I know its been talked about but what kind of 556/223 rounds good for home defense that will not go threw multiple walls

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Any of the various tipped varmint bullets.

My question is, why not use a handgun or shotgun for in-home defense? You run a much less chance of over-penetration than you would with AR-15 ammo. None of my ARs are for in-home use. I have a Remy 870 (with 00 Buck), a Kimber .45 (with JHP ammo), and a Glock 26 (with JHP ammo) for that.

• Like 1

My question is, why not use a handgun or shotgun for in-home defense? You run a much less chance of over-penetration than you would with AR-15 ammo. None of my ARs are for in-home use. I have a Remy 870 (with 00 Buck), a Kimber .45 (with JHP ammo), and a Glock 26 (with JHP ammo) for that.

Just wondering. Keeping all options open

I know its been talked about but what kind of 556/223 rounds good for home defense that will not go through multiple walls?

None of them. Every 223/556 load which is appropriate for the job of shutting someone down is going to go through interior walls. Rifles are generally able to shoot through entire trees, how is a wall that you can punch your fist through gonna stop that?

It's not strange for a modern home invasion to be multiple armed dudes. If you try taking on multiple armed dudes with some weak trash ammo that can't go spine-deep, you're wishing death on yourself.

As for shotguns, you really get your money's worth from them if you have a high level of proficiency, higher than I am willing to develop and maintain.

My home ar-15 gets speer gold dots.

• Like 1

There are those which won't penetrate multiple walls but at the same time I don't believe they achieve the penetration you're looking for when popping an intruder.

None of them. Every 223/556 load which is appropriate for the job of shutting someone down is going to go through interior walls. Rifles are generally able to shoot through entire trees, how is a wall that you can punch your fist through gonna stop that?

It's not strange for a modern home invasion to be multiple armed dudes. If you try taking on multiple armed dudes with some weak trash ammo that can't go spine-deep, you're wishing death on yourself.

As for shotguns, you really get your money's worth from them if you have a high level of proficiency, higher than I am willing to develop and maintain.

My home ar-15 gets speer gold dots.

There are multiple videos around of every handgun round available out penetrating even FMJ 5.56 loads in walls. As I recall every 12 ga load besides birdshot also penetrated more than 5.56 loads.

There are multiple videos around of every handgun round available out penetrating even FMJ 5.56 loads in walls. As I recall every 12 ga load besides birdshot also penetrated more than 5.56 loads.

I have also seen the same in penetration tests. Changed my mind about a rifle for home defense. Now I’m more afraid of over penetration with my .45. For me I go for the newly released Hornady critical defense 73gr for various reasons. I used to have some PowerPoint hunting ammo but now that is for punching paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any expanding bullet should be good for home defense. That includes hollow-points, soft points, and polymer tipped ammo.

• Like 1

Any of the various tipped varmint bullets.

Nailed it first post!

Another approach is don't use the AR unless you need to shoot through walls.

Show me the data of where "over-penetration" (firearm-related only), specifically interior / exterior structure walls, has resulted in the need resort to other means during a self-defense situation. By that I mean numbers, not just a handful of incidents.

Nailed it first post!

Another approach is don't use the AR unless you need to shoot through walls.

I've moved to this after watching the following video.

O yeah the magic bullet conversation.

So you want the bullet to penetrate but not penetrate, Pure awesome.

Check out You tube. So many videos and demonstrations of rifle ammo NOT penetrating as far as shotgun and handgun ammo its absolutely ridiculous.

But since you asked Speer gold dot 64 grain out of a DDmk18.

Thats crasy

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15

Just one of many tests saying .223 penetrates less than some handgun calibers.

"Based on the results of this testing, there appears to be no basis for concern regarding the over penetration of the .223 [HP] round. In fact, it seems even safer in this regard than .40 S&W handgun ammunition."

I think the .300 Black Out is a great choice for home defense. I am not shooting subs or suppressed so I look at ballistics in the super range. 300BO is the round I have chosen to hunt with in my FL jungle like woods. I love my little ODG/camo 16" carbine. Well built by me, topped with a Pentax 3X9 Lightseeker, light weight, easily maneuverable and highly accurate. Most of my shots will be well under 100yds. I also have a fancy shmancy heavy azzed 6.5G for open long range shooting.

This 110gr Armageddon round is pretty impressive. I am presently shooting a 150gr Remington SS round because its what is available locally. I tend to gravitate to a heavier round but the expansion of Armageddon round is impressive. Speeds near 2000 fps is also impressive, the 150's are much slower which isnt a surprise but the extra punch and a flatter trajectory may make it a better choice. With a little more research into both rounds I may switch to the 110gr. for hunting.

I think the .300 Black Out is a great choice for home defense. I am not shooting subs or suppressed so I look at ballistics in the super range. 300BO is the round I have chosen to hunt with in my FL jungle like woods. I love my little ODG/camo 16" carbine. Well built by me, topped with a Pentax 3X9 Lightseeker, light weight, easily maneuverable and highly accurate. Most of my shots will be well under 100yds. I also have a fancy shmancy heavy azzed 6.5G for open long range shooting.

This 110gr Armageddon round is pretty impressive. I am presently shooting a 150gr Remington SS round because its what is available locally. I tend to gravitate to a heavier round but the expansion of Armageddon round is impressive. Speeds near 2000 fps is also impressive, the 150's are much slower which isnt a surprise but the extra punch and a flatter trajectory may make it a better choice. With a little more research into both rounds I may switch to the 110gr. for hunting.

I have a 300blk for hunting in the thicker forest around here and have it topped with a 1-4x Nikon.

It's a very light rifle and quick handling. The 110 Barnes Tac round is crazy accurate and has the best gel results I've seen.

How would a Frangible style ammo work for HD? It seems it would be very effective, and destruct into a powder when it hits a barrier (like a wall). Please let me know your thoughts on this as I ordered some for my 9mm handgun today.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/575081/hevi-shot-hevi-duty-defense-ammunition-9mm-luger-100-grain-frangible-non-toxic-lead-free-box-of-50

It will splash something terrible if you are talking about the powdered stuff. Not good. A fellow really needs some penetration. If that acts like the stuff we trained with a sternum shot will hurt like heck but it won't barrel through and take out the spine/CNS. It won't be a fight stopper IMHO. I would want something like a Glaser slug where you have a lot more penetration with less down range issues than standard rounds.

Greg

I think frangible ammo has been improved over the years, and it might be an ok self defense bullet. But it's not the best at stopping someone since it's made to break apart. I'm sure it'll stop someone eventually, but it might take multiple bullets where other ammo may take fewer.

It probably would be a safer choice if you're more concerned with over penetration than stopping power. But it might be more like shooting someone with pellets depending on placement.

Perfect the Mozambique Drill with that little pistol and don't be concerned with the ammunition du jour. Just stitch 'em baby. :tiphat:

Gt0kxCX.gif

This.

I believe "box-o-truth" did a test on this as well!

O yeah the magic bullet conversation.

So you want the bullet to penetrate but not penetrate, Pure awesome.

Check out You tube. So many videos and demonstrations of rifle ammo NOT penetrating as far as shotgun and handgun ammo its absolutely ridiculous.

But since you asked Speer gold dot 64 grain out of a DDmk18.

I had a few mags loaded with hunting ammo until I started picking up on the Speer gold Dot deal at PSA at 50 cents a round delivered.

The 64 grain is what I use also. I am concerned that with a really big/fat bad guy, especially if heavily clothed, that

fragile varmint bullet might not get the job done. I can also envision a scenario where I want to shoot through a couch or a wall,

and I don't need the bullet fragmenting before it reaches the target. I would also not like to address a problem in an automobile

with a 50 grain varmint round.

As always, the only person you need to make happy is yourself, but that is what I use. If I go through all my Gold Dot,

that means things are really sporty, and I don't think I will be caring one whit about using my Lake City.

<snip>

I am concerned that with a really big/fat bad guy, especially if heavily clothed, that

fragile varmint bullet might not get the job done. <snip>

Another thing to remember: You can get level 2 body armor on Ebay, and bad guys are gearing up to keep from getting killed in the act of their misbehavior.

• Like 1