redbarron06

Water filtration options?

I have been looking at some different water filtration optics. Wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with this or other systems.

Its going to serve 3 basic roles, for the known immediate future, it will serve as a way to gather and filter fresh water during an upcoming elk hunt in the western mountains. So it must be portable. 2nd it will go with me for natural disaster relief such as last year with the hurricanes in PR and USVI. Again portability is a great concern. I have a "go box" that I use for these missions with a MSR dual fuel stove and some freeze dried meals. Because this could be used for 3-6 people at a shot one of the little life straws is not an option. Last it would be kept in the truck for break downs. I keep a box with some free dried meals and one of the mountain ultra light stoves with a couple of cooking options in the truck just in case of an out in the middle of nowhere breakdown. I have also been known to raid that box for lunch while hunting locally.

So I have been looking at the Katadyn Hiker Pro model. 1L per minute, and should render safe drinking water from anywhere in the US. While it won't remove chemicals it does handle all of the micro critters. It is rated for 1-3 people but anybody that knows the military, knows that hurry up and wait means that I'll more than likely have time to help others.

Does anybody have any experience with this or any other filters?

I have the Katadyn Pocket and run it through charcoal to help with the taste. I'd recommend Katadyn.

• Like 1

Elk hunt???!!! :nfa stamp: :blahblah2:

I have the Katadyn Pocket and run it through charcoal to help with the taste. I'd recommend Katadyn.

I have the Katadyn Pocket filter also.

Katadyn rates it good for up to 3 people.

One thing with its ceramic filter cartridge. It must be dried out in freezing weather. If ceramic filters freeze, they crack and render them useless.

What is great about this filters is, depending on the water quality. One cartridge will do up to 50,000 liters.

These things are pricey. But they are one of the best portable water filters made.

Thanks,

Glenn

Elk hunt???!!! :nfa stamp: :blahblah2:

Yea bunch of work buddies want to do a DIY in CO next Nov after they get back from Kosovo.

I have the Katadyn Pocket filter also.

Katadyn rates it good for up to 3 people.

One thing with its ceramic filter cartridge. It must be dried out in freezing weather. If ceramic filters freeze, they crack and render them useless.

What is great about this filters is, depending on the water quality. One cartridge will do up to 50,000 liters.

These things are pricey. But they are one of the best portable water filters made.

Thanks,

Glenn

I have seen many warnings about ceramic style filters and freezing weather. I know Katadyn has a top notch rep but wanted to check here for anybody that has some experience with them.

OH yes,, used them all at one time or another.

What I can tell you is they all work for what they are designed and within their limitations. Its knowing that that is the trick. I was using a cheap squeeze bottle charcoal filter when the guys all came down with Ghiardia from drinking the water without a filter. That was Chatooga Gorge.

My hands down favorite is "First Need". Its the only filter rated for virus without adding chemicals to the water. My favorite high volume is MSR Miniworks which is ceramic. That said, have probably a half a dozen filter straws stashed in bags.

All the filters, no matter who's, if there's water still in them freezing is a problem. Harder the filter, like ceramic, more the problem. No water in them, dried out, no problem.

Tj

BTW, on the Katadyne pocket filter. It was originally designed for the military. Its strength really is that metal housing. The 0.2 micron cermic filter well is a 0.2 micron cermic filter no better no worse. They are a tad more pumping than most filters but will take a hell of a lot of abuse in a pack. Katadyne also make a mini-pocket which is ceramic with replaceable charcoal core. Its very popular and a lot prettier than when it first came out.

One of the things I like about the Mini-Works is its charcoal discs can be field brushed like the ceramic. I like that better than replacing cores or filters to get the activated charcoal. Activated charcoal only lasts six months after wet. It gets a coating. The filters still work, the charcoal just doesn't.

The First Need both pumps and gravity feeds. Gravity feed, you just hang it and go to something else while it gravity filters the water. The membranes are all the same. All they do is filter and does not address dissolved solids but they do work at what they do.

• Like 1

First thing you say you are looking for a filter but I think you mean purifier. Correct?

As mentioned Katadyn is a good purifier and has been making them for at least 30 years.

Are you staying in a tent (backpack with no stove or an outfitters with a stove), trailer or motel?

Will there be streams where you are going? Are they big enough to no freeze if it gets really cold? For 6 guys your probably going to want at least 2 6 gal jugs full at a time or someone is going to be filling a jug everyday. You will be drinking more than a gal per guy per day at altitude when hunting Elk...unless you just road hunt.

One thing to give consideration to is the temps. Unless you have a way to keep the filter from freezing (including if you carry it with you) and don't leave it in a warm camper it may freeze. You may be better off bringing water with you.This is what we do in the camper and 2 of us go through about 40 gals in 11 days drinking, cooking and doing dishes and we do try to be somewhat stingy doing dishes.

Plastic 6 gal jugs (such as Reliance) work well and will handle freezing temps and handle the water freezing solid without splitting.

Depending on where you are going and the weather we get it may never get above freezing. It's been warm in the high country the last couple years with temps barely getting into freezing even at night and very little snow but you may get a few -20 deg nights with a high of zero (F) during the day with no sun and 2 or 3 feet of snow..

Maybe have a couple buddies get a purifier as well would be a good idea? Many hands make short work.

Using a single purifier for 6 guys for more than a weeks water will put a lot of miles on it and a back-up is a good idea.

Iodine tablets would be a good back-up.

Sorry for going off-track a bit but I run into hunters from out of state when the weather gets bad who just aren't equipped for the weather (temp or snow) or altitude.

Darrell

• Like 1

First thing you say you are looking for a filter but I think you mean purifier. Correct?

As mentioned Katadyn is a good purifier and has been making them for at least 30 years.

Are you staying in a tent (backpack with no stove or an outfitters with a stove), trailer or motel?

Will there be streams where you are going? Are they big enough to no freeze if it gets really cold? For 6 guys your probably going to want at least 2 6 gal jugs full at a time or someone is going to be filling a jug everyday. You will be drinking more than a gal per guy per day at altitude when hunting Elk...unless you just road hunt.

One thing to give consideration to is the temps. Unless you have a way to keep the filter from freezing (including if you carry it with you) and don't leave it in a warm camper it may freeze. You may be better off bringing water with you.This is what we do in the camper and 2 of us go through about 40 gals in 11 days drinking, cooking and doing dishes and we do try to be somewhat stingy doing dishes.

Plastic 6 gal jugs (such as Reliance) work well and will handle freezing temps and handle the water freezing solid without splitting.

Depending on where you are going and the weather we get it may never get above freezing. It's been warm in the high country the last couple years with temps barely getting into freezing even at night and very little snow but you may get a few -20 deg nights with a high of zero (F) during the day with no sun and 2 or 3 feet of snow..

Maybe have a couple buddies get a purifier as well would be a good idea? Many hands make short work.

Using a single purifier for 6 guys for more than a weeks water will put a lot of miles on it and a back-up is a good idea.

Iodine tablets would be a good back-up.

Sorry for going off-track a bit but I run into hunters from out of state when the weather gets bad who just aren't equipped for the weather (temp or snow) or altitude.

Darrell

I am specifically looking for filtration. Purification often involves chemical treatment and while it is lighter and takes up much less space it often leaves the water (and anything you might cook with it) tasting like crap.

Right now the plan is to take a camper to one of the state parks in the area. You did bring up a good point though, might want to get one of those heated water supply hoses for the park connection. We would be basing out of the camp ground for most of the days but we are planning on maybe 1 or 2 nights at a spike camp. The area we are going to, a few of the guys at work have been to before. I'll check with them on the availability of natural water such as streams and creeks. The nights at the spike camp will be very lightweight. Something to the effect of MT House meals and coffee in the mornings. I have a couple of the ultra light stoves (MSR and Jetboil) and intend on using those mostly for lunches to keep the calorie intake up with warm food. Personally I am thinking about carrying insulated bottles and filing up when the opportunity permits rather than something like a 3 liter camelback that will weight several pounds and makes it difficult to measure it out for cooking. What I know they have worked out now is an area in the NW side of the state and around the 1st week of Nov (3rd gun season). Obviously when in camp and before leaving each day we would fill up at the camper but to refill on the trail and for the couple of nights at spike camp is when I plan on using the filter.

ETA: All of that being said, being that you are from CO and elk hunt, please any information you can provide would be very useful. Of the 5 of us that are going only 2 of us have ever elk hunted before and that was only once in east TN. I am sure it is very different out there. The other 4 guys are looking at getting cow tags, I figure if I am going through all of the trouble I'll spend the extra $150 or so and get an either sex tag.

I thought about something like that because they are a little less expensive but they take time. Because I am mainly looking to top off on the go, I don't really want to deal with all of that.

3rd rifle (we hunt this season too) just plan for all weather conditions from -25 to 50 deg F and dry to raging blizzards...You just never can tell. We don't have the humidity you do in Tn so a given temp will not feel as cold here as where you are....but anything below zero F starts to get cold if you are still hunting (siting on the ground watching a lane or meadow, a thin insulated pad does WONDERS for insulating your butt and legs from the cold ground when sitting) and not moving. If you are walking it isn't so bad but depending on the moisture content of the snow below about 10 deg it gets so squeaky you can't sneak up on the dead much less a animal.

The weather forecasts aren't too accurate if you are up in elevation. But the NW section isn't really high. I haven't hunted there but I hear it is some good Elk hunting. That area varies roughly 6-9k feet, for comparison where I hunt camp is at 10400 ft and we go up over 12200 and it's typically steep timber.

Elk hunting is just like any other hunting, Being in the right place at the right time. I see them when driving, hiking and sitting. They can be anywhere at just about any time but they aren't warm weather critters and typically search out cooler areas.

I use a 100 oz. camels back and will usually last me all day.

Move slow, listen and watch, I can't tell you how many elk I have jumped looking in the wrong direction or moving too fast. I have spooked then at over 200 yds and have played games with juvenile (non legal) bulls just to see how close I could get and could move with in 10 yds. The worse the weather the more they seem to like it. Sometimes they hunker down in a blizzard sometimes they are out moving. I have had them walk right over my tracks with-in minutes of me passing by in a blizzard, they HAD to know I was nearby. Main thing is persistence. If you not out you have zero chance.....

One other thing that may be of concern is emptying the black water tank if need be. To my knowledge they don't have private drains but you could use a tote to transfer the sludge to the dump station instead of moving the entire camper and then there is keeping the tank from freezing so you can actually drain the tank. We never use water in tha black tank but take about 10 gals of RV antifreeze and just manually fill the bowl with a cup or so and use that to "flush" down the solids. we also have a heater on the tank but we don't dump until the end of the hunt in town.

I never camp in camp grounds so I am not sure but that time of year the park campgrounds might be closed/water turned off/ electricity off/ dump stations closed so I would iron all of this out soon.

And if it gets real cold keep an eye on your interior water lines...yes they can freeze INSIDE the camper behind drawers or in cabinets. We have modified our camper with forced venting and rerouting of water lines to where we don't have issues until about -20

And I guess it goes with out saying make sure your vehicles are up to the task. Warm weather isn't an issue it's when it gets super cold and your rig won't start or you get stuck in heavy snow without proper equipment.

Like mentioned before we have hod some dry warm winters the last few years so I think we are due for a dose of winter like we used to get in the past.....

Good luck.

Darrell

Thanks for the info. Right now we are planning next Nov so over a year to get ready and work out the fine print.

The Katadyn Vario .....is what I have it can do 2L of water in a minute in clear water plus you can switch it to 1L a minute to maximize filter life by filtering through a ceramic disk + filter. Handle 3-5 people. IN cold weather purge the water from the filter before you store it.

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/405-8014931-katadyn-vario-usa

Edited by gshayd

The Katadyn Vario .....is what I have it can do 2L of water in a minute in clear water plus you can switch it to 1L a minute to maximize filter life by filtering through a ceramic disk + filter. Handle 3-5 people. IN cold weather purge the water from the filter before you store it.

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/405-8014931-katadyn-vario-usa

I looked at those and the thing I don't like about them is you need to hook them up to a water bottle. Several of the guys will be running camel back systems and it will be more difficult to fill with that type of system.