redbarron06

Jetboil coffee press.

Very disappointed. The local Cabela's had a jet boil system in the bargain cave because the box was damaged on a corner. It was something like 45 for a 70 dollar stove and pot system so I figured why not. I decided to go ahead and get the coffee press kit a couple of days ago. After rounding up some whole bean coffee, and a GSI Java mill (that thing is great) I gave the jet boil press a try this morning. There was so much blow by that I had to rinse out the pot and pour all of the coffee back in it and run the press again to get it out.

I am going to take it back. I have also been looking at the GSI Java press in 30oz size. Seen lots of good reviews on it so I'll pick one of those up and give it a try.

Are you using the press with a jetboil or with that cup?

Are you using the press with a jetboil or with that cup?

Cup and MSR stove.

Cup and MSR stove.

It may work fine with other cups/pots. I would however expect it to work with their own brand better.

Stanley makes a cheap french press that's stainless rather than titanium.

I ended up running by Cabals last night and picking up the GSI 30oz Javapress. It works much better, not a single grain blew by the screen.

Operator error......the jetboil rocks and coupled with the coffee press boils water like no tomorrow, takes a major beating & still produces great coffee as long as you do your part....It's the preferred method of boil water/making coffee and such when on the trail, in wildland fire fighters kits & others who need hot water.....weave used it in hotels, drive in movie theaters, car shows , all kinds of places.........

Also have a Commuter Javapress from Black Rifle Coffee that works great when I don't feel like using the coffee press and just make the coffee in the mug....this way the wife also has hot water as she does not drink coffee.

Plus we have a AeroPress Coffee Maker also from Black Rifle.....that works great.....

All tucked intoo a Paragonia bag with coffee & fixins always ready to go.....

Operator error......the jetboil rocks and coupled with the coffee press boils water like no tomorrow, takes a major beating & still produces great coffee as long as you do your part....It's the preferred method of boil water/making coffee and such when on the trail, in wildland fire fighters kits & others who need hot water.....weave used it in hotels, drive in movie theaters, car shows , all kinds of places.........

Also have a Commuter Javapress from Black Rifle Coffee that works great when I don't feel like using the coffee press and just make the coffee in the mug....this way the wife also has hot water as she does not drink coffee.

Plus we have a AeroPress Coffee Maker also from Black Rifle.....that works great.....

All tucked intoo a Paragonia bag with coffee & fixins always ready to go.....

No its not. I have been off and on using French press style coffee makers for several years. Its not rocket science on how to operate it.

You cant just try something once and blame it on the jet boil & call it good....

Look at how many are out there, they work and work good & have stood the test of time.

How many people go shooting, shoot like crap, blame it on the gun & then you pick it up and shoot a tight group....

Could have been anything from to find a grind to not putting it together correctly or a dozen other operator errors....

In your job even with old seasoned farts when they screw something up do you blame the equipment, or trouble shoot it and find out more often than not its operator error....

No its not. I have been off and on using French press style coffee makers for several years. Its not rocket science on how to operate it.

Edited by Rampy

You cant just try something once and blame it on the jet boil & call it good....

Look at how many are out there, they work and work good & have stood the test of time.

How many people go shooting, shoot like crap, blame it on the gun & then you pick it up and shoot a tight group....

Could have been anything from to find a grind to not putting it together correctly or a dozen other operator errors....

In your job even with old seasoned farts when they screw something up do you blame the equipment, or trouble shoot it and find out more often than not its operator error....

I am not sure you actually read my original post. I said nothing negative about the pot itself. I referenced the coffee press. Its a pretty simple item, 2 stems, a screen, and a knob. Well within my mechanical ability to assemble and operate. However the screen has to be made to the correct dimensions to fit the pot and not allow the grinds to escape the slow pressure applied during the pressing motion. This item doesn't. The same grinds when used in the GSI did not have a single pass by, not one. The jetboil attachment however not only allowed passby, it allowed so much that the coffee needed to be strained a 2nd time. Even then there were several grinds in the bottom of the cup.

Yep I read it......

Why is it it only does it for you nobody else.....

I know a few people with them who love em and have never mentioned having blow by....we did not have any blow by last weekend either.....

Strange.......

Im also confused, at 1st you said the coffee press was not made properly & then you said the jet oil let the ground past....

How can the jet boil be at fault if the coffee press is built incorrect....

Hummmmm, I still say its operator error....1st time you used it and you were not doing something correct....

I am not sure you actually read my original post. I said nothing negative about the pot itself. I referenced the coffee press. Its a pretty simple item, 2 stems, a screen, and a knob. Well within my mechanical ability to assemble and operate. However the screen has to be made to the correct dimensions to fit the pot and not allow the grinds to escape the slow pressure applied during the pressing motion. This item doesn't. The same grinds when used in the GSI did not have a single pass by, not one. The jetboil attachment however not only allowed passby, it allowed so much that the coffee needed to be strained a 2nd time. Even then there were several grinds in the bottom of the cup.

Edited by Rampy

Yep I read it......

Why is it it only does it for you nobody else.....

I know a few people with them who love em and have never mentioned having blow by....we did not have any blow by last weekend either.....

Strange.......

Im also confused, at 1st you said the coffee press was not made properly & then you said the jet oil let the ground past....

How can the jet boil be at fault if the coffee press is built incorrect....

Hummmmm, I still say its operator error....1st time you used it and you were not doing something correct....

Both the pot and the press were made by jetboil. You can say what you want but you are wrong. It is not only happening to me, several reviews of the product have stated the same thing. Some even stated that the press would not even touch the walls of the pot when installed. Personally I think they got the wrong press. They make 2 sizes, and yes I had the size for my pot. You don't have a problem with yours great, I and others have had a problem with them. Its not uncommon, in fact it was the main reason for less than stellar reviews that I saw. It was a spur of the moment purchase and only $10 so it was pretty easy to get over it, especially when the store refunded the money with a smile.

One of my squad members would tear off the end of the coffee in the ration packs sprinkle some in his mouth take a swallow of water and swish it around in his mouth then swallow.

Edited by gshayd

One of my squad members would tear off the end of the coffee in the ration packs sprinkle some in his mouth take a swallow of water and swish it around in his mouth then swallow.

That is somebody that has a problem.