men did not suffer long, and they are secure in the arms of the Lord. 

I must beg forgiveness though, but it ran through my mind that our government should show more respect for, and spend more 

treasure on our living Veterans who need and deserve the best care possible. Hopefully, this recovery of remains will have the same idea

run through the minds of our legislators, and the American people who can urge them on to treat our wounded or aging Veterans with the respect they deserve.

John

I agree 100% John.  It makes me wonder though, in today's climate, if they had turned out to be Confederate soldiers, how would they have been treated?  Remains thrown into a garbage bag, and quickly and quietly buried in the nearest no name cemetery?  

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 1:17 AM, shooter94 said:

One of my ancestors from the Pennsylvania Militia was captured by the CSA and sent to Andersonville. He died there.

There were four war criminals prosecuted after the Civil War, all were from the South, two were from the Andersonville Prison. Henry Wirz  the commander and James Duncan.

Duncan, who had been assigned to the quartermaster's office, was convicted of manslaughter for intentionally withholding food from the prisoners.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:42 AM, Retcop said:

John

This.  History, good bad or indifferent is what it is.  The people who died, our side or another wer fighting for a principal they believed in.  Honor them as soldiers regardless of their deeds.  Those who fight either have a cause they think worth suffering for or were forced via politics to take up arms or die.  Its all overwhelming. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, wish2no said:

This.  History, good bad or indifferent is what it is.  The people who died, our side or another were fighting for a principal they believed in.  Honor them as soldiers regardless of their deeds.  Those who fight either have a cause they think worth suffering for or were forced via politics to take up arms or die.  Its all overwhelming. 

Well said, some folks don't look at it that way but respect still should be shown.