Sign in to follow this  
bamashooter

What Makes a Good AR Article

That could have been written a lot better, by that I mean it should have been far shorter.

I guess the question I would ask this author is which companies does he consider the quality builders and which ones are not . He also said don't judge quality companies by their occasion lemons because they outsource a lot of their parts so I guess he's saying the same part is junk on a cheap rifle but quality on an experience one . He said he advised to buy an expensive factory gun if for defence and I would have to agree to go factory unless you are mechanically inclined and a stickler for details or know a friend or local Smith who is experienced and dedicated to quality work . I've only purchased one factory AR and the selector was hard to move to fire and stuck there right out of the box . As far as being sure it's .556 not one of the .223s I don't know why he didn't say .556 or .223w maybe he doesn't think the .223 W will take 500 fast pew pew . If you can afford a $2,500 your defense ammo need not be cheap .556 ball ammo we civilians don't have to make NATO happy and can use good quality ammo with bullets designed to get the job done. That said I'm not a certified expert on the subject by no means and my go to is a 6.8 .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Though I appreciate the article, I do agree it could have easily been condensed and I read with a bit of skepticism due primarily to some of the points highlighted by ozarkpugs.

I did see several grammatical errors, but that is beside the point. There were some good tidbits of info in the article. I do agree that it is a bit long-winded. It is, at best, an article that speaks in general and uncertain terms. A lot of what he says is without bias and that is good. I do not agree that in all cases that an expensive AR is the best for a defensive or hard use. As was pointed out, it is the quality of the parts used and how the weapon was assembled. There are some $600 ARs that will perform every bit as well as some of those that cost considerably more. There are also $600 ARs that I would not trust to defend my life. The same can be said for some higher priced models. Additionally, you cannot always go by the rollmark on an AR, nor by who assembled or manufactured it. Every company is capable of producing some lemons and some more than others. I will say that it is important to ALWAYS buy from a reputable vendor who does carry good quality parts and assembles good quality weapons. I see a lot of guys these days buying cheap uppers from a lot of these new pop-up internet companies. Some of these companies do not divulge any info about the products they assemble as far as the components they use. If someone is just wanting to put together a cheap plinker, then I say, go for it. If you are going to assemble or buy an AR, then put you money where it will do the most for you. Getting the best bang for the buck is paramount. That does not mean spending thousands to get a good quality AR, but if a person has the wallet to do so and is willing, then do it. I have certainly spent a lot of money on several of the ARs I have. Quality and dependability are very important when it comes to an AR that you are going to depend on to defend your life and the lives of others.

One more thing, two is one. Three or more is better. It is also wise to have at least two ARs set up very similar. You never know when one may go down for some reason or another and you need to have a way to stay in the fight. One last thing to note. ALWAYS make sure that you have a strong supply of various types of ammo for your ARs as well as a plentiful supply of quality and dependable magazines. For 5.56 ARs, I recommend having plenty of M193 and M855 or equivalents to these. Additionally, having an ample supply of Mk262 type ammo (77 gr. OTM) would be beneficial as well. All of these types of ammo work well in barrels chambered in .223 Wylde and 5.56 NATO and having a 1/7 or 1/8 twist.

To close, I urge everyone to do research before buying or building any AR. In saying that, DO NOT believe everything you read or hear. There is a lot of name bias on the internet and a lot of guys giving their .02 worth have little to no experience with much of what they comment on. On top of that, you have guys quoting and uttering the same garbage. DO NOT fall into that trap. Do your homework and find credible sources and inquire from those who have actual experience with the products you are looking at.

That is all I have to say about that (for now). :)

Edited by TackleberryMCS
  • Like 2

As always, the Professor brings valid point on which I do not need to expound. He has said better than I could have. The only thing I would like to add is no matter the source, no matter the cost, knowledge of your go to weapon is as equally important. If it is going to defend you and family, it better be an extension of your arm. Get out and shoot and shoot a lot. If there is any issue with the weapon, hopefully it will be revealed during this training.

Yes buy quality parts where you can but there isnt a need to buy a $2500 AR. If thats what you want, go ahead. I for one think there are plenty of products out there that will give the service you want without playing the name game and save you money for more ammo. Ammo being more critical than your firearm. Your AR is just a poor club without it. I defer to James' thoughts here as well.

One is none, two is one, 40 or more is better, huh, Professor?? Sorry I couldnt resist, lol.

• Like 2

Does it work and is it reliable....

As always, the Professor brings valid point on which I do not need to expound. He has said better than I could have. The only thing I would like to add is no matter the source, no matter the cost, knowledge of your go to weapon is as equally important. If it is going to defend you and family, it better be an extension of your arm. Get out and shoot and shoot a lot. If there is any issue with the weapon, hopefully it will be revealed during this training.

Yes buy quality parts where you can but there isnt a need to buy a $2500 AR. If thats what you want, go ahead. I for one think there are plenty of products out there that will give the service you want without playing the name game and save you money for more ammo. Ammo being more critical than your firearm. Your AR is just a poor club without it. I defer to James' thoughts here as well.

One is none, two is one, 40 or more is better, huh, Professor?? Sorry I couldnt resist, lol.

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I couldn't agree more with "Get out and shoot and shoot a lot." I can't tell you how many people I know that bought an AR when they were afraid we wouldn't be able to buy them one day soon, took them home and tucked them away somewhere having never put a round through them. It's there if I need it!

Yeah, it's there to go 'click' when you expected it to go 'bang'. Again, I'm far from being an expert on the subject but both of mine required some 'break-in' to be reliable.

• Like 1

Neither of my ars needed a break in, but let's just laugh at the idea of trying to face hard times with a rifle that has never even been sighted in. Have fun shooting "zombies" without having any idea where your bullets are going lol.

• Like 1

Neither of my ars needed a break in, but let's just laugh at the idea of trying to face hard times with a rifle that has never even been sighted in. Have fun shooting "zombies" without having any idea where your bullets are going lol.

Very good point. Even though I have a lot of ARs and have built nearly 7 dozen, every one of them has been fired to test function and to sight them in. I have only a few ARs that have not been shot by me as they are collectible Colts and are in pristine condition. If anyone is going to sock an AR away, or any firearm for that matter, then they need to make sure it works first and is set up to operate before using in a real world scenario.