Sign in to follow this  
TackleberryMCS

Two clone builds in the works

Last year, I embarked on two more M16A1 clone builds. In October and November, I ordered two NDS-603 upper receivers, two NDS-16A1 lower receivers, and two NDS-42 charging handles from Nodak Spud. Well, to date, they are up to filling orders from last May. Fortunately, I was notified by Harlan that they just had a blem upper and lower come available. Since the upper had the NDS forge code already removed, I told him that was perfect as that is what I had ordered. Well, the stuff is to arrive at my FFL on Friday. This means that this weekend, I will be able to get my late 1967-1970 M16A1 clone built. My 1971 M16A1 clone will have to wait for a while longer. Fortunately, I have had all of the parts I need for these two builds laying around and waiting.

• Like 1

What are the notable differences between a 67- 70 model rifle compared to the 71 model?

What are the notable differences between a 67- 70 model rifle compared to the 71 model?

The early 1967 M16A1 had a D type stock and a 3-prong FH. The late 1967-1970 M16A1 had a D type stock and birdcage FH. The 1971 M16A1 had the newer E type trapdoor stock and birdcage FH. From 1967-1971, the upper receiver did not have forge codes as they did not show up until 1972. Here is my clone of an early 1967 M16A1.

lGFB7Xy.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers. Thats a nice rifle. I like the early models with fixed carry handles and triangle hand gaurds.

Do you have any pictures of pre 1965 military issue ar15's by any chance..? I believe they may have been made by colt but referred to as armalites.

Cheers. Thats a nice rifle. I like the early models with fixed carry handles and triangle hand gaurds.

Do you have any pictures of pre 1965 military issue ar15's by any chance..? I believe they may have been made by colt but referred to as armalites.

I do have a build that I did that is close to a Model 602. The Model 601 is the first M16. I do not have a build of one of these yet.

Here is my Model 602 clone. It is not 100% correct, but very close in appearance.

cnaAxwr.jpg

Here are some links to the specs on the 601 and 602.

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/601.html

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/602.html

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 2

I just love the older model style of these. And as always Tack, your builds are superb.

• Like 1

Yessir I am forever amazed at your knowledge and attention to detail. Those are some nice rifles!!

• Like 1