Sign in to follow this  
TackleberryMCS

Latest retro build.

Since last year, I have been trying to get two more M16A1 clones built. It has been a long wait for the Nodak Spud receivers. Fortunately, Harlan told me about a blem set that was available and I was able to score that to get one of the builds done. After picking up the receiver set and CH this morning from my FFL, the late 1967-1970 M16A1 clone is done. It even has a correct C MP C barrel. Internals (FCG modified to SP1 specs)and furniture are original M16 parts. I did my own BFPU finish as usual. It may be sometime around October or November before I get the 1971 version done.

a99Sgjk.jpg

5UZ5KTu.jpg

xE3b3BH.jpg

hwxO1ub.jpg

QQ6Pedy.jpg

uoR8HBe.jpg

7lmiWbC.jpg

• Like 4

Saw that on Facebook James. That is sweet. Those retro receivers look nice.

One of these days.....

• Like 1

WOW!!!

That came out really nice.

I like the battle field pick up finish.

Always enjoy seeing these retro builds.

Thought about maybe doing the Nodak Spud NDS-15U "trigger charging handle" for a faux retro build.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

WOW!!!

That came out really nice.

I like the battle field pick up finish.

Always enjoy seeing these retro builds.

Thought about maybe doing the Nodak Spud NDS-15U "trigger charging handle" for a faux retro build.

Thanks,

Glenn

The trigger type charging handle you are speaking of was used on, what they refer to as, a Armalite prototype AR-15. These were made in limited number back in the late 1950s (around 1957). The first 17 ArmaLite AR15 rifles were originally built with a trigger charging handle similar to the one used on AR10s.

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/ProtoGde/ArmaLite17.html

• Like 1

Never thought in a million years I'd say this about that sob. Very nice and very cool (gag). :D: Being a lefty shooter, I ate a lot of brass til I "procured" not 1 but 2 of those brass dumpers that snapped into the carry handle. Only from my cold dead hands were those leaving me. :)

• Like 1

I like the NDS stuff but the wait is worse than for a stamp. 'Course there aint many games in town, are there my brother?. And sometimes good things may come from the lack of a good clone lower. :thumb:

I like the NDS stuff but the wait is worse than for a stamp. 'Course there aint many games in town, are there my brother?. And sometimes good things may come from the lack of a good clone lower. :thumb:

Personally, I would rather wait for Nodak Spud receivers that order them from Brownells. Mike and Harlan are meticulous when it comes to the machining and finishing of their products. They produce some of the finest receivers on the market and it shows. Also, the fact that they use US Anodizing for anodizing helps to insure that the finishes are really consistent. Between the time it takes to machine and polish out the receivers and the time it takes for US Anodizing to get their part done, it does take quite some time as both of these companies are extremely busy and not hurting for business. So far, I own 16 lowers from Nodak Spud and about 4 of their 603 uppers.

Edited by TackleberryMCS

Looks like the rifle I used in Basic Training.

• Like 1

Great job, love the way it turned out.

• Like 1