Sign in to follow this  
ewallover

Starting a search in earnest for my old Colt 1911 NMGC

If by any slim chance you have this particular 1967 Colt National Match Gold Cup S/N 22405NM, I would love to talk with you. I fully understand this is a needle in a haystack effort, but if I dont ask it will never happen. Its a long story I broached here a long while ago, but the Colf Forum suggested I just go for broke, so here goes... if you have any suggestions on where else to post this, Im all ears. The pistol was traded in 1982/83 in Findlay, Ohio at Jacquas Fine Guns... maybe that can tighten up the search radius...

Edited by ewallover

Good luck. I remember the story. I really hope you find it.

Hope you find it.

Can’t find it if I don’t try...

• Like 1

It is really a sentimental thing at this point. I’d love to be able to pass it down to one of my sons. One is a absolute gun nut, and the other is an avid hunter who has an appreciation for the finer things in life. Both boys would be a real protector of the piece... but hell, I’d just love to enjoy the craftsmanship and shoot it with my other .45s... it took me years to tell my Dad what i’d done. He wasn’t upset, and told me he’d have done the same thing. Not sure I believed that, but I’m still going to try to fill that hole in the collection.

It is a long shot. But I hope that you find it.

• Like 1

I'm sure you have already done this but I would start at the place you traded it and try and follow the paper trail. Luck may be on your side and I hope you can be reunited with it. If you can even narrow it down to a town or region you could place an add in the local paper and see what turns up.

Funny, I have only gotten rid of four guns in my life and I will see the owners of two of them today, the third is owned by a doctor not far from me and the fourth was traded back into the dealer I bought it from so I have no direct knowledge of the new owner. Of all of the guns I sold I really have no desire to have any of them back. The only gun I replaced after selling it was my 1911 and I bought a better gun the second time around.

Good luck on your quest.

I asked earnest, he doesnt have it.

Jacquas would be the place to start but honestly they probably wont give you the name of the person who bought it from them. Not only the privacy aspect but that was long enough back they arent required to keep the records. Even if they had it, they sell tons of guns and likely store old records in boxes.

I have a store in Findlay, if you make up a sign with the Gun info I bet we could post it for customers to see.

Its a long shot but not any longer than anything else.

• Like 1

if you do nothing you will get nothing back. Go for it.

I asked earnest, he doesnt have it.

Jacquas would be the place to start but honestly they probably wont give you the name of the person who bought it from them. Not only the privacy aspect but that was long enough back they arent required to keep the records. Even if they had it, they sell tons of guns and likely store old records in boxes.

I have a store in Findlay, if you make up a sign with the Gun info I bet we could post it for customers to see.

Its a long shot but not any longer than anything else.

Jacquas has several correspondences from me and I have actually spoken with them about this. All of the records from the early 80s are paper and I was told they just do not have the manpower to dig through old files and as I cannot narrow the dates much tighter, I think the S/N is my only viable way to do the search. Ive been told that they would keep an eye out for any old Colt National Match Gold Cup 1911 bearing the S/N 22405NM. I was clear when I spoke with them that I did not wish to compromise anyones privacy. I sent an email to the Ohio Gun Collectors Association and they are going to post my email and request. I think Ohio is the best place to focus. Frankly, Im not very optimistic, but stranger things... It sure would be nice to fill out my 1911 collection with the pistol that started my love affair with that family of pistols. I think Pop would be pleased too. I know he was disappointed that the pistol was traded, but he said he understood my reasons.

My email contact information is ewallover@walloverarchitects.com. I can provide address and telephone via a PM if interested.

Edited by ewallover

All quiet on the western front... I am going to be in north central Ohio next month I plan stopping by Jacquas just for fun... you never know.

Edited by ewallover

I shall visualize you once again holding the pistol.

Good Luck !

When I left my grandfather's pocket knife in a study hall at SIU ( I was sharpening

my pencil, and apparently did not shove it far enough back into my pocket) I was heartbroken.

I prayed every day to be reunited with that knife, and after quite some time I was.

Never give up.

All quiet on the western front... I am going to be in north central Ohio next month I plan stopping by Jacquas just for fun... you never know.

That would be cool if somebody there knew where it was.