Sign in to follow this  
bamashooter

This is My Last One / Mostly Completed

Pretty sure I'm gonna build me another pistol with a barrel length between 10-12". I was going to go with another Gibbz lefty side charger but I'm seriously considering going cheaper using a conventional upper. Hoping an ambi-style charging handle would allow me to easily charge the weapon while gripping weapon with left hand.

Question: Stag Arms has a left receiver for a decent enough price (100.00 / free shipping today only/Brownells). Not going to war with it. Any opinions regarding quality would be greatly appreciated. I have their lefty bcg in my Gibbz and so far, so good.

Thanks.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-5-56mm-left-hand-prod113495.aspx

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

Here's where I am:

Brownells (free shipping)

Stag Arms Lefty Upper (the dust cover flipping upward is bizarre / either remove (likely) or get lefty lower (nope))

Stag Arms Lefty BCG

Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block (Steel / .750")

Faxon Socom 10.5" Barrel

I'm good with the Matrix handguard one that gshayed put us on to a while back. Probably do it again. Very cost effective. Edit: Ordered.

All of this is going on my Colt lower (4473 form "other")

Looking at SBA3 brace. Sure wish they offered without tube (price). The brace itself will slide on to any mil-spec carbine tube (Colt). Just ordered from Primary Arms. Back order / should be available 3 July. On sale for 99.99 plus non-gouging shipping.

Possible Raptor LT Ambi - Charging Handle (low priority) I have a new conventional CH.

Later I'll probably go hard sights only and trigger upgrade. Two Colts and both triggers kinda suck imo. Of course I'm spoiled rotten with my aftermarket triggers. :D:

I have flash hiders, buffers, barrel nut shims, muzzle device crush washers, and shims.

Ordered my stuff from Brownells. Once again, now that I recall from months ago, they discounted some items at checkout. And free shipping. Been a long shopping day. Wiped out. Now I gotta go order the handguard and call it a day. This really is my last build.

Edited by bamashooter

This really is my last build.

:bellylaf: :ROFLLMAO: Sure it is.

• Like 1

I have a couple left guns. I put the lefty mag release on them too.

• Like 2

FWIW, I used one of these ambi CH on my last build, and it works just fine. Hard to beat for the $ if you order enough to get free shipping.

http://tacticalsolutionsgroupllc-com.3dcartstores.com/AR-15-DUAL-AMBIDEXTROUS-CHARGING-HANDLE-WITH-STEEL-LATCH-_p_429.html

• Like 1

Here's where I am:

Brownells (free shipping)

Stag Arms Lefty Upper (the dust cover flipping upward is bizarre / either remove (likely) or get lefty lower (nope))

Stag Arms Lefty BCG

Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block (Steel / .750")

Faxon Socom 10.5" Barrel

I'm good with the Matrix handguard one of ya'll put me on to a while back. Probably do it again. Very cost effective.

All of this is going on my Colt lower (4473 form "other")

Looking at SBA3 brace. Sure wish they offered without tube (price). The brace itself will slide on to any mil-spec carbine tube (Colt). Just ordered from Primary Arms. Back order / should be available 3 July. On sale for 99.99 plus non-gouging shipping.

Possible Raptor LT Ambi - Charging Handle (low priority) I have a new conventional CH.

Later I'll probably go hard sights only and trigger upgrade. Two Colts and both triggers kinda suck imo. Of course I'm spoiled rotten with my aftermarket triggers. :D:

I have flash hiders, buffers, barrel nut shims, muzzle device crush washers, and shims.

Ordered my stuff from Brownells. Once again, now that I recall from months ago, they discounted some items at checkout. And free shipping. Been a long shopping day. Wiped out. Now I gotta go order the handguard and call it a day. This really is my last build.

I have no idea who has the better price,

but Right to Bear Arms has Faxon barrels on sale.

The had pistol braces on sale too.

• Like 1

FWIW, I used one of these ambi CH on my last build, and it works just fine. Hard to beat for the $ if you order enough to get free shipping.

http://tacticalsolutionsgroupllc-com.3dcartstores.com/AR-15-DUAL-AMBIDEXTROUS-CHARGING-HANDLE-WITH-STEEL-LATCH-_p_429.html

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. My only issue with these ambis is one, some are bizarre looking and don't really have my trust based on their appearance and the normal looking ones "wings" look like they should have external fuel tanks, bombs, etc slung underneath them. :D:

I have no idea who has the better price,

but Right to Bear Arms has Faxon barrels on sale.

The had pistol braces on sale too.

Thanks. Got the barrel for 119.99. The RBA is on sale for 134.00 which is still a good price. I never remember to look at RBA. Thanks for the reminder. I was gonna wait for more 4 July sales but I think the lefty stuff will remain the same and I'll be surprised if the barrel and brace go any lower. This is my last build. :)

Most of my stuff arrived today. Time to go to work. Awaiting only the CMC trigger, SBA3 brace, and KNS crosshair front site post. They've been shipped. I have the lower and flash hider, etc. Fixin' to get started on gas tube to block install.

One step at a time. I plan on using the factory Colt trigger assembly and MBUS front sight post for the initial (does this gun function well?) followed by a 25 meter zero. I'll then replace trigger / front sight post and march on.

t6VmCsS.jpg

• Like 1

Most of my stuff arrived today. Time to go to work. Awaiting only the CMC trigger, SBA3 brace, and KNS crosshair front site post. They've been shipped. I have the lower and flash hider, etc. Fixin' to get started on gas tube to block install.

One step at a time. I plan on using the factory Colt trigger assembly and MBUS front sight post for the initial (does this gun function well?) followed by a 25 meter zero. I'll then replace trigger / front sight post and march on.

t6VmCsS.jpg

Looks like things are coming together.

Hopefully the rest of your components get delivered in soon!

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

Fortunately the gas tube pin was easiest yet but still tight.

Had to go out to shop to tighten barrel nut in my bench vise.

Handguard was so tight (lightly greased) that it required tapping on all the way with plastic mallet. Don't see it rotating.

Flash hider is an A1 style with 6 slots. I have 2 short versions of the XM-177 on the way (3.5"). I'll see how one of those looks.

I was forced to temporarily use the complete Colt lower for pics only (stupid law). Brace and trigger are showing a Monday arrival.

Ambi - charging handle and front sight post are showing Saturday (doubt it).

Charging, etc is very smooth.

Need to put my sights on.

Upper fit the Colt lower perfectly. No daylight between the two. Zero wiggle. Pins press out with finger pressure.

Trump was on a roll the evening.

qUtvKIP.jpg

8iDx5ul.jpg

cvcGmdi.jpg

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 2

qUtvKIP.jpg

8iDx5ul.jpg

cvcGmdi.jpg

Nice SBR.... I mean nice pistol upper! :segrin:

Looking forward to seeing the finished pistol and getting a range report.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

Nice SBR.... I mean nice pistol upper! :segrin:

Looking forward to seeing the finished pistol and getting a range report.

Thanks,

Glenn

:hysterical3: Thanks.

• Like 1