bamashooter

Flitz It He Said (Oh My)

Goodness. I enjoyed it however removing the residual caught be a bit off guard. I was going to do 10 sessions of about 1 minute per. I wanted to use the sunlight for removing any left over Flitz and a cursory cleaning of barrel. After 6 sessions I noticed not all that much sun was going to be left. Stopped at six. I ended up using two .38 / 9mm mops as my applicator. Worked great with the drill. Well, it seemed to. I don't really know now do I.

Took some CLP outdoors and gave a good spray. It may have removed a little (lugs area) but pretty much worthless. Hit it with a chamber brush and not much happening. Brought out a can of non-aerosol brake cleaner. Much better. Clean it well in about 1 1/2 hours or so. Pretty hot out there and pizza almost burned in the oven. Perhaps 2 hours total. Sprayed CLP well from lugs to muzzle to get a little lube on the metal and ran a few patches to make sure it was all wet. Never been a fan of CLP other than for a minor cleaning and a temporary lube.

Now all I have left to do is a follow up barrel cleaning, light lubing, wipe down, etc.

Go fire a few rounds in the morning and see where we stand. If no progress at all, screw it. BTW, that guy I referenced with the same looking brass (but he was also having malfunctions heard from Faxon and sent his 2 new barrels in. Faxon did tell him that one possibility was residual salts in his chambers. I guess I can see that be a cause of a rough surface.

Severe weather moving in a bit later thus the "rush" to knock this out best I could this evening. Glad I didn't wait til tomorrow. Time to go finish up.

Just wanted ya'll to have a good laugh with me. Seriously, I thought in less than 45 minutes the entire process would be over. Ha! Check out the pic.

F5sSm8I.jpg

• Like 1

I have to admit I recently unboxed a new ARP12.5 and just halfway cleaned the barrel and started shooting and cases looked rough , last time I shot it its a good thing I hit the ground hog 1 st shot because it failed to eject . After a light mortar against my leg I found the brass to be pretty rough . I cleaned it with a brush and j B but never thought about Fritz .I'm about to run a velocity comparison with 12.5 -16-and 18"ARP with 10 different factory loads so I will know soon if it's going to mess up again .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I have to admit I recently unboxed a new ARP12.5 and just halfway cleaned the barrel and started shooting and cases looked rough , last time I shot it its a good thing I hit the ground hog 1 st shot because it failed to eject . After a light mortar against my leg I found the brass to be pretty rough . I cleaned it with a brush and Hoppes but never thought about Fritz .I'm about to run a velocity comparison with 12.5 -16-and 18"ARP with 10 different factory loads so I will know soon if it's going to mess up again .

Sorry about the clutter ,I have recently been having trouble editing my screw ups and it gets confusing . Used to holding on a post put a tool symbol up but now it doesn't and when I finally do find an edit it reposts . I'm going to a 7 year olds birthday party today I'm sure one of those 2 and graders can get me lined out on how to use my phone.

Sorry about the clutter ,I have recently been having trouble editing my screw ups and it gets confusing . Used to holding on a post put a tool symbol up but now it doesn't and when I finally do find an edit it reposts . I'm going to a 7 year olds birthday party today I'm sure one of those 2 and graders can get me lined out on how to use my phone.

Based on this thread you should fit right in. :snicker:

Kidding of course. Yeah, that chamber cleaning was about as easy as it gets. I really loaded the mop w/ Flitz each session because I had no idea how heat / friction was going to impact the chamber, quickly use up the Flitz, etc. Likely went way overboard.