NASCARon

Looking for a Cowitness Red Dot Sight

I just got an AR 15 and I'd like to add a decent, affordable red dot cowitness sight. Any ideas?

Welcome!

I moved your post here for better traffic. Someone will be along to help soon. Snoop around in the gear /accessory area while you wait and you may find some good info.

Check out Primary Arms brand along with Vortex. Both are more affordable and are great brands.

I just got an AR 15 and I'd like to add a decent, affordable red dot cowitness sight. Any ideas?

Most any of them will co-witness. You must decide whether you'd prefer "absolute" or 1/3. Then you will need to mount it (possible riser needed) accordingly.

Micro, not so micro, near -scope size?

2 MOA, 4 MOA, other?

Budget (including possible riser)?

QD style (quick disconnect)?

Dot only, dot with circle, etc?

Red or green dot, both?

Welcome to the forum.

Primary Arms, VORTEX, and HOLOSUN red-dots are affordable and work well. You just have to decide if you want a micro, a compact, or full-size 30mm red-dot as well as lower 1/3rd or absolute co-witnessing. In many cases, these red-dots will come with either a mount for absolute or lower 1/3rd co-witnessing. You have to check the specs. I would avoid using a riser at all cost. An appropriate mount is much better.

Here is a link at Primary Arms.

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dot-Sights

Have the Sparc AR myself. Fine optic. Gotta go see which AR it's on. :D:

It's on the Colt along with the VMX-3T. Vortex recommends not using the magnifier with the Sparc AR because "We do not recommend using the VMX-3T magnifier with the Sparc II or Sparc AR as the focal length of those optics is so short that it can induce parallax that will distort the dot."

I purchased it before they published that info however, fortunately, it has worked just fine or my eyes/brain are too stupid to realize the difference.

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot are legit! I’ve purchased three so far. They use Aimpoint T1/H1 mounts so there’s a ton of different mounting options. 50,000 hour battery life of a single CR2032 battery is insane. Not to mention the new ones that came out earlier this year have a lifetime warranty. I think they’re trying to step up to match the Vortex warranty. Check em out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot are legit! I’ve purchased three so far. They use Aimpoint T1/H1 mounts so there’s a ton of different mounting options. 50,000 hour battery life of a single CR2032 battery is insane. Not to mention the new ones that came out earlier this year have a lifetime warranty. I think they’re trying to step up to match the Vortex warranty. Check em out.

I will attest to the quality of the Primary Arms optics as well. I have owned the Micro, Classic 30mm, and the 1-4x24 scope. I also have a Holosun red-dot as well and I like it. They have several models available.

sxvW5hW.jpg

XdFIWyH.jpg

Choosing a red-dot will boil down to personal preference based on design, function, cost, battery life, and warranty.

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 1

I have one of the PA Micro-Dots, as well (not the advanced micro-dot). I initially used it with one of my AR-15s, then moved it to one my Mossbergs. IMO it's not Aimpoint quality, but it works. And so far, it's been able to handle the recoil of a 12-gauge shotgun.

Absolutely! I have the older models as well but they are tough sights! The first one I purchased is still on since the first day I bought it and that was two years ago. I’ve turned several of my buddies on to them. I get no incentives from PAs lol! 60ff60b3fb7da164aae81690d01293fc.jpgc4c19d8dc878acd4cdce6e14c0598de9.jpg

To be honest, there is one thing about the Micro-Dot that bugged me. The housing for the laser protrudes into the sight picture. I found that to be annoying. But that's a personal preference thing.

I hear ya. That’s definitely a draw back but the design of the red dots is for the emitter to project the dot forward. PAs, Vortex, Aimpoint etc., are all gonna have that same emitter issue. Some are more low profile than others but still noticeable. That’s been my experience anyways and I’m no expert.

The Aimpoint PRO doesn't have that issue. But then again, it costs 4x as much as the PA Micro-Dot.